Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Approaching 50k miles - extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Approaching 50k miles - extended warranty?

How many of you have purchased an extended warranty or service contract for your 997?

If so, how have your experiences been with warranty issues, and any recommendations?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 PM
JTW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
How many of you have purchased an extended warranty or service contract for your 997?

If so, how have your experiences been with warranty issues, and any recommendations?
Personally, I would never get a 3rd-party warranty; too many problems and horror stories about prior issues and non-payment of claims. That goes for other products, too, IMO.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

So what are you going to do if you still have your 2005 GT3 in 2009? Sell it just because it's ex-warranty?

Porsche doesn't offer an extended warranty (only third-party warranties) and they won't CPO my car - you can only get a used Porsche CPO'd when it is purchased from the dealer.

I've heard those horror stories, too. The extended warranties offered by Porsche are handled as direct billing by Porsche to the insurance company, and direct payment by the insurance company to Porsche. So at least the owner (me) is not stuck in the middle trying to get paid.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I just purchased a 7yr/100k "premium care" warranty from a dealer in MA. money back at the end if you don't use it, minus $50. Mileage didn't seem to be a big factor except if you were out of warranty you may be limited to 2yrs/36k extra miles.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Wow - money back if you don't use it sounds pretty great. Who is the third-party warranty from? If I purchase a warranty, it will certainly be through the dealer. Each dealer here in the Bay Area offers an extended warranty from a different provider. Prices are about the same - about $3500 and all within $40 of each other. It's a pain trying to sort out and compare the different warranty providers, though.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

My insurer is API, "Premier Care", $100 ded.
ALL prices are negotiable!
here is web link: http://apiprotection.com/
Hopefully they will be there 4ys+1day and 50,001 miles from now!!
The money back for nonusage is limited to $2500 on my contract!, minus $50.
Obviously, with a $2500 carrot, usage will be carefully planned when needed!! They count on that!!
Old 12-17-2006, 02:29 PM
The B
Racer

Almost 50k miles on a 997...I'm impressed. I'm curious as to why the dealer wont CPO your car, can you share that part of your serach? This is something that I thought I has a alternate plan.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:33 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey LarryTrk,

Are they a pretty decent company - have you used them before, have they been around awhile?

The Cayenne is gonna need an extended warranty here pretty soon...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
I just purchased a 7yr/100k "premium care" warranty from a dealer in MA. money back at the end if you don't use it, minus $50. Mileage didn't seem to be a big factor except if you were out of warranty you may be limited to 2yrs/36k extra miles.

Sounds good, but just be careful they will be around if dealer and insurance company went out of business or taken over in the future.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:19 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

This dealership is part of a very large well known multicar network in the MA area.Including several Porsche dealerships. I doubt the dealer will go out of Business in 5yrs, the Insurance co....who knows, but, I will have dealer recourse, if need be!!
I'd like to think I'll get back my $2500 in 7 years!! No need for use, screw the interest I would have accrued!!
I'll pray to the Porsche and the API Gods!!
CPO may be possible more money and less coverage, I believe!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:25 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

CPO is the best coverage - it basically extends the factory warranty without restriction.

However, as the name CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) indicates, you cannot bring your current Porsche to the dealer and ask to have it CPO'd. CPO is only for "Pre-Owned" vehicles that Porsche sells. CPO is a tool to help sell previously owned Porsches. They would rather have you trade in your Porsche for a new one, and then the dealer will CPO your old Porsche and resell it with an extended factory warranty for a hefty premium. CPO allows the dealership to better control and benefit from the second-hand Porsche market.

I suspect there's a fair amount of Porsche ownership churning, because owners get nervous as the ex-warranty date/mileage approaches, motivating them to sell their cars and get new ones. If you could CPO your car without ever selling it for an extra 2-years/50k miles, that would be the way to go. But Porsche would rather you buy a new one.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
CPO is the best coverage - it basically extends the factory warranty without restriction.
Not even close. It is seperate and totally different. It ONLY covers the more major items, which of course if what you really want it for. But it is anything but a warranty like your 4/50.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:16 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 341 Posts

kind of sad that we all freak out about a car that hits 50K miles - that should be nothing.

Quick Reply: Approaching 50k miles - extended warranty?