Sponsored by:

911 - Least reliable sports car list by CR

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
imo Porsche concentrates on performance everything else is secondary. A good example is the 'random' function of the in dash mp3 player which is hardly random at all. I've been lucky with no rattles <knock on wood>.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I believe that the manufacturer of any product should consider the quality of the product they produce as primary. Performance and quality aren't mutually exclusive.

I bought my first 911 in 1970 and it was priced considerably higher than a Vette. The reason that I made that purchase was that I was confident that my 911 had far superior quality to the Vette, and I wasn't disappointed. Today I'm not so certain that's the case.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Consumer Reports? C'mon guys. Next you'll be having a three-page discussion on something written in Motor Trend.
Consumer Reports has been notoriously biased against anything "impractical" (fast & expensive). And their "surveys" are hardly comprehensive. For instance, in the survey we're discussing, several manufacturers are missing, notably Audi.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some balance, the front of Yahoo finance puts the 911 at the top of cars that retain their value.

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/vcars_1.html
Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Johnza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stopped taking these lists seriously. Anecdotally, I often end up owning a car on the lower end of a quality straw poll, I have yet to find agreement between my real life experience and these crappy often prejudiced "reviews". Also I have owned a corvette, mustang etc.. please....

I have owned my 06 p-car for 2000 plus smile filled miles- I am very satisfied with all aspects of the porsche. My wife has a clk 320- we BOTH feel that the p-car is more confortable for road trips. I am not implying that the clk is a buckboard, rather that the porsche can now truly be called a daily driver- not just a specialty car.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:19 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,

A GT-3 sure adds things to the mix.

Paul
Old 11-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Hell my 15k 1990 Mustang GT had fewer rattles and issues at 160k miles than my 83k 911 has had at 5k miles. Doesn't mean I love my 911 any less. It is baffling that for what we pay that the quality of construction just does not seem to meet expectations, but I find if I hit the gas and keep it above 4k rpm I can hear the engine and not the rattles and **** and that keeps me happy.
It's funny you mention that, I have an 83' Ford that only has one rattle - the speedometer cable, and even that is more of a click! That has 95,000 or so miles on it.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Could it be that the competitive pressures of keeping up with front and mid engine cars has resulted in engineering beyond what is necessary for the 911's more traditional brethern?

I suspect it has.

As a result, we tolerate the "issues" because our cars are such damn GOOD LOOKING PERFORMANCE cars.

Last edited by Ron Adair; 11-14-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Very interesting. I got my latest issue of Consumer Reports today and they for once actually have the 911 in the running, but alas, it doesnt get a great reliability review. In fact...my 05 ranks as one of the cars to stay away from. Bad Electircal, major engine trouble, etc, etc.. Good thing I got a nice long warranty. Their review of the car is fairly positive, but they dont recommend it only because of reliability. It was actually ranked number 1 as the higest scoring luxury/performance sports car. Best in the avoidance maneuver catagory and second in the dry braking catagory...so safety is excellent! Also was the third fastest car tested (Carrera S) from 0-60. And...the fifth most satisfying sprots car (ranked by consumer readers) to own.

I would say not too bad!...as long as you have a warranty...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR can take their ratings and shove 'em. 997S #1 All the way.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by RedRocket
Very interesting. I got my latest issue of Consumer Reports today and they for once actually have the 911 in the running, but alas, it doesnt get a great reliability review. In fact...my 05 ranks as one of the cars to stay away from. Bad Electircal, major engine trouble, etc, etc.. Good thing I got a nice long warranty. Their review of the car is fairly positive, but they dont recommend it only because of reliability. It was actually ranked number 1 as the higest scoring luxury/performance sports car. Best in the avoidance maneuver catagory and second in the dry braking catagory...so safety is excellent! Also was the third fastest car tested (Carrera S) from 0-60. And...the fifth most satisfying sprots car (ranked by consumer readers) to own.

I would say not too bad!...as long as you have a warranty...
What were the most reliable sports cars?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

the most reliable in the luxury/performance sports car ratings was the lexus SC430. The Audi S4 was also recommended. keep in mind that CR doesnt have alot of vehicles in this category. The boxster, while in a different catagory (roadster) was rated number 1 and also recommended.

My point in the earlier post was that even though the 911 gets rated poorly in the reliability area, it shines in everything else...making it THE NUMBER 1 rated performance/luxury sports car they have tested with 96 Points (out of 100) rated excellent.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM
blacknight
Instructor

Here are couple JD graphs for reference. It has been an up and down ride for Porsche.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
nssd
2nd Gear

Default if people actually bothered reading the report...

they might learn that CR actually presents a balanced view.

CR actually likes to drive cars that we like to drive (Porsches, Audis and BMWs). The Boxster and 911 are two of the most highly rated cars based on performance. However, the less than outstanding reliability hurts these cars. When was the last time you heard of a Toyota or Lexus or Honda or Acura having such a major issue as an RMS failure???

Anyway, I sensed some people here getting their panties in a bunch. It helps to actually read the piece and check out the data...flame on...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM

good info...when are the 06 jdp's #'s out?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by nssd...
they might learn that CR actually presents a balanced view.
Like their report on child safety seats? Oops.
Consumer Reports gets caught with its pants down about every three or four years.
They apologize...fire the contractors who actually provided the data CR was taking credit for (it really wasn't us! It was them!)...and continues on business-as-usual.
For me, methodology that iffy makes everything they publish highly suspect. Sorry.
In the research industry, CR is not highly regarded. JD Power, however, is.

Last edited by Leader; 03-03-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 911 - Least reliable sports car list by CR