Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow tire pressure leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it's Porsche policy. That's what the dealer said the first time. Although he admitted that the nail was in an area that theroetically could be patched the tire shop refused to do so. What's up with that?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Took my car back from the dealer for 1st year oil service and confirm there was indeed a smal neil at the middle for the tire. Dealer does not do the repair. Got it done at an indy for $51. Hope it takes care of the tire leaks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Got it done at an indy for $51. Hope it takes care of the tire leaks.
Wow, 51 clams. That seems high. Do you know if he patched and plugged?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:53 AM
skate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N rated tires lose their rating after being plugged. A plug alone is not safe especially when speed is concerned. You should at least have a radial patch/plug installed. This is an internal patch with a plug attached that extends out the hole in the tire. The tire would have to have two of these to lose the N rating. A simple plug in tires that carry this type of load put you and other motorists in danger.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

What they did was to plug the hole and seal the inside where the hole was. The seal was almost as thick as a patch.

Ben, they also re-balance the tire and wheel as well. Clean up the old adhasive from the original weight very good. Did not put any damage to the wheel. Look like a good job to me. $51 is high but still better than $500 for a new one.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Oh furthermore, I was running with the neil on it for about 3 months. After I found out yesterday, I decide I need to get it done immediately.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
N rated tires lose their rating after being plugged. A plug alone is not safe especially when speed is concerned. You should at least have a radial patch/plug installed. This is an internal patch with a plug attached that extends out the hole in the tire. The tire would have to have two of these to lose the N rating. A simple plug in tires that carry this type of load put you and other motorists in danger.

So which is it? It loses the rating after one plug or two? In America it seems rather silly, since we have no public roads marked over 75 mph. What's the point of such overkill? I have no problem driving a car with a radial tire plug in a tire. There's so much overkill in this business as there is.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 PM
skate
Intermediate

Dan, don't be so cheap and get the tire replaced or repaired properly. Do some research and you will see the difference between a simple tire plug, as you used, and a radial patch/plug combination. Also let me recommend that you research the forces at work on the tires you drive on at 75 mph. Do what you like, you live in America, you can always blame the accident on someone else. Until they see this thread of course.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Just for information/recording purposes for future Rennlisters with the same "slow leak" problem:

A little over two weeks ago (with about 1,200 miles on it), my TPMS informed me that the driver's side rear tire ("tyre") was flat. It wasn't exactly flat, but had lost about .7 (I had not driven it for about 48 hours before that).

I filled it back up to 4.0 and took it to the dealership where they found a nail in the tire. I had purchased tire insurance when I bought my car, so they ordered a new tire which took 10 days to get here (it was on backorder). In the meantime, I primarily used my other car, but on each of the three days that I did drive the 997, I would usually lose about .4 over the course of the day (not enough for TPMS to freak out).

This morning I finally had time to take the car back to the dealer where they put on the new tire. The dealership is charging the tire insurance directly, so except for the lost time, I had no expenses whatsoever. Pretty neat.

Quick Reply: Slow tire pressure leak