Thicker steering wheel vs. Multi Function

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
dsts6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thicker steering wheel vs. Multi Function

For a manual transmission Car.
I'm trying to convince someone to ge tthe thicker steering wheel especially because its for a manual car. I think in a manual transmission the multi function has less of a function. Because your always reaching for the stick anyways. Please tell me about your experiences with each steering wheel and what you would recommend.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the thicker wheel and glad I got it. It just feels better, plain and simple. I have 2 BMW's with the multi wheels and I don't miss it on the Porsche. The PCM controls are very easy to get to on the dash.Try them out at a dealer....GR
Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

can someone post pic's of each one?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 144 Posts

I have the MFSW, but all I use is the volume button. It may be more useful if you have nav and phone (I don't), but I'd go with one of the sport wheels...it's not much of a stretch to the console.

Coming from a nice, thick wheel in an E46 M3, at first I didn't like the thinner wheel rim, but it's grown on me...the 997 only needs delicate inputs, and the steering is weighted perfectly.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

IMHO, the round-hub look of the thicker wheel just looks crappy. The MF wheel has the older style triangle airbag, but I agree, I doubt I'd use the controls.

Wish they'd find a more classic look for the wheel, and not use the VW/Mini look for the sport wheel.

What I'd like to see is something as unbelievably perfect as this wheel I have on my C4S Cab:

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Hartley
Intermediate

Eric,

How is the Ipod group purchase coming along? Think they will be released before X-Mas?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsts6
For a manual transmission Car.
I'm trying to convince someone to ge tthe thicker steering wheel especially because its for a manual car. I think in a manual transmission the multi function has less of a function. Because your always reaching for the stick anyways. Please tell me about your experiences with each steering wheel and what you would recommend.
Thanks
It's purely a personal choice depending on how you use the car (commuting versus tackling the twisties on weekend) and how much you are on the phone, twiddling radio dials, etc. I agree it makes more sense with additional options such as phone module and NAV. Otherwise IMHO the $$ is better spent on the thicker wheel.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

More of it has to do with the stuff that you would use the multifunction buttons for. If you, for example, don't have the nav system or the remote CDs then don't bother with it on the wheel.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MF Wheel also has feature offering radio or CD mute button. Not found on other s/wheels
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 AM
avogues
Intermediate

You can have the best of both worlds and get the multi-function steering wheel (431) with a thicker steering wheel (CPA) which is new for model year 2007. Just got that on my C4S. True, its Porsche so it's silly expensive for what it is ($740 on the S models for multi-function plus $930 for the thicker wheel). I like having the functions at my fingertips and with NAV (670) and the phone (666) I find it a bit easier to utilize the functions and keep my eyes on the road more of the time. I also came from an E46 M3 and like the thicker feel of the wheel. For the money, many people like the TechArt wheel which can be fitted with or without multi-function. You can do a search for a picture.

Here is a (not so great) picture of the Porsche "thicker" multi-function steering wheel on my C4S

Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I can get you a picture of a 'Thicker Steering Wheel' off of a cayman S if you're interested. My .02 cents- I dislike it. I'd much rather have the standard multi function steering wheel, or sport wheel. And I've got big hands too! The thicker one feels awefully strange to me........
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by avogues
You can have the best of both worlds and get the multi-function steering wheel (431) with a thicker steering wheel (CPA) which is new for model year 2007.
What hoops did you have to go through for that? Obviously, it's possible, but when I try checking both options in the configurator it won't let me.

The Configurator is never wrong. Trust the Configurator. What is you security clearance level, citizen? Zzzzzzot! Next Clone, please....
Old 12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
avogues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cviles
What hoops did you have to go through for that? Obviously, it's possible, but when I try checking both options in the configurator it won't let me.

The Configurator is never wrong. Trust the Configurator. What is you security clearance level, citizen? Zzzzzzot! Next Clone, please....
Don't question the all knowing, all powerful Configurator! Ignore the German man behind the curtain (he's counting his money).

No hoops at all - just a new option for 2007 that the Configurator doesn't have quite right. Download the option order guide from Renntech and you will have better info on what's available than the Configurator happens to deem worthy of disclosing:
Click Here

Quick Reply: Thicker steering wheel vs. Multi Function