Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is awd such a "hot" topic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting answers to a question I didn't ask!

I asked why AWD was such a hot topic, not why you should prefer one over the other! It's interesting to see that given the opportunity posters want to go for the jugular to support their preference.

And incidentally Ben I blame you for everything, since Nick has not posted!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And Nick would be.....who???

Don't know Nick. Did you send him a PM to alert him so he could contribute?

If you weren't getting the answers you were looking for you should have stepped in as a moderator of the discussion to steer the thread in the direction you were aiming for. You can't really blame the guys for taking the tack they did when you didn't step in to guide them.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for the C2 v. C4 threads is simple. After the decision to buy a 911, it's the first "option" that a buyer has. That's why we also get a good number of S v. Non S threads as well. However, the benefits of an S is a little more intuitive than that of AWD. The gradations in grip, traction, driving feel between C2 and C4 is difficult to understand if you have never driven them before (preferably back to back).
Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

"yet I can never get my head around why it's so important in a sports car. If it's so important why do Aston Martin's, BMW's M-Series, the Corvette, Ferrari's, Maserati's, M-B AMG's, etc., NOT have awd?"

I was responding to this part of your statement/Question... I was sharing why it was so important in "my" sportscar and why I chose it... and why I feel Porsche uses it vs those other car brands and car models you mentioned. I thought that was your question????
Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

and fyi... 4 matic is available with AMG packaging from Mercedes...
Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben, Kansas997 you're right: sloppy on my part.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

No problem man, I thought it was a great thread and it got some interesting responses...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to the original question... There are a few answers.

Some people just like to stir the pot and make bold proclamations against either RWD or AWD. They are just trolls and / or are totally ignorant of facts (or both).

Some like the decision they made and support it to any end, some times even making ridiculous statements just to try to support their side.

Some don't like the decision they made because they learned later that they could have gotten A instead of B and saved tons of money because they thought B was the only way to go (some blame to the zealots). Example being that there's a specter floating around that early Porsches were unwieldy on the back end, so AWD fixes that (where the reality is the 997 more than any is very well balanced).

While others like me realize there are pros and cons to both RWD and AWD and try to create balanced educational posts when somebody (unfortunately) asks "Buying my first Porsche, can't decide between C2 and C4, what do you guys think..."
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

I think it is wonderful that Porsche allows us so many choices. We can choose between "S" and "non-S", GT3, Turbo, AWD or not, Cab, Targa or Coupe, base seats or sports seats, and on and on. Each of us makes our own value and performance decisions and gets what we want. No matter what you decide, someone, somewhere is going to tell you you should have gotten what they got. But, in the end, the choice is up to you. Get what you want, not what someone else tells you to get. And please don't make a decision for the sake of "resale value". This will be your car, so order it for you. We all have different economic circumstances, weather conditions, and intended uses for the car. Only you can make the final choice. Be grateful that you have the choices to make.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What Tom said - we CT guys have to stick together

The only thing I'd add is this... If you are totally on the fence about an option, then maybe say "oh well, I'll get it to help resale" then that's certainly reasonable. I could see things like Bose, Power Seats, etc. - the more "typical" items that a majority of buyers like. But again, only if you really are on the fence - as Tom said, don't just buy something you don't want for the sake of some possible resale in the future.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

It's based on his number of posts.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
skay
Rennlist Member

3rd factory pick-up Carrera this coming March. First two were C2Ss. This one will be X51, -20mm, PCCB, & 5mm. Can't wait for those Sophia Loren hips.

Just PDE'd for the 4th time in the heart of England & Milbrook. I bet you that no more than 5% of us get anywhere close to what these amazing cars can do.
C2 & C4 drive diff. But when you power both ooze incredible stuff. I'm amazed they're still legal.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

My current 911 is a C4S. It is also my first Porsche. I've wanted a 911 for 33 years, and I've wanted a C4S ever since I saw the first 993 in widebody livery...

It was the perfect decision for me. I think that a lot of people debate this just bc they can't imagine an AWD Porsche as being as sporting as an RWD Porsche. I think they are, but I'm a newbie. The AWD system is well-sussed and, although it's not as incredibly responsive as the electronically controlled PTM system in the 997 Turbo, it's perfect for the way I drive on the street. Track use would be different, no doubt.

I don't like the way the AWD system eats trunk space, but I do like the additional traction, the additional weight over the front wheels and the sense of security it brings to newbie me.

I have a set of 19" Carrera S takeoffs in the garage with Pirelli 240 SnowSports mounted. If I can ever get my *** off the road (next week is week 6, week after is week 7, then Christmas, then Munich...) I'll get the wheels mounted and see what this car can really do.

My next 911? GT3 RS. I just need to get over the colors. <g>

-don
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

The only thing about a cab is this: Many performance enthusiast's do not associate a convertable with a "Top" performance car. Most hard core guys I know want a coupe and are even turned off by a sunroof. "Pay attention to how many people are bitchin' about having a sunroof in their GT3's". Also most tracks and DE events will not let you run a cab without a rollbar, which most cab owners do not want in their cars. So I am not so sure a cab makes you top dog.... maybe topless dog? hahaha... just a thought.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:46 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I lived where it snowed the AWD would be of interest. Since I have no snow and I track 20-30 times a year I will not own an AWD. AWD and RWD each serve a purpose in 911s. They just are not the same.

Quick Reply: Why is awd such a "hot" topic?