Sponsored by:

Help with painted wheel caps & clear lens install

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with painted wheel caps & clear lens install

I'm planning on installing my painted wheel caps and my clear side markers tomorrow. I have a few questions. I've read on the board that you can use a wire hanger to remove the caps, but I haven't read exactly how you do it. How exactly are supposed to bend the hanger? Once they're removed do the new ones just snap in?

My second question is with the clear lenses. Some people on the board recommend following the instructions in the manual for removing the lenses and some people say to just yank them out. It sounds like following the manual is the safest way, do I only need a screwdriver? Any other tips? Thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a small screw driver or alike to pry the caps off. new caps snap on.

the side marker pop out when puled on. no worries.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Put a short bend on the hanger so that you can slip that tip in and then pull them off. You'll want to do it to the two holes simultaneously so that they come out evenly.

For the sides just take it slow,--don't force anything. They're surprisingly easy to remove.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.....the wheel centers you can bend a coat hanger for BOTH holes and pull straight out, The new ones snap into place.

The clear lens.....Read your manual under bulb replacements. You should have gotten a credit-card like card stuck inside your manual case. This is for removing the lens safely without cracking them. It has pics on that shows you where to slide it and it releases two spring clips. I would NOT use a small screwdriver as you could easily crack the lens and perhaps scratch your car. If you cannot locate the plastic card, you can use a regular credit card, BUT wrap a piece of paper around it first. Not only does this offer protection, but will build up the card to the proper thickness.

Good luck with your mods!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:05 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Small screwdriver for the side markers, credit card is for fog light removal!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use s a small screwdriver inserted thru the hole in the wheel well liner. You will find its location in your manual showing how to change bulbs. Removing the small cover is easy. It pops off with a small screwdriver or finger tug once started. Be sure to replace it. Using this opening helps release a retaining spring in the lens rather than just pulling it out.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Small screwdriver for the side markers, credit card is for fog light removal!
Yes...you are correct, I was confused.....Sorry....
Old 01-13-2007, 11:31 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

and remember, after the lens is removed you PUSH DOWN on the wire spring/tension mechanism which wraps around the black plastic piece (i think it's the bulb attachment?) i battled and battled to no avail...had to do a secondary and third search on how to remove the darn the thing

Quick Reply: Help with painted wheel caps & clear lens install