Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 PM
lexart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished installation of the GW500 and BTA1500 bluetooth integration module and thought I share my experience.

I've decided to install the GW500 unit in the frunk and the BTA1500 module in the passenger compartment. Eric assured me that BTA1500 would work fine when placed in the frunk but from my many experiences with BT protocol for audio performance I decided to place the BT module in the passenger compartment, much closer to the phone. The thought of BT audio signal going thru the firewall just didn't feel right to me. As many of you know, the BTA1500 comes with 9-pin DIN cable, about 2 feet long. Nearly not long enough to reach the GW500 unit placed in the front. I opted to get an extension cable from this outfit. $10 + shipping - 6 feet in length is just about right to reach the gateway unit placed right bellow the Nav unit DVD drive.

GW500 module installed bellow Nav DVD drive. Power and fiber connector sourced from removed CDR4 changer unit.

View of the extension cable for bluetooth integration module (BTA1500) passing thru the grommet on its way to second grommet in the firewall.

Large grommet and cable installed back in firewall, behind the battery.

I placed the Dension BTA1500 bluetooth module in the space above fuse compartment, right by drivers left leg. Used double-sided tape included in the kit. Easy access, three screws to remove fuse panel cover. The only screws removed in the pass compartment!

The bluetooth integration mic is installed on driver side sun visor. The kit comes with mic mounting designed for visor install only, no other mounting options. This seems like a reasonable place for now. I'll give it a try and see if the location works.

I've posted the rest of the pictures >> here << if you'd like to see more installation detail.

So far everything works great! The BT signal is strong, no drop-outs, but I need to adjust mic sensitivity to make the signal a bit stronger.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:45 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

^^
Now THAT is a great post! Thanks! Just to clarify, you thread JUST the BT1500 cable thru the firewall and into the driver's footwell?

And as far as this pic, I assume you have to peel away and make a hole in the carpet to find the grommet above the brake pedal?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 AM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by bonehead
. . . Just to clarify, you thread JUST the BT1500 cable thru the firewall and into the driver's footwell?
Correct. Assuming that you've decided to keep the iPod in the frunk cubby. The only cable that passes thru the firewall between the GW500 and BTA1500 is the 9-pin DIN extension cable. That's it!

And as far as this pic, I assume you have to peel away and make a hole in the carpet to find the grommet above the brake pedal?
It really *is* quite simple From the outside, push in the large grommet in the firewall and take it out, just poke your finger thru the padding behind interior carpet. The padding already has the cutout and your finger will go right thru to the inside. I could have just passed the head of the extension cable thru but its a bit awkward to get the end in the tight space by the battery. Just tape the cable to coat hanger wire and poke it right thru . . .

Last edited by lexart; 11-27-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
JackQ
Advanced

I just finished (almost) the installation of the Dension and BTA 1500. The navigation of the IPOD really is confusing and the doumentation stinks. I also can not seem to get the song information to display on the PCM screen, what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:44 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Just finished installation of the GW500 and BTA1500 bluetooth integration module and thought I share my experience.

I've decided to install the GW500 unit in the frunk and the BTA1500 module in the passenger compartment. Eric assured me that BTA1500 would work fine when placed in the frunk but from my many experiences with BT protocol for audio performance I decided to place the BT module in the passenger compartment, much closer to the phone. The thought of BT audio signal going thru the firewall just didn't feel right to me. As many of you know, the BTA1500 comes with 9-pin DIN cable, about 2 feet long. Nearly not long enough to reach the GW500 unit placed in the front. I opted to get an extension cable from this outfit. $10 + shipping - 6 feet in length is just about right to reach the gateway unit placed right bellow the Nav unit DVD drive.

GW500 module installed bellow Nav DVD drive. Power and fiber connector sourced from removed CDR4 changer unit.

View of the extension cable for bluetooth integration module (BTA1500) passing thru the grommet on its way to second grommet in the firewall.

Large grommet and cable installed back in firewall, behind the battery.

I placed the Dension BTA1500 bluetooth module in the space above fuse compartment, right by drivers left leg. Used double-sided tape included in the kit. Easy access, three screws to remove fuse panel cover. The only screws removed in the pass compartment!

The bluetooth integration mic is installed on driver side sun visor. The kit comes with mic mounting designed for visor install only, no other mounting options. This seems like a reasonable place for now. I'll give it a try and see if the location works.

I've posted the rest of the pictures >> here << if you'd like to see more installation detail.

So far everything works great! The BT signal is strong, no drop-outs, but I need to adjust mic sensitivity to make the signal a bit stronger.
Hey Amp
Have any updates on your BT install? How's the mic location on the visor working out? Any reception issues?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Ok. I'm officially beaten. After struggling for a good hour just to take out the stupid trim in the trunk (yes, I know.....), I realized I was at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Dension instructions are non-existent. The OLD DIY posted on Planet-9 is very outdated as the connections are no longer the same (now 2 separate FO cable pairs instead of one coming out of the Dension unit)

So,after crouching in the trunk with my back killing me, I called it quits.
I'm a very visual guy. Verbal explanations go into one ear and out the other with me. Is there a comprehensive DIY WITH PICTURES to install the latest version of the GW500 with a CDC (i.e. which cables go where, which connectors to use, etc). Once I can get all the connections down, I think I can get the routing into the cabin with the helpful pictures recently posted on this thread.

TIA
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Nothing? okay
I'll settle for someone telling me how in the world to remove the connections behind the CDC. In my 07TT, the amp and CDC are vertically oriented and at right angles to each other. They are also so close together and the connections right against the floor that it 'looks' impossible to reach without removing the CDC. Is there a way to get to these connections without removing the CDC?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think there is anything to say, its a PIA no question, I removed mine a log time ago and there is a picture of all the parts I had to remove to get to the connections. There are 2 MOST connections in the area one from the Front to CDC, CDC to Amp, Amp to front.

On Mobridge the CDC needs to be out of circuit, Denision does something different.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
I don't think there is anything to say, its a PIA no question, I removed mine a log time ago and there is a picture of all the parts I had to remove to get to the connections. There are 2 MOST connections in the area one from the Front to CDC, CDC to Amp, Amp to front.

On Mobridge the CDC needs to be out of circuit, Denision does something different.
That's an understatement. Only reason I bought the Dension over just replacing the entire head unit with an aftermarket unit (i.e. Pioneer), is I thought it would be easy enough to do myself. I understand that many here have done it with the NONEXISTENT instructions, but I cannot. I'm no simpleton (or 'bonehead', if you will) as I deal with things much more complex than this on a daily basis, but to expect us to wire electronics based on 30 different forum threads each giving only a snippet of outdated information is ridiculous.

Now, I'm irritated and frankly really pissed off that I have to pay someone to install this thing.

Is this install likely very easy? Yes, probably. But I'll never know until proper instructions are available. Stick me in the unsatisfied, will never buy Dension again, category.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For what its worth, I installed my Mobridge in the front but STILL had to remove the CDC (which I sold on ebay and financed the Mobridge)

Its a bit of a tight fit above the drivers side footwell, but at lease I never have to take the back apart again

No comment on the Denision, to much history
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I think there are two areas of difficulty when it comes to the Dension install:
1, the Dension unit is made for all kinds of cars so there would need to be many many different types of detailed instructions.
2, the Porsche installation of the audio gear in different depending on the model you have so there would need to be different instructions for each 911 model.

I know this isn't much help but it leads me to understand why Dension doesn't have step by step instructions for installation. I would actually guess that most car audio devices do not have step by step installation instructions as it us assumed they are installed by a profesional.

For me, the hardest part of the Dension install (related to the lack of instructions) was working out where to plug the fibre optic cables and this was due to the fact that one of the cable ends had a cover on it so it didn't look like it could plug into anything and another cable had a piece missing which was included but only when attached made the cable look like the one in the picture.

I had lots of little bits left over after the install which makes it even harder to know if what you had done was correct.

I don't know how feasible this is but it would be nice to get just the bits you need and have the cables pre-assembled if you specify the car and setup you have. That would have made mny life easier.

In the end, a minor electric shock aside, it all works great and I'm very very happy with my new toy.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I think there are two areas of difficulty when it comes to the Dension install:
1, the Dension unit is made for all kinds of cars so there would need to be many many different types of detailed instructions.
2, the Porsche installation of the audio gear in different depending on the model you have so there would need to be different instructions for each 911 model.

I know this isn't much help but it leads me to understand why Dension doesn't have step by step instructions for installation. I would actually guess that most car audio devices do not have step by step installation instructions as it us assumed they are installed by a profesional.

For me, the hardest part of the Dension install (related to the lack of instructions) was working out where to plug the fibre optic cables and this was due to the fact that one of the cable ends had a cover on it so it didn't look like it could plug into anything and another cable had a piece missing which was included but only when attached made the cable look like the one in the picture.

I had lots of little bits left over after the install which makes it even harder to know if what you had done was correct.

I don't know how feasible this is but it would be nice to get just the bits you need and have the cables pre-assembled if you specify the car and setup you have. That would have made mny life easier.

In the end, a minor electric shock aside, it all works great and I'm very very happy with my new toy.
Exactly right, Kuhan. This is where I am hung up. Telling me that "port 1 needs to go to CDC, port 2 to amp, etc." doesn't help me without knowing how this applies to my particular configuration.

I understand the logistical nightmare it would be to have detailed instructions for every single car with every possible configuration. But something other than a stupid cartoon would be nice.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Give Eric @ Bumperplugs a call. He can answer any of your questions.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. I'm officially beaten. After struggling for a good hour just to take out the stupid trim in the trunk (yes, I know.....), I realized I was at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Dension instructions are non-existent. The OLD DIY posted on Planet-9 is very outdated as the connections are no longer the same (now 2 separate FO cable pairs instead of one coming out of the Dension unit)

So,after crouching in the trunk with my back killing me, I called it quits.
I'm a very visual guy. Verbal explanations go into one ear and out the other with me. Is there a comprehensive DIY WITH PICTURES to install the latest version of the GW500 with a CDC (i.e. which cables go where, which connectors to use, etc). Once I can get all the connections down, I think I can get the routing into the cabin with the helpful pictures recently posted on this thread.

TIA
See my post at https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...o-install.html

If you have issues d/l'd doc, PM me with email address to send you copy.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 AM
alyap
Cruisin'

Bonehead, how far did you get? I worked on mine over the weekend and got it the main unit installed but I have not completed the wiring into the cabin yet. I have a Targa 4 and was having a hard time getting the MOST connection off of the CDC and taking the CDC off the car. I found it easier to unmount the Bose amp and then unscrew the CDC from the brackets to lift the CDC up, then i had to unscrew the cover to the cdc (cover that covers the MOST and power connection so that i could press in a pressure point on the power connection). I have a 2007 Targa4.

Exactly right, Kuhan. This is where I am hung up. Telling me that "port 1 needs to go to CDC, port 2 to amp, etc." doesn't help me without knowing how this applies to my particular configuration.

I understand the logistical nightmare it would be to have detailed instructions for every single car with every possible configuration. But something other than a stupid cartoon would be nice.
That's an understatement. Only reason I bought the Dension over just replacing the entire head unit with an aftermarket unit (i.e. Pioneer), is I thought it would be easy enough to do myself. I understand that many here have done it with the NONEXISTENT instructions, but I cannot. I'm no simpleton (or 'bonehead', if you will) as I deal with things much more complex than this on a daily basis, but to expect us to wire electronics based on 30 different forum threads each giving only a snippet of outdated information is ridiculous.

Now, I'm irritated and frankly really pissed off that I have to pay someone to install this thing.

Is this install likely very easy? Yes, probably. But I'll never know until proper instructions are available. Stick me in the unsatisfied, will never buy Dension again, category.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today