Sponsored by:

Dragon pic and lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Dragon pic and lowering question

The following pic is yours truly and my other half on a twisty at the Dragon a few weeks back.

The car was in sport mode (inc suspension). It was a sharpish bend taken at a fair speed and it seems that the suspension is maxed out (bottomed). It appears that the ducts (plastic bits on bottom) are only a couple of inches off the ground. I have made no modifications to the stock suspension.

Maybe a silly question but I'm intrigued...what would have happened if the car had been lowered as some have done?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The lowering springs have a higher spring rate so they'll resist bottoming out much better than the stock suspension. The lowering springs also expect you to cut the bump stops to maximize suspension travel.

Your car doesn't look bottomed out in that picture anyway.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Performance_GmbH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditto, BEAUUUUUTIFUL picture... and of course, beautiful car ;-)
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Very nice pic!!

Sorry to be a nag. I've seen too many videos of cars crossing the double yellow on that road. You're in decent shape there, but it doesn't hurt to stay a little further over. You never know who's coming round the bend.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drfous
Very nice pic!!

Sorry to be a nag. I've seen too many videos of cars crossing the double yellow on that road. You're in decent shape there, but it doesn't hurt to stay a little further over. You never know who's coming round the bend.

No worries about being a nag as you highlight an important issue. In this specific instance, at that point I had clear sight of the entire bend and the next one. there was no oncoming traffic at all. Only when entirely comfortable did I stray double yellow territory.

Also remember that being a partial Brit I am used to driving on the other side !

Thanks for the serious pointer though.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I swore I would never act like my parents, but it happens.

Its the other drivers that worry me on those roads (see pic). Glad you enjoyed the ride.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice photo, Haku.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hate to stir up ****e, but you are a full wheel into the oncoming lane. Since I'm on a motorcycle frequently, nothing scares me more than coming around a corner and seeing a car/truck sharing my lane with me.

...sorry, did not see the response posted above...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Hate to stir up ****e, but you are a full wheel into the oncoming lane. Since I'm on a motorcycle frequently, nothing scares me more than coming around a corner and seeing a car/truck sharing my lane with me.

...sorry, did not see the response posted above...
Appreciate your concern and comment, but as I have stated I had a clear view of this and the next bend... however, no excuse and therefore agree I should not have crossed over the yellows.

On a side note... I teamed up with a group of very experienced bikers who frequent the Dragon often. They gave me so many pointers about the route which proved to be incredibly helpful. Truly a terrific bunch of guys.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

May I say that your car looks damn good under loading. When doing the twisties do you hear the little airdams in front of the front wheels scrapping a little occasionally? (I find that a good sign that I'm cranking it good!)
Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
May I say that your car looks damn good under loading. When doing the twisties do you hear the little airdams in front of the front wheels scrapping a little occasionally? (I find that a good sign that I'm cranking it good!)
Dan, nope never heard the plastic airdams scrapping... even under severe and fast twisties. The only scrapping I heard doing the Dragon was the other arf's fingernails on her belly!! She was at times feeling a bit
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Appreciate your concern and comment, but as I have stated I had a clear view of this and the next bend... however, no excuse and therefore agree I should not have crossed over the yellows.

On a side note... I teamed up with a group of very experienced bikers who frequent the Dragon often. They gave me so many pointers about the route which proved to be incredibly helpful. Truly a terrific bunch of guys.

I know what you mean. There are many times you can see through several corners and crossing the yellow doesn't bring any danger with it.

I do like the smile on your passenger's face.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

NIce shot, I love that shot.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBejbl
I do like the smile on your passenger's face.
Yep nice smile...that's cause she saw the camera pointing at her...hehehe...

This is the one before... cripes just as well the darlin' is over the Atlantic as I write this! To be fair, the Dragon is quite a challenge to a passengers constitution. Burps and barfs are apparently common!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Congrats to the photographer...... good shotting....

Quick Reply: Dragon pic and lowering question