Old 11-29-2006, 04:38 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
There are threads hanging out of them and I just ran this car 160mph a couple of weeks ago.
Buzz
Personally, I would be happy enough not having a blow-out at those speeds.

I understand where folks get a little miffed when they have to replace rear tires after such short mileages, but nothing is for free -- grip is expensive sometimes

I would keep the hard tires [you were referring to] away from these types of cars. Especially if you have a remote chance of being caught out in the rain.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Spec?

Ok, so I made a deal with the service manager at the dealership. I buy new tires, and he does the alignment on the entire car. He said if it was out of spec he would pay for the tires. That's how sure he was.

Well, it's WAY out of spec... and he welched on the deal to pay for the tires.

The front tires were toed in so much they were pointing at each other. Right rear toe in was totally whacked out. AND, both rear axles were out of spec on camber.
If you're eating tires at 8,000 miles, I suggest you have your alignment checked.
I'm attaching a scan of the alignment read out... before and after. I had it aligned for max tread wear and after blistering a few turns, it's not even noticeable. I'm still talking to POA about the tires. So, I"m out $1000 for two tires. That's ok, I just don't understand why they don't check alignment before the car is sold.
Instead of doing the recall on the exhaust tips... they gave me new ones. Can't complain about that either. See what you think of the attached alignment printout. You CAN get better wear out of your tires without compromising handling. I put the Michelin P2's back on it.

OH, and they told me that Conti tires are going out of business. Better grab them while you can!

www.cheap-rc.com/alignmentspecs.jpg

Buzz
Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Good job on getting it checked instead of believing the nay-sayers.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Perhaps this was covered before but everyone is entitled to a realignment (within 2000 miles) if something doesn't feel right to you. Occasionally things screw up in the shipment of the car,--the way they're chained down, severe weather at sea, whathaveyou. As such, they can come out of alignment enroute.

I was fortunate enough to pick might up at Zuffenhausen with 4 miles on the clock and then was able to get a feel for how the car is supposed to feel fresh from Stuttgart. Later, when I picked it up at my dealership (after amassing some 3700 miles on European roads) I was able to tell if things didn't feel right. Luckily, everything was good and so far, with 5700 miles on the car my tire wear is even across the treads. I'm running on Bridgestones.

Where you live makes a big difference, for example. I recall a friend in Hawaii who used to go through tires all the time,--the high basaltic content of their road surfaces is brutal on tires. HOW you drive, obviously, is another big issue.

To the original poster you have to understand that you're driving a high performance automoble in consumables are expendable and therefore are expected to be sacrificed for ultimate performance. In order to obtain the sort of handling in corners on these cars something has to give. We made our choice that tires would be that expendable. Perhaps you are new to Porsches. This is something that you wind up living with. What I suggest it to try a different brand to see if the treadwear improves. Keep the suspension specs at factory settings. If you compromise their settings for better tire wear,--look out. You can unleash a potential problem for yourself.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Perhaps this was covered before but everyone is entitled to a realignment (within 2000 miles) if something doesn't feel right to you. Occasionally things screw up in the shipment of the car,--the way they're chained down, severe weather at sea, whathaveyou. As such, they can come out of alignment enroute.

I was fortunate enough to pick might up at Zuffenhausen with 4 miles on the clock and then was able to get a feel for how the car is supposed to feel fresh from Stuttgart. Later, when I picked it up at my dealership (after amassing some 3700 miles on European roads) I was able to tell if things didn't feel right. Luckily, everything was good and so far, with 5700 miles on the car my tire wear is even across the treads. I'm running on Bridgestones.

Where you live makes a big difference, for example. I recall a friend in Hawaii who used to go through tires all the time,--the high basaltic content of their road surfaces is brutal on tires. HOW you drive, obviously, is another big issue.

To the original poster you have to understand that you're driving a high performance automoble in consumables are expendable and therefore are expected to be sacrificed for ultimate performance. In order to obtain the sort of handling in corners on these cars something has to give. We made our choice that tires would be that expendable. Perhaps you are new to Porsches. This is something that you wind up living with. What I suggest it to try a different brand to see if the treadwear improves. Keep the suspension specs at factory settings. If you compromise their settings for better tire wear,--look out. You can unleash a potential problem for yourself.
Dan,

I don't think you read my posts. I already covered the part about them being cinched down during shipping, the way I drive, and how the car handles now.
The car has been realigned for max tread wear. If you're running flat across the entire tire tread, you don't have much negative camber. YOUR tires should not wear that way at all. All of these cars are out of spec, or nearly out of spec. I expected the dealership to check the alignment of the car before it was sold. Even Land Rover checks alignment on every one of their vehicles because they know they are out of spec when they arrive. I also understand that tires are consumables. But not that consumable. If you're happy with your alignment, it's ok with me. Mine will still wear on the inside... to take all of the camber out of the rears would be insane. But, when your car is on the alignment jig and every tire is in the red (out of spec), then something is terribly wrong. You don't have to be new to a partiuclar make of car to tell when it is out of whack. Try tracking your car with both front tires toed in.
Anyway.... I got 8700 miles out of tires that were so far out of alignment they were running on the inside of the bottom sidewall. I should be able to get 12 to 15k out of this set. If you're getting 8K out of your rear tires, unless you do burnouts at every traffic light, you're out of alignment.

Quick Reply: Outrageos tire wear