Sponsored by:

My Dream Car got smashed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts
Default My Dream Car got smashed.

Since I was a kid, probably that kid in the commercial we've all seen, I dreamed of owning a Porsche. On May of 2005 that dream became a reality and since then I enjoyed driving and detailing my baby to the enth degree, winning two Concours along the way. And for those who know me that is my passion. Driving my car and having it look pristine. But yesterday while sitting in a line of traffic a lady in a SUV who never saw me until it was too late smashed into the back of my car. She then fled the scene of the accident, but felt guilty and returned a half hour later when the State Trooper was almost finished filling out the report. He didn't arrest her but gave her a ticket for several violations.
Obviously she's at fault and if my car can be repaired to it's exact specificaitons then I will proceed forward. If not I've already told them I will get a new car. They didn't seem to argue. When I spoke with the auto body shop of Danbury Porshce Dealership they did say rear end damage to the 911 can be very serious. You just don't know until you start to take everything apart. In the pics that I downloaded you can see how the EVO air intake has been bent inward along with the lid locking mechanism. Along with this I'm sure that the alignment is off and who knows about the PASM. I was pushed at least a foot forward after impact. I'd say she was going about 30 mph with brakes locked when she hit me. Lucky I always keep a safe distance away from the car infront of me.
Underneath the only thing I could see was that the Cat part of the muffler is bent in as well. I'm not sure either about the PSE.
Most importantly my Dream car saved me from any injuries, including my back. I walked away.
In the coming days I'll let you know how things proceed, what damaged was incurred, and yes if she can be repaired I will post pics again.
I think the only thing truly hurt were my ego and heart. My baby is gone. An empty spot now sits in the garage.
I only had 9000 miles on her since May of 2005.
I'll keep in touch.

Jay
Old 12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are all right. Cars can always be fixed or replaced. Seems like a lot of people on this board have had their car hit. She was probably on a cell phone....
Old 12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bummer Jay ....

I feel for you man. ... Sure hope the "invisible" damage is minimal and that it can be repaired to your satisfaction. If not, maybe only another new car will do for you. But wait and see how things pan out. Hopefully with the least amount of pain for you.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about this, glad you were not injured. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:32 PM

I too am like you, I enjoy driving and keeping my things looking like new. I know you feel like $hit right now but in all honesty it could have been sooo much worse, it looks to be easily repairable and should look perfect when done .

Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

I got hit 5 minutes after I picked mine up. I feel for you, they fix it, you forget about it. As long as your OK is ALL that matters. Hope it comes soon good as new.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear this. Man have I been there and done that. When it happens it is more upsetting than you can imagine. But things work out in the end. Do some research on diminshed value, as your car even after it is fixed is no longer worth what it was before the accident. Don't know how the laws are in your state, but you may have a chance to get that lost value back. PM me if you want details of what I went through.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Insurance companies have raised the % of damage compared to appraised/FMV to as high as 90% (it used to be ~ 50%) before 'totaling' a vehicle.
It will be difficult to make the argument for a new/replacement vehicle, based on the pictures.
Be sure to document everything, including alignment changes, changes in shifter/cables/alignment, any sign of leaking fluids (engine/transmission/RMS) and keep your insurance company up to date.

Very sorry to hear about your incident, but glad to hear you're OK.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

That's terrible. I'm glad you're ok though. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear you were not hurt. I was hit in the rear at the end of Sep. Almost the same circumstances except mine was a Chrysler 300. Fortunately he hit the breaks just as he hit me so most of the impact was on the energy absorbers and the lower part of the rear bumper cover. No engine cover or engine area damage. In fact all of my repairs were bolt on with all painting of the bumper cover and energy absorber covers done well away from the car.

While it may not feel like it now, once she’s repaired and you’re driving again you’ll be surprised how quickly you forget about the accident. Best of luck in getting her repaired quickly (parts can take at least 7 – 10 working days).
Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Rivan
Advanced

Please accept my sympathy. It is accident like this that makes me don't want to drive my p-car daily. Best of luck in getting your car repair.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Pugnacious
Racer

Sorry to hear the bad news Jay. Accidents do happen but hit and run (even if they eventually return to the scene of the accident) is inexcusable.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Darn, I'm sorry; I have a C2S cab, too, and it makes me feel sick in my stomach to see the damage. I would never want to see my car in that condition. But, of course, everyone is correct in putting things somewhat into perspective. It's repairable/replaceable. Plus, wow, the other driver came back. I don't hear that very often. Best of luck, buddy.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

I try not to drive my 997 around Tucson in the winter when all the snowbirds hit town. There are a lot of rear enders caused by people that drive like my 83 year old mother. I worry about this scenario all the time.

Quick Reply: My Dream Car got smashed.