Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors - this is pretty entertaining

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree with the cops thinking they totally have the upper hand. Even the CA cop said this, "The only way a radar detector is going to work is if you are in a crowd of vehicles and the officer is using a radar. " As long as you are not out in the open and you use it for situational awareness,(like vulnerable areas where the cops are sneaking around trying to trap you) I think they are of huge benefit. Especially here in CA where there are tons of cars everywhere.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

And these are the people who protect us?
Get your K40 now!!!

Jay
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I travel for business about every week. I drive around 5-6,000 miles a month. I use a Valentine1 and I also have a little Radio Shack walkie-talkie CB I sit in a holder. Lucky my Jeep Grand Cherokee does not like to do 85+mph. The CB is the way to go and the V1 is back up.
I had a radar dector in my possession for a year while I was a race boat inspector. We used it to clock boat speeds in the bracket classes. I bought one of those radar jammers called a Phazer. I tested it against the radar dector and guess what? The Jammer DOES NOT WORK.
from reading that COP site I did not know they can give you a ticket for braking too hard. What do they consider braking to hard from a normal auto to a sports car like a Porsche?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Lmmike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that they won't notice a performance car break hard...they are talking about regular cars. Knock on wood, no tickets, I have V1, scan the road and horizon, and have zr3 laser shifter. I have been saved over 20 times... no tickets. All I can say is I'm glad they think they have the upper hand. I love reading comments made by goof *****!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 AM
boolala
Race Car

Sounds like excellent advice against using a windshield mounted radar detector. 1) if they nab you it's no mercy and 2) in some states (like Ill) they can cite your *** for having an obstruction on the windshield.

Makes the case for a concealed unit like the K40 even more persuasive.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been considering the K-40. My conclusion is that any LEO (latest word added to my vocabulary)pulling me over in my Guards Red 997 Cab is going to look in the front grills for laser detection (I wouldn't even consider the license plate idea) and write me up for the limit. Can the K40's front and rear radar detectors truly be hidden?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Makes the case for a concealed unit like the K40 even more persuasive.
Sounds a bit surreptitious put that way.

If you carry a concealed AK47, I mean A K40, in the vehicle make sure there's no visible evidence.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

haha, it's true though CB's are the way to go.
Plus I bet half the guys on this forum owned one at one time in their life
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by stumil
I've been considering the K-40. My conclusion is that any LEO (latest word added to my vocabulary)pulling me over in my Guards Red 997 Cab is going to look in the front grills for laser detection (I wouldn't even consider the license plate idea) and write me up for the limit. Can the K40's front and rear radar detectors truly be hidden?
The laser and radar dectectors in the K40 are hidden under the bumpers. The only thing visible is the optional laser diffsuer which is mounted under the license plate. Looking from the top of the car even that is not visible. I'll try to take a picture in a couple of days and post it to show you what I mean.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Notice the avatar on the FLPD guy on that site?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
I disagree with the cops thinking they totally have the upper hand. Even the CA cop said this, "The only way a radar detector is going to work is if you are in a crowd of vehicles and the officer is using a radar. " As long as you are not out in the open and you use it for situational awareness,(like vulnerable areas where the cops are sneaking around trying to trap you) I think they are of huge benefit. Especially here in CA where there are tons of cars everywhere.
Additionally, CHP's who are shooting the Ka band, leave their units on as they patrol the highways. Whether on the way to Mammoth, or up the I-5, my V1 provides me with a minimum degree of protection by disclosing their presence. A "brap" from a Ka band is always a CHP cruiser in So Cal.
Of course scannning the horizon behiind you and watching the on-ramps is of equal importance...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

WOW
What a bunch of self-ritcheous a$$holes...I drove from Dallas to Houston with my 8500 doing great work the whole way, and turned it off when I got into the city because I usually don't drive that fast due to the traffic. There was a big convention downtown, so I had to get off on an unfamiliar exit ramp. As my wife and I were looking around for a familiar street, this jerk steps out from behind his parked cruiser and points me over...for going 50 in a 40...on a Sunday with literally no traffic...so this attitude about saving lives is just a bunch bullsh!t...they are just filling their quotas.
And PS- I will continue to use my 8500 religiously.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The advantage you have with detectors is quite simple. Police are generally lazy and impatient. It comes from having to do the same thing day after day,--it's monotonous. In the lazy sense, they will many times simply leave their radar guns in transmit mode so that a RD can sense them a long way off. Their impatience shows when they just can't stand to keep it in standby and wait for the 'high speed roller.' As a result, they give their positions away all the time. It is those two factors that make a RD worthwhile to have.

Over the years my speeding has tapered off considerably. If I'm out on the freeways of California or Oregon I simply put the cruise at 5 mph over the marked speed limit. It helps keep me attentive. They figure that I'm clearly one of those damn Porsche speeders,--just by being in that car, even if I'm going slowly. I listen to my RD just for entertainment and intelligence. It's nice to know what's going on around you. One particularly effective use of RDs and police guns is in bad weather,--thick fog, in particular. I recall one day in Tennesee perhaps where there was a bad accident and the fog was so thick you had no clue what was up ahead. The police responding to the accident left their radar guns in Tx in their cars while responding at the crash scene. It alerted me that something was cooking up ahead. I wasn't speeding but it told me something was happening that requirerd more caution. That's an excellent use of this technology.

What I don't care for are the police who simply lay in wait. I believe that they're more effective in getting their message across by being out there in the traffic, being seen, and they have this effectiveness that can't be matched by simply hiding behind the nearest tree. They should also be out there helping broken down motorists. I recall from years ago watching a suspected CHP car from way to the rear. But it went right by a stranded motorist. I knew then that it couldn't be a cop. They're supposed to help.

I'm having a blast these days with a car that I know will go over 180mph (been there with it in Germany) but I don't HAVE to do it any longer on the highways and byways of the USA. The problem in the USA is not so much the police who are just trying to do their job, but the morons who are driving marginally streetable vehicles, at high speeds, or who populate the left lane at 55 mph when the limit is 70 and feel that they have to be the enforcer for that section of highway. Lane discipline. That's what I would like to see the police aggressively enforce. It's done in Oregon, but rarely in California.

A warning for those in the Oregon area,--they added a new law recently that says that if they catch you going over 100 mph they can take your car.

Happy Motoring.

P.S. In the Santa Barbara area,--Goleta, to be exact, the Goleta Police Department just bought three new BMW bikes. That's what one of you ran across the other evening.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Additionally, CHP's who are shooting the Ka band, leave their units on as they patrol the highways. Whether on the way to Mammoth, or up the I-5, my V1 provides me with a minimum degree of protection by disclosing their presence. A "brap" from a Ka band is always a CHP cruiser in So Cal.
Of course scannning the horizon behiind you and watching the on-ramps is of equal importance...
Not to mention that CA cops can pick people off all day long(because there are so many cars here) that they really don't care if you have a RD IMO. I've never really gotten any dirty looks and mine is in full view.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
P.S. In the Santa Barbara area,--Goleta, to be exact, the Goleta Police Department just bought three new BMW bikes. That's what one of you ran across the other evening.
Nope--it was CHP, Dan.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors - this is pretty entertaining