Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close to X51 can you get without spending X51 money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Take 30 lbs of unsprung/rotating mass off the car and you will make an improvement in all areas of drivability: dynamics, steering input, throttle response suspension responsiveness. Contrast this with the rather limited usefulness of a small handful of thrust within a limited rpm range. Buying a "x" kit or the latest and greatest model gives some degree of exclusivity but where do you put the sign that says:"I have 20 more hp than you" As for noisy mufflers, oh well.....

totally agree here... what is the weight of PCCB vs STOCK brakes? does anybody have the exact weights for each corner?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x51 is hedious especially now with GT3's out just compare what you get and how much you pay
in both! makes the GT3 a bargin even with a trade !
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Porsche options are complete ripoffs.
I would agree that they are insanely expensive but "...complete ripoffs...." would mean Porsche options do NOTHING. The X51 package clearly does something, therefore it is just insanely expensive. Strictly on ratio of price to effort and materials a $5 cup of candied coffee at Starbucks is more insanely expensive... again based on ratio.

The X51 package is the biggest ripoff of them all and I honestly can't understand why anyone would buy it other than to just blow $16K. And for a whopping extra 11 ft. lbs of torque. Woo hoo!!!
Running strictly by the numbers any Porsche 997 is insanely expensive... compared to a Z06 at 505BHP, a C6 at 400BHP, a M5/M6 at 500BHP, etc.. There is nothing about Porsches that stands up to a strictly numbers comparison between Porsches and other cars, or, between Porsches and Porsches. One simply has to love the driving feel of the 911 to pay these prices, and unfortunately, in my experience anyway, there are no other cars out there that have the driving feel of a 911.

The AWE 911S exhaust system (headers, hi flow cat sections, and mufflers) claims 28-39 crank hp and 28-31 crank torque for $4180. But this certainly isn't covered by your warranty.
For the 3.8 S motor -

Ruf Auto Center's compressor adds on 30 ft. lbs. of torque for $25,000.

Porsche's X51 option adds on 11 ft. lbs. of torque for $16,900.

How can ANYONE believe that a $4180 heads back exhaust can add 28 ft. lbs. of torque? This simply does not pass the common sense test.

Originally Posted by krCRS
x51 is hedious especially now with GT3's out just compare what you get and how much you pay in both! makes the GT3 a bargin even with a trade !
I agree... if, as a 911 driver, you don't need the back seats and don't mind scraping the fascia on supermarket driveways... all of which I do not mind. Especially in exchange for that GT3 motor... BUT the GT3 is still not an option for months and months to come, while, in the mean time as one waits for a GT3 allocation, one could be driving a X51 optioned 911.

Far from being "looney" it is in fact most rational at least within the world of Porsche prices.

Though if one were strictly interested in power numbers in a fine modern auto, one would have to go with a C6 Z06 and send it to Lingenfelter, where for $4,495 + headers the Z06 owner will get a rock solid, daily driving smooth, wolf in sheep's clothing 616 BHP... for $4,495 + headers.

Now, just for ****s and giggles, compare a $4,180 heads back exhaust against a $4,495 top of the engine rebuild by Lingenfelter that includes all of this for the $4,495 -

1) Engine disassembly to allow camshaft replacement
2) Professional degreeing of camshaft and reassembly of engine
3) Lingenfelter custom LS6 ZO6 camshaft by Competition Cams
4 )Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction with 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
5) 160 degree thermostat
6) Crank bolt, gaskets and fluids
7) Professional installation, testing and tuning
8) Chassis dyno report
and...
9) Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty

Compared to the above, even Porsche aftermarket exhausts are insanely expensive.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by c70Pete
totally agree here... what is the weight of PCCB vs STOCK brakes? does anybody have the exact weights for each corner?
On a Carrera S there is a weight savings of approximately 37 pounds. The unsprung and rotating weight savings were my main reason for getting PCCB’s. I am not disappointed with the performance gained or the high tech looks.

Just an observation but the only ones ever dissing X51 are those that don’t have it or can’t afford it. There are some of us that prefer the Carrera S over a GT3 (or TT for that matter) regardless of price and the X51 just makes a Carrera S all the sweeter.

I think after dinner I'll go for a night drive through the mountains where I live in my hideous X51 C2S.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 PM
krC2S
Racer

JohnnyNarcosis
FYI GT3's are now not as hard to find as a couple of months ago it's the RS that's very tough
just call around if interested i have been calling around to find an RS and was offered a GT3 by many dealers
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 AM
bam
Advanced

Another option to be quicker/faster is time on the track and a coach. I have a GT3 and I still get passed by lotus elises and other cars with much less horsepower. It didn't take me long to figure out some of the best bang for the buck is driver education. Probably would cost you less for the miles with grins. Just a thought.

bob
Old 12-03-2006, 12:22 AM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by bam
Another option to be quicker/faster is time on the track and a coach. I have a GT3 and I still get passed by lotus elises and other cars with much less horsepower. It didn't take me long to figure out some of the best bang for the buck is driver education. Probably would cost you less for the miles with grins. Just a thought.

bob
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
On a Carrera S there is a weight savings of approximately 37 pounds. The unsprung and rotating weight savings were my main reason for getting PCCB’s. I am not disappointed with the performance gained or the high tech looks.

Just an observation but the only ones ever dissing X51 are those that don’t have it or can’t afford it. There are some of us that prefer the Carrera S over a GT3 (or TT for that matter) regardless of price and the X51 just makes a Carrera S all the sweeter.

I think after dinner I'll go for a night drive through the mountains where I live in my hideous X51 C2S.
Putting your mouth where your money is? I think most of us could have stretched and made an 85k car a 100k car. Didn't make real sense. Still doesn't. I'd love to see a roll on between a heavily optioned "X" and a stripped "S" (am I cheap, poor, or smart?) I'm on LI w the latter if anyone else is interested. Glad you like your car.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I never understood all the debate over the X51 option. Yes its expensive and probably one of the worst values for the money as Porsche options go but so what. It adds power, a cool airbox and the pse and not everybody wants a GT3 as a street car. I love Porsches but think their pricing is high and I am not thrilled with their a la carte style nickle and diming for every little add on. But I still choose to participate in their game.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
I would agree that they are insanely expensive but "...complete ripoffs...." would mean Porsche options do NOTHING. The X51 package clearly does something, therefore it is just insanely expensive. Strictly on ratio of price to effort and materials a $5 cup of candied coffee at Starbucks is more insanely expensive... again based on ratio.

Running strictly by the numbers any Porsche 997 is insanely expensive... compared to a Z06 at 505BHP, a C6 at 400BHP, a M5/M6 at 500BHP, etc.. There is nothing about Porsches that stands up to a strictly numbers comparison between Porsches and other cars, or, between Porsches and Porsches. One simply has to love the driving feel of the 911 to pay these prices, and unfortunately, in my experience anyway, there are no other cars out there that have the driving feel of a 911.

For the 3.8 S motor -

Ruf Auto Center's compressor adds on 30 ft. lbs. of torque for $25,000.

Porsche's X51 option adds on 11 ft. lbs. of torque for $16,900.

How can ANYONE believe that a $4180 heads back exhaust can add 28 ft. lbs. of torque? This simply does not pass the common sense test.

You forgot the Evoms stage 4 kit including intake, giac flash, headers, cats, mufflers , +40hp for under7k.

For the same price of x51 you can have Evoms super charger , awe tuning full exhaust (headers ,cats, mufflers), +170hp
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Queram
Instructor

How come we never saw a S vs. x51 race? Two of the members that live in the same area should do this for us.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:00 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea! +1

Let's see it!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:13 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
x51 is hedious especially now with GT3's out just compare what you get and how much you pay
in both! makes the GT3 a bargin even with a trade !
hey kman!
take it easy on my car
Originally Posted by bam
another thought is the lotus elise weighs considerably less than the gt3.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably get get with just 3 mods. On my 996, I gained 22 hp at the wheels (about 25 hp at the flywheel) from just a K&N 63-series intake and a pair of Fabspeed mufflers. The 997S has a problem in that the non X51 3.8l has a horribly restrictive set of headers. You could probably get 30 hp(flywheel) from a K&N or EVO intake, a good set of headers and a pair of Fabspeed mufflers. Although you will gain from the headers, you won't gain as much from an intake. The 997 intake box is better flowing than the 996. Keep in mind that you will not get the power gains from a PSE as you would with some of the aftermarket exhausts since PSE uses that same basic 3-chamber design as the regular exhaust rather than a free flowing straight through design.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Just an observation but the only ones ever dissing X51 are those that don’t have it or can’t afford it. [...]

I'm not here to make enemies, I'm not sure whether or not you were being facetious or 'pug-nosed' or just plain Pugnacious But, like others have said 99.99% could have gotten the X51 package if we wanted. I didn't because I want to "personalise" my car by being different and going Aftermarket/Homebrew (hey I'm an Engineer I tinker with stuff). So not to be an ***, just never make assumptions about wealth and cars. There's that sort of wealthy guy that goes around and drives a Lincoln TownCar, ohhhh what's his name again? Ahhh, right-Warren Buffett. You'd never know

So everyone cheer up and get modding

Quick Reply: How close to X51 can you get without spending X51 money?