Black dials no-cost option -> follow-up question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I could not agree more!

Hey Pug - That car is SCREAMING trick! Very, very nice. Having an X51 in a C4S I can only imagine what a sonic rocket that CS is. I drool.

BTW, since you're in Julian I have to ask how the local apple harvest was this year? Oh, the pie.

USD '87. God I miss SD.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Pressing Sport changes the map, meaning that if it took 4mm of pressing the gas to get 25% throttle, you now only press 3mm to get it. Me, I'd rather just press the pedal the extra mm instead of "tricking" my brain that the car is "faster" or more responsive. That's how it was with my M3.

In fact, many of us M3 guys learned real fast that sport was "bad" on the track - because it made the car more "jumpy" and harder to modulate throttle.
The Sport mode actually reduces throttle travel by 50% which is quite noticeable although it can be a bit to much for driving around town. Where it makes a huge difference is in heel and toe braking/downshifting. A light tap on the throttle sends the rpm's up sharply and it seems calibrated perfectly for that operation. If you heel/toe when you brake and downshift, it's very hard to go back to the standard throttle mapping after using the aggressive setup. Quite frankly, it just feels soft and the pedal travels too far.

In addition to the more aggressive throttle mapping, opening of the PSE (if so equipped) and stiffening of the suspension (for PASM cars), the sport chrono feature also changes the fuel cutoff at the rev limiter to a hard cutoff rather than a soft cutoff. This allows the driver to squeeze a few more rpm out at the top of the rev range before the limiter kicks in.

MC
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
The Sport mode actually reduces throttle travel by 50% which is quite noticeable although it can be a bit to much for driving around town. Where it makes a huge difference is in heel and toe braking/downshifting. A light tap on the throttle sends the rpm's up sharply and it seems calibrated perfectly for that operation. If you heel/toe when you brake and downshift, it's very hard to go back to the standard throttle mapping after using the aggressive setup. Quite frankly, it just feels soft and the pedal travels too far.MC
Same thing the E46M3 did. I think my point is that I agree it changes the map, but I found that non-sport in either the M3 or the 997 was "better" for me. The entire throttle pedal only travels a few inches and it's just as easy for me to press | | as it is for me to press | | much. Where the longer travel is beneficial to me is in brake / throttle / brake transitions where it's less like stabbing the gas - feels more linear.

Like DeNiro said in Ronin - "It's just a tool..." whatever the throttle map, I'll make it work. Then again, if anyone is unhappy with it over time, it's easy enough to get some software that will not only adjust the throttle map, but also optimize performance. As usual - whatever you like is what's right for you ;-)

Quick Reply: Black dials no-cost option -> follow-up question