997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F77 Champion MS/Tubi Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006 | 10:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I saw the F77 car in person a a few weeks ago when I stopped into Champ motorsports to speak with them about some things. It's cool in person but they have now gone to 18" wheels for better handling performance. I was suprised at how stock and quiet sounding the Tubi exhaust is at idle and driving arounf the parking lot. You have to really get on it for it to bark. The carbon air intake is a very functional work of art.
Old 12-04-2006 | 02:43 AM
KANSAS997
Instructor

If they have put 18's on that car they had to change those front brakes, because I have that same 8 piston GT set up from Brembo that they claimed to have with the 15" rotors and you can not fit 18's over that caliper. You have to run a 19" at the very least.
Old 12-04-2006 | 05:31 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

40-50 hp? not a chance...get a money back gaurantee
Old 12-04-2006 | 07:35 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by robbonds
40-50 hp? not a chance...get a money back gaurantee
I am not that worried about it. BTW, what did your intake, headers, and reflash net you? I am curious from a point of comparison.
Old 12-04-2006 | 08:43 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Chris-
I have the Evo intake, Awe headers, 300 cell cats, mufflers, and the Evo pump gas (91 oct) flash. I can tell you I did not feel the difference until I had all of them working as one and there is no way I gained 50 freakin horsepower. The power is also in the upper-mid range. (track power) I am going to awd dyno the car in the next week so I will let you guys know what it says. I have a G-Tech but we have had snow on the ground since the flash so I have not even tried a run with that yet as an idea...
Old 12-04-2006 | 10:09 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

The only way your are going to gain lots of HP is from forced air. Any car with HP near 100 per liter will not gain HP from exhaust, intakes or flashing......period......... Looking at that video and notice how closes the rim was to the ground was scary.. Don't hit a crack in the road. I might re-think my idea of going with 20s
Old 12-05-2006 | 12:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by KANSAS997
If they have put 18's on that car they had to change those front brakes, because I have that same 8 piston GT set up from Brembo that they claimed to have with the 15" rotors and you can not fit 18's over that caliper. You have to run a 19" at the very least.
Yes positive they were 18"'s when I asked the sales guy he explained why and that they are now 18"'s.
Old 12-05-2006 | 01:56 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I am not that worried about it. BTW, what did your intake, headers, and reflash net you? I am curious from a point of comparison.

zero - all the claims are bs
Old 12-05-2006 | 06:10 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by robbonds
zero - all the claims are bs
Is that true? What a crock... Thanks for saving me some change. I can use it for driving schools.
Old 12-05-2006 | 06:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Wondering what you think of the claims and dyno charts on company web sites like AWE and Fabspeed. AWE has some pretty interesting data they share. Losing weight at the rear is always a good idea and if there's a "less restrictive" option where the gain is HP and the cost is sound, then that's a reasonable balance.

Some say "if this were possible, Porsche would do it" and I suppose my answer is they do in the GT3, Cup cars, etc. They have racing parts and pieces (intake, headers, etc.) and racing mufflers (if any). If there was no gain for then I'd figure Porsche would just use stock street parts. As to why Porsche wouldn't use better headers on the 997S (my car) I don't have a good theory except that perhaps the headers we have are designed for ease of manufacture and with the cats and mufflers to work together for a reasonable power band and a quiet system. They are "mass produced" for cost consideration, where an aftermarket header might be larger diameter for lower restriction, might be more polished (more expensive, not as "mass produced"), etc.

So I think it's reasonable to think that $3500 in headers / cats / exhaust can give me 28-39 / 28-31 HP / Torque at the crank. With my E46M3, I know I was putting down more power with the AFE / Shark / Borla and I didn't even have aftermarket headers. The cost was "parts" more expensive than BMW made as well as a much louder system. Remember, Porsche (and BMW, etc.) have to keep these quiet to be "civilized" so there's clearly some power robbing muffling going on.

I'm not an expert, engineer, etc. I'm just trying to piece together what sounds reasonable...
Old 12-05-2006 | 09:47 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

robbonds- l must be mis-understanding your response. Are you saying that you did not receive any increase in performance from your intake/exhaust/re-flash upgrades??????????????? That cannot be what you meant.

RonCT- Great post!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:03 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Originally Posted by meaker
The only way your are going to gain lots of HP is from forced air. Any car with HP near 100 per liter will not gain HP from exhaust, intakes or flashing......period......... Looking at that video and notice how closes the rim was to the ground was scary.. Don't hit a crack in the road. I might re-think my idea of going with 20s
I totally disagree that you cannot get hp gains from headers, cats, mufflers, intake, and re-flash. I have personally seen 996 and 997 cars dynoed with these parts and know that there is a noticable difference. I have done these upgrades to my own car and feel a noticiable difference, especially on track. I can pull away with ease from 3.8 "S" cars with my 3.6 non-S car.

That being said- I DO agree that Forced induction via turbo or supercharger is the best way to get true hp gains in a car like a 911. So if you consider 50 hp or above lots of hp then I respect your theory. I will say that most aftermarket companies exaggerate their numbers to keep up with each other. So claims of 50+ hp from bolt on products are BS in most situations.

Most consumers also do not know how to average their performance add-ons for power increase. YOU CANNOT ADD UP ALL THE NUMBERS FROM EACH UPGRADE AND USE THAT TOTAL NUMBER AS YOUR GAIN!!! I see this done all the timee, even on this site. Intakes, exhaust and ECU upgrades work hand in hand, and each does not work without the other. Putting a exhaust on your car does not do crap if you are not putting more air in the motor or feeding more fuel to the mixture. It is simple car tuning 101...
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Hi Rob...my car is all broken in....when we getting together?
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:26 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by KANSAS997
Most consumers also do not know how to average their performance add-ons for power increase. YOU CANNOT ADD UP ALL THE NUMBERS FROM EACH UPGRADE AND USE THAT TOTAL NUMBER AS YOUR GAIN!!! I see this done all the timee, even on this site. Intakes, exhaust and ECU upgrades work hand in hand, and each does not work without the other. Putting a exhaust on your car does not do crap if you are not putting more air in the motor or feeding more fuel to the mixture. It is simple car tuning 101...
I don't know if this was directed at my "math" earlier, but I am well aware of the composite effect of modding the car. I am also very skeptical about power claims, hence my baseline dyno. The dyno doesn't lie...

I am still on the fence until I hear real numbers from someone with the kit. I don't doubt RUF's claims for the Kompressor conversion, so that option is still in the frame. Finally, it's almost a moot point since it is very unlikely I'd ever get to use the added power where I live (Fairfax County, VA).
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:42 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I don't know if this was directed at my "math" earlier, but I am well aware of the composite effect of modding the car. I am also very skeptical about power claims, hence my baseline dyno. The dyno doesn't lie...

I am still on the fence until I hear real numbers from someone with the kit. I don't doubt RUF's claims for the Kompressor conversion, so that option is still in the frame. Finally, it's almost a moot point since it is very unlikely I'd ever get to use the added power where I live (Fairfax County, VA).
No Chris, not directed at you at all... In fact it was not directed at anybody on this thread. I agree with your skepticism. I was simply stating that there are gains from bolt on items and I have seen people add up prducts to equal one stupid big number...

Quick Reply: F77 Champion MS/Tubi Video