Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add Cleveland to the list of great towns to buy a Porsche in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add Cleveland to the list of great towns to buy a Porsche in...

I tend to avoid franchise dealers when looking for a used car. I feel either I'm being screened by the Maitre de of a two star resturant or being set upon by some poor soul who's two payments behind on something.

I've been looking for a Seal 997-S. More importantly, it had to be 'interesting' and touring oriented. My position when buying used car: a loaded, upper tier model is always cheaper than a base stripper. Porsche, because they don't cluster their options, don't depreciate in quite the same, linear fashion but the rule still seems to apply. Any slight increase in purchase price is well offset by the residual value and pleasure of ownership.

Due to the dearth of qualified Seal's, I expanded my search on cars.com and autotrader.com ...and came upon an 05 Arctic with Cocoa full leather in Cleveland. I made a call...and in 90sec. the owner of the franchise, - who actually puts his out front!? - Bernie Moreno, and I agreed on a figure that would entice me to buy a R/T plane ticket to Cleveland...and bring a bag of money... just in case.

It took m-a-y-b-e sixty seconds for me to absorb the perfect contrast and compliment of the Silver with the full Cocoa. The car looks more British than German (this is about my seventh German car..). The interior looks like one of my wife's old Dressage saddles. Luckily, the rest of it was perfect too. They detailed it 98% (I'm **** about detailing.and they didn't leave me much to do.) They did the annual service, the P-Cert. inspection, balanced the tires and filled it up without any prompting from me, or extra charge. A true bonus.

In a total time of about 90min.; from Chris Sanner, their Porsche salesman, picking me up at the airport.. I was on the Interstate back to Maryland. These 550mi were my first ride in a 997. I spent a bunch of GameBoy-time fiddling with the multi-function wheel and aadjustingthe seats. This car is a helluva leap from our Boxster-S, as a touring car.

I want to publicly thank Porsche of North Olmstead for making this a great experience I want to also thank the colorist at Porsche who approved Cocoa. ..and thanks for all the postings here that kept me ahead of the information curve. I'll take some pictures soon - it's a cool ride. Cheers.

Jim Cancil
Salisbury Maryland

Last edited by wetstuff; 12-04-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wetstuff
I tend to avoid franchise dealers when looking for a used car. I feel either I'm being screened by the Maitre de of a two star resturant or being set upon by some poor soul who's two payments behind on something.

I've been looking for a Seal 997-S. More importantly, it had to be 'interesting' and touring oriented. My position when buying used car: a loaded, upper tier model is always cheaper than a base stripper. Porsche, because they don't cluster their options, don't depreciate in quite the same, linear fashion but the rule still seems to apply. Any slight increase in purchase price is well offset by the residual value and pleasure of ownership.

Due to the dearth of qualified Seal's, I expanded my search on cars.com and autotrader.com ...and came upon an 05 Arctic with Cocoa full leather in Cleveland. I made a call...and in 90sec. the owner of the franchise, - who actually puts his out front!? - Bernie Moreno, and I agreed on a figure that would entice me to buy a R/T plane ticket to Cleveland...and bring a bag of money... just in case.

It took m-a-y-b-e sixty seconds for me to absorb the perfect contrast and compliment of the Silver with the full Cocoa. The car looks more British than German (this is about my seventh German car..). The interior looks like one of my wife's old DDressagesaddles. Luckily, the rest of it was perfect too. They detailed it 98% (I'm **** about detailing.and they didn't leave me much to do.) They did the annual service, the P-Cert. inspection, balanced the tires and filled it up without any prompting from me, or extra charge. A true bonus.

In a total time of about 90min.; from Chris Sanner, their Porsche salesman, picking me up at the airport.. I was on the Interstate back to Maryland. These 550mi were my first ride in a 997. I spent a bunch of GameBoy-time fiddling with the multi-function wheel and aadjustingthe seats. This car is a helluva leap from our Boxster-S, as a touring car.

I want to publicly thank Porsche of North Olmstead for making this a great experience I want to also thank the colorist at Porsche who approved Cocoa. ..and thanks for all the postings here that kept me ahead of the information curve. I'll take some pictures soon - it's a cool ride. Cheers.

Jim Cancil
Salisbury Maryland

I had the excact same experience with them, and have posted several times telling of Porsche of North Olmsted. I flew out from Vegas and bought my car from Bernie. Great treatment, great price...all are class acts over there.

IMHO, there is no other place to buy a Porsche.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same color combination in an 06 and love it.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dario: That is a hike for you! I almost went to Phoenix about six weeks ago ..and those dealers in Dallas take some good pictures, but I'm lucky I found something that didn't need a vacation or flatbed to bring back. Glad to hear my expirence wasn't a freak.

Ya Dodd, it's great, eh? Once your eye shifts from Silver: the hot chocolate bath you are about to take ..draws you inside, bigtime. I had heard-before-seeing: Cocoa was Purple/Brown. Maybe the reference was to the Mauve-ish carpeting?! The actual leather is not 'purple' at all - to my eye. Love-it.

j i m

Quick Reply: Add Cleveland to the list of great towns to buy a Porsche in...