Cayman Press

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Neither did I....

You're reading into it what's not there.
Doesn't say that at all. And it doesn't explicitly say "new car" sales either.
Ben, perhaps your comment regarding the 'preserved' 993 was in jest, but you did say it...

As others have implied, I believe it's you that's reading into what's not there. If what you are understanding is true, the 13 996 sales nationwide for 2006 also includes CPO cars. Do you really believe that?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Do you have a link? Hopefully somewhere there is an explanation of what is being presented. ... Remember. No attribution, no citation.
ben?
just go to renntech.org and look in the news section.
a poster there regularly posts pcna's figures for u.s. sales.
if you were familiar with the format pcna uses for releasing their sales figures you would have recognized the table above.
i did note over the table that the data came from renntech.org
if you don't wanna believe the figures, don't!
no big whoop!?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Ben, perhaps your comment regarding the 'preserved' 993 was in jest, but you did say it...
Did not. Paul did. See above. Who's reading what into what?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If what you are understanding is true, the 13 996 sales nationwide for 2006 also includes CPO cars. Do you really believe that?
CPO sales are listed only in the aggregate, as anyone can plainly see.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
i did note over the table that the data came from renntech.org
Yes, I saw that. And at least it's more than what some here provide when they cite without attribution.

Renntech may host the data, but a link to the source would be helpful for others to verify info that is being used for corroboration purposes. Marketing data is usually supplied with footnotes and other metadata that explains the data.

Wasn't it Brett, The Sage, who said that numbers can be manipulated to say whatever it is you want to say? ... It's just helpful, that's all, to be able to see first hand the referenced information.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I'm I in the freaking Twilight Zone here?

Paul523 initially implied that the 'new' 993 sold last year was an as-new museum piece. Your response implied that the person to receive such a car was fortunate. I simply pointed out that just because the car is shown as 'new', doesn't mean it is a museum piece.

Regarding the totals on the chart, the totals for each model add up to the 'grand total'. If the CPO numbers are part of the grand total, then the totals for each model would have to include CPO cars and new cars...the 13 996s sold in 2006 would then be CPO and new cars, which I sincerely doubt.

Am I missing something here?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Coming from a 914 years ago, a car I truly enjoyed I was initially very excited about the Cayman S.

Then I sat in it. :-( . The 914 has better ergonomics for me, 6'2". My son who is 6'7" couldn't even fit in the Cayman.

We both can fit very comfortably in the 997.

The funny thing is I never see this issue brought up in the articles and I only noticed it - comfort, being mentioned once in this thread.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dndodd
The funny thing is I never see this issue brought up in the articles and I only noticed it - comfort, being mentioned once in this thread.
The auto writers must all be stunted fellows like myself who fit perfectly into the factory sport seat.

But seriously, if I was going to spend a lot of time on the track, a Cayman with the GT3 3.6 would, IMHO, be the best of the Porsche universe. I may pick a standard one up just for my autocrossing pleasure.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,632 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Mooty,
Ive gotta ask... Why do you have three Caymans ?
one for track one for street, one bought by mistake. i am an impulsive shopper, i am afraid. sold one. the other may go soon.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:54 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

I'm so proud of myself for starting a thread as a newbie that has caused such debate... wooopie for me...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KANSAS997
I'll probably getted exiled from rennlist for writing this...
Nah, not RL, just the Cayman section. I think the Cayman looks fugly (the "f" wasn't a type-o) That car could have a V12 in it and I still wouldn't like it. 911 series cars just have great lines, otherwise I'd go buy a Ferarri like Magnum PI. That car is mid-engine and looks a hellava lot cooler!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan- my fault for speculating re the 996 sales figure.... I have noticed BH Porsche for example, among a handful of other dealers, lists a couple of 996 C2 cars as New Inventory. Are they low mileage, never-titled originals?..... would be interesting to know their status for certain. http://beverly-hills.porschedealer.c....php?model=997

Cayman's def getting good press: I admit this is the kind of copy that's compelling enough to want a test drive:

Autoweek-
"With the Cayman S, it was love at first drive. It’s so well-balanced, so smooth and easy to pilot that you don’t want to get out of it. The first few miles in this car were so stable and solid that all that was necessary in corners was to ease the wheel over and let the car hunker down and hold on until the road straightened out. No mid-turn corrections required, no second-guessing by driver or machine. The Cayman S simply takes a set and keeps tracking as the g-meter clicks away..."
Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Paul, BH Porsche moves a lot of inventory. I know that they frequently purchase Porsche executive cars. These cars have not been titled so are officially new, but sometimes the warranty has already started and the cars may have significant miles on them, so they're really 'used' for all intents and purposes.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't we all just get along?

I love the 911 but kept hearing great things about the Cayman so finally I took a test drive to see what the big deal was. I wasn't expecting to like the car and figured it would feel cheap and underpowered (what I disliked about my Elise). I was completely wrong and was frankly blown away (it takes a lot to impress me). After that test drive I couldn't get the Cayman S out of my head and soon after I ordered one. I got my car a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I much prefer it to my wife's C4 Cab. and at $25k less it's a bargain by comparison.

My personal thinking is that if you don't need rear jumpseats there is no reason to buy the base Carrera over the Cayman S. I think the Cayman does everything better for less $. Because they built too many Caymans and priced them too high there are great deals out there as well.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:20 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see the V6 Cayenne sales suck. If Porsche insists on building an SUV, at least it shows that buyers want a little performance in their car. For chrissakes Porsche, a V6 Cayenne has to be the ultimate poseur vehicle. Of the 98 they sold, most were probably delivered with the badge deleted. Ugh.

MC
Old 11-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ringmeister
Can't we all just get along? ....
I agree with Rodney.

Quick Reply: Cayman Press