Sponsored by:

THE SEARCH IS FINALLY OVER...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE SEARCH IS FINALLY OVER...

After six+ months of daily grueling searching on every used car website imaginable, I have finally found the car. The negative side effects of this search consisted of losing massivel amounts of productivity at my job and coming dangerously close to alienating my wife, but it was worth it. Finding an immaculate used 997 with the options you want may be challenging, but finding a near-perfect tiptronic 997S can be a sanity-threatening process. Tips are hard to come by, and in Los Angeles they are at a premium (if anyone wants help in finding a tip in SoCal, I'll be happy to pass on what I learned!)

Before I post the specs and photos, I want to thank the entire Rennlist community for putting up with what probably seemed like never ending first time questions: CPO or no CPO? Sport Chrono or no Sport Chrono? S or non-S? (That one was a joke-- of course "S"!!!!!!)

I would like to give special props to the following Rennlisters who went above and beyond in responding to my questions over the past six months: ALEX911S, JCNESQ, FRAYED, 4THPORSCHE, JEREMYR4, COLM, DEANSKI and 993GUY. Furthermore, HUGE favors are owed to the following for actually going to physically inspect cars for me in their local areas: BIGGERTWIN, STEVEN_H, RAKLAW and STRATO58.

Thank you all - Without all you guys, I would be driving the wrong car...

Now on to the car:

2005 997S
- Tiptronic S
- Slate Grey Metallic
- Black Full Leather
- Sport Chrono Package Plus
- Heated Front Seats
- Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
- Navigation for PCM
- Bose High End Sound Package
- Remote CD Changer
- Porsche Crest in Headrest
- Black Mats - Porsche Lettering

The car had 4k miles, and was driven locally by one owner who took extreme good care of the car and had all service records. I chose not to CPO this car, as the condition was immaculate. I was originally looking for a Silver, Seal Grey or Black Car (looked at about 6-8 different launch tip coupes), but ultimately decided to hold out for the Slate which is just AMAZING in person and frankly not as pervasive here in SoCal as the other colors. SportChrono is a MUST in a tiptronic, as the shift patterns are actually different -- its the closest thiing to driving a stick in automatic form and I'm SOOO glad I held out for this!!!! The one thing I didnt think I'd ever be OK with is having manual seats -- this one doesnt have the power seat package, and at the end of the day, I never even notice it. I really love ths car, and probably more so because what I had to endure to get it.

Thanks again to everyone and Happy Holidays!
Dave
Attached Images      
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Great color choice, althought I may be biased....
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

Congrats!!!! I know the feeling... Are you in the garage right now looking at it or are you reading these responses? btw...easy on us non-S guys, we have a method to our madness... Congrats again-enjoy!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats! Must be all the better after the long wait. I am sure you will love it every minute, just as I do mine each and every time I drive it, 27 months after getting it. Enjoy!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Now it is time to get PSE

Hey, what did you end up paying for it? (vs the MSRP of what you would have paid new)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:17 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave,
Major take down, nice ride
The days of looking are over and the days of real driving have just begun. Best of luck with your new ride.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Beautiful Porsche!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Car is beautiful. I'm in a similar boat. Lots of potentials, but not the perfect one. I've also decided to not rush into it.

I'd be happy to hear any pointers you have. Feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,

Your color is perfect. I love this color.
Have fun washing your car.

Paul

Last edited by PAULSPEED; 10-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

Thanks to everyone so far for the congrats & kind words! Living with the daily search for this car has taken up so much of my energy over the past few months, that its' actually kinda weird to go cold turkey and not to logon to autotrader.com every morning to check new listings...but I assure you that it will quickly be a distant memory as I'll be spending all that new found time twisting around Mullholland...

Ronmart & ChrisF -- you both have PM's waiting for you
Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi.

Here is my car after a wash. Nothing better then
to take a picture.

Paul

Last edited by PAULSPEED; 10-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:55 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Dave: Congrats. I did the same thing a couple of years ago looking for a Boxster-S : took almost two months to find the right one/right price - at a Chevy dealer in CT no less...

Now, I've started it all over again looking almost exactly for what you got; except Seal + 6-speed. Luckily, the people who work for me do not have permission to stare at my iMac.. Your next search will be for the perfect Wax/Glaze..which is almost as hard, but cheaper. Cheers.

j i m
Old 11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baileybonds
...its' actually kinda weird to go cold turkey and not to logon to autotrader.com every morning to check new listings...
No need to worry about going cold turkey. Your online addiction will easily transfer here to Rennlist.

Congratulations on your successful search! Sounds like you're extremely happy with your find. And we here are happy for you as well!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally..a 997 owner. That "S" is certainly a step up from the Carrera I checked out for you!!!!
Good for you and best of luck with your new baby.

Quick Reply: THE SEARCH IS FINALLY OVER...