Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is awd such a "hot" topic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:02 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only other input for this topic would be or question for the group: Why has Porsche chosen to use the AWD version of their technology on the Turbo cars. It started with the 959's and that was because of the Rally Racing they were homoligating for at that time. But they continue to use it now. I wonder how that makes awd and non-awd people look at the car, especially when the "real 911's are not supposed to be awd" attitude starts to bubble to the top of the pot... Are those the same people who drive water cooled 911's? Remember 959's had liquid cooling as well as the GT1's...Or is the real argument that the only modern day 911 to own is a rear wheel drive 993... I like my 997 C4 just fine thank you...
Old 12-03-2006, 04:08 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gt2,gt3 rwd. It has everything to do with what someone is going to do with the car and the road conditions. If there is snow on the road I do not drive my car. If I had AWD I could take it out.
At the track an AWD 911 is slower then a C2 due to HP to the wheels and weight. They are all great C2, C4
Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
gt2,gt3 rwd. It has everything to do with what someone is going to do with the car and the road conditions. If there is snow on the road I do not drive my car. If I had AWD I could take it out.
At the track an AWD 911 is slower then a C2 due to HP to the wheels and weight. They are all great C2, C4
Actually the 997 2S and 4S had identical Nurburgring lap times as driven by W Rohrl. In past models, the C4 series was a bit slower at the ring.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Roberga-
I agree with you, I hope you dont think I was referring to you in my response. I think you are right. I was directing my comments at the group because there has been some interesting comments made with out much thought or consideration. Oh, and btw... we have had snow on the ground for 3 days now and I am not about to take my C4 out in the salt and snow and get it dirty. The car's to beautiful and although I argued in my head at the time of purchase that I would have fun sliding it around in the snow, it aint happen'n... I guess that make me a puss!!! but my car is set up for the track not for bobsledding...
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good client of mine went into shock when I told him I had ordered a C4S, he being a long time Porsche owne,r said real men like driving on the ragged edge and enjoy controilling the demons inherent in the classic Porsche design.
I told him that If I wanted to drive on the ragged edge, I would take my granny's Chevy Impala around my neighborhood at anything approaching the speedlimit!
Smooth, confident motoring is what I am into and any feature which will allow me to utilize better the potential of the car then I am all for! To each his own, but I can tell you one thing I AM THE WORLD'S GREATEST EXPERT ON ME!!!!!
And I prefer the C4/C4S, at the same time I don't criticize somone else's judgment, as I feel they are best qualified to determine what is best for themselves!
Is this an American trait, if you don't do what I do you are an idiot or talentless? Seems pretty coarse to me, not to appreciate the fact that all of us may be Porschefiles, but for different reasons.

Last edited by stubenhocker; 12-05-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 AM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Thanks for the kind words dmoney, and I get your point totally... I spend quite a bit of time in L.A. during the year and if I lived there full time my *** would be drivin the PCH in a cab as well, no doubt about it. I would just have a '73 RS for track days...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by KANSAS997
My only other input for this topic would be or question for the group: Why has Porsche chosen to use the AWD version of their technology on the Turbo cars.
The GT2 is RWD.

AWD enables Turbos to get their power to the ground more effectively. It's also more safe for the majority of buyers. The former doesn't apply to the Carreras; even the S has no problem getting the power down to the rear wheels. The latter, however, does, even though the "demons" mentioned in another post were exorcised from the 911 a while back.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Gotcha Alan-
I know the GT2 is RWD, I should have been more specific...I meant the 997 TT. The cars badged as "Turbo" not the GT2 cars. My question was also retorical. It was directed at the people who insist on showing their lack of knowledge about 911 rwd/awd history and only want to attack those who do not own what they own...

Quick Reply: Why is awd such a "hot" topic?