997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a 997 S Cab Some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:34 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Thumbs up Looking for a 997 S Cab Some questions?

I went to the dealer today for service on my 04 Cayenne TT and my wife took a test drive in an 07 997 S Cab (tip) She loved it! While the iron is still hot I need to do some quick research as I am thinnking of either new 07 or nerly new 06. for her fun car.

1. Any substantial differences between 06 and 07?
2. Some have ceramic brakes. they seem expensive and since this a commuter car (not our track vehicle) I'm not sure I want them at any cost.
3. There are some nice 997 4S cabs out there.. Any reason to go with the 4S vs the 2wd? (no snow here).
4. Carrera power option ? ~$16K for what?
Most other options are self explanitory and/or cosmetic. The Bose seems like a good idea and the Nav is a must.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
PS the one she liked was a burgandy metalic with natural leather everything. Looked very sharp!
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:54 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

1. No
2. Not worth the money on a Cab that won't see a race track.
3. 4S = wider hips for looks and more weight in front (less trunk space). It's more a personal pref as the handling is different.
4. Search the forum. Many strong opinions both for and against.
5. If you get a Tip then get Sport Chrono. In sport mode it changes the shift points to a more aggressive shifting style.
Old 01-11-2007 | 09:27 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Heated seats extend the top down seasons.
Old 01-11-2007 | 09:39 PM
birdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by kw_1055
Heated seats extend the top down seasons.
+1
Old 01-11-2007 | 09:45 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

1) TPMS is standard on the 2007, optional on the 2006
2) love my PCCBs; great stopping power, no break dust
3)As mrpc12 said, lots of opinions on the list; I prefer the added margin of safety with the all wheel drive.
4)not my choice, as with PCCBs and an X51 option, you're in Turbo price range, but as they say, "you pays your money and you makes your choices"

Good luck. These cars are great!

Jerry
2006C4S Cabriolet
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:07 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Thanks all for the advice.. Just searched over 100 dealers inventory in 10 states and found only a handful of Carmona Red Cabs.. These things are VERY rare! But it's the color she wants, so off to the dealer in the next few days to try to make a deal. Will still need to upgrade a few parts but not much. Wish me luck!
This one is missing the Bose, but I can upgrade the speakers easily. Also missing a sport exhaust but aftermarkeet stuff is plentiful. Does include heated power seats and 19" Wheels!
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You're getting some good quick advise. You will find that the Carmon red is among the rarest of the colors,--why, I have no idea. This present generation of 911 buyers seen attracted to the silver/grey metallics and black. Period. Do not discount the PCCB brakes. You won't pay the full retail for them if you buy the car used obviously, and they will reduce your brake maintenance cost substantially if you decide to keep the car over 5 years. Seat heaters, of course. Navigation works quite well. Try to find one with the Multifunction steering wheel. Hopefully, some Tiptronic orderer was smart to get that st. wheel. It helps with the radio and the navigational stuff.

Try out all the seats (3 types) for comfort. This can be critical. Forget the 4-wheel drive in your part of the world The PSM keeps you on the road in the wet and won't encroach upon your already limited trunk space.
Old 01-12-2007 | 01:13 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

good luck heres mine
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2007 | 08:46 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Good luck. The carmon red is a rare color. I've only seen one in person.
Old 01-12-2007 | 10:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I take my c2s cab to the track! Best of luck getting your car...you will keep falling in love with it each time you drive it. I suggest you join your local Porsche Club and do a track day. You will be amazed with the car and become a much better driver.
Old 01-12-2007 | 03:12 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I love my Cab, it's sort of what you're looking at. '06 997S, I didn't buy the C4 because I wanted a rear engined rear wheeled drive **** engineered six speed cat-like cornering cheetah-like acceleration with brakes to stop a freight train-------car! And to me the cabriolet does that because it's more 'raw' with the top-down, wind in your face, rear wheel drive and a connection to the car through the six speed.

I'm trying to start a collection of Porsche's so I have a big gallery that will give you a better idea of what you might want

http://www.porscheguys.com/gallery/m...p?g2_itemId=18

Cheers--Brad
Old 01-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Gents,
Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.. Now all that's left is to get the boss to agree to get a new car.. It's much easier when there are a few hundred in inventory around the country.... A lot harder to press when the color choice is scarce. I spent another 3 hrs searching dealers inventory. No luck The sport Chrono would have been nice, but it's not to be. All else can be after it's home. If the deal goes through... If so we'll have twins! (sort of) However I don't think hers will make it to the track very soon.
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:16 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Default Carmon red cabs

Ebay ad 1 Here's a tip 997 (used non-S)

Here's a new one non-S Jim Ellis GA

New C4s Cab Hennessey

C2 Cab Another

Hope these help...
Old 01-12-2007 | 10:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Your 360 is awesome..love the color! I want one of these cars real bad but I need to sell a Fountain powerboat 1st.
Old 01-12-2007 | 10:36 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Default Got It!!!

Took the wife by to "take some pictures" and bought the thing. She won't come home for a few days until the rear spoiler is installed and/or fitted. But here's the details.
07 997 S Cab (Tip)
Carmona Red Metalic/black top
Full Leather Natural Brown Int (Yummy!)
Nav (PCM)
Col wheel caps
19" Sport Design Whls
Delf Dimming Mirrors
Power Seat Pkg
Windstop
Heated Seats
Rear Spoler
XM Sat add on (TBD)
MSRP 113,400 Out the door for 105,500. (plus tax & tags)

Seemed like a reasonable deal given the Virtually non-existant choices with this color combo and TIP..Can't Wait to get her home .. More pics to follow of The Twins... Gotta go now and prepair the nurserry ( Garage Paint!)

Thanks for all the advice. After 8 new Porsches this is our first 911, and we are delighted. Nancy is actually excited about a car for the first time in years! Many more questions to follow on mods... Yipppeeeee!

Quick Reply: Looking for a 997 S Cab Some questions?