Borla Exhaust early development pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
david borla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust early development pictures

Hi,

This is David Borla from Borla Performance. We are in the process of designing aftermarket headers and exhaust for the naturally aspirated 997 and I wanted to share some of the initial development pictures with you guys in the hopes that we will get some feedback as to what the Porsche community likes and dislikes.

Please keep in mind that these are rough development pictures. The final production part will be much more refined. Actually, these pictures are from early enough in the development process that most of what you see is still stock.

Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Thanks for your help,

db

Picture #1 is totally stock

Picture #2 is with Borla mufflers in place

Picture #3 is one of our tip mock-ups
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Great pictures David. Thanks for sharing. What's the sound characteristic goal of the system? Do you have pictures of the header design?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:23 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by stom_m3
Great pictures David. Thanks for sharing. What's the sound characteristic goal of the system? Do you have pictures of the header design?
We haven't begun the header development yet, will keep you posted on that when we get going. These pictures are of the exhaust development process.

As far as sound goes, we need some direction. Since sound is subjective, the best way for us to know what's right is to ask you guys. Power and durability are mathematically monitored and we strive to maximize both, but sound is different.

My guess is that the 997 community wants something that is more aggressive than stock but not overbearing. Loud enough that you can hear the difference but not so loud that you get a headache, can't talk on your cell phone while driving or your wife refuses to be a passenger. Of course at WOT is when the sound should be most aggressive. I would also imagine that the 997 community is looking for a tonal quality that is a bit deeper and "throatier" than stock.

However, these are assumptions and I would appreciate some feedback directly from 997 owners. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

db
Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly throatier and deeper............Gotta LOVE the tips!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by D.D.
Definatly throatier and deeper............Gotta LOVE the tips!!!
Glad you like the tips. Thanks for letting us know.

db
Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 PM
ziege
Instructor

The tips do look nice.

Most important aspect should be maximum power increase and weight savings... Othewise to me, there isn't much incentive for only sound and appearance improvements...

As far as sound you seem to be hitting the nail on the head... a nice, deep, throaty growl that does not resonate would be ideal. This shouldn't blow your brains out, but you should know its coming.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

David,

1. Needs to be substantially lighter than stock and would be nice to have smaller cans for easy DIY installation.
2. Sounds should be as deep as possible. There should be zero interior noise resonance. Oh, would be great if when you get off the throttle that you would hear some pop from the backpressure.
3. Tips are nice; however, it would be great for to be able to use our OE tips to reduce cost.

Thanks for having us be the focus group.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Go and listen to first... PSE. Then AWE... Finally, Tubi and then you can come up with what sounds really nice. Tubi being one of the favorite ones, but due to cost, passed on.

Don't forget low-cell Cats, say like 100 cell? That too would add to the sound and improve breathing. A good set of headers to add as well.

Weight: Less is MORE!

When you get close to completion, maybe a line-up of att the above along with your new system on same type car non/s or s with audio clips of each. Tall order, but gives everyone which sound and performance level they want to go with.

I'm shocked that this wan't done sooner, but glad to hear your working on it!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

David,
As you already know from my past messages - I loved my E46M3 Borla. I agree with other posters that there needs to be a substantial weight savings and the "burble" I would get from time to time would be wonderful. Deep throated, but not obnoxious.

The M3 Borla was a bit louder than I would have liked around the neighborhood - I just couldn't sneak in or out. But the scream from say 4500 to 8k was just wonderful music, especially with the AFE. With the 997S I'd hope for a bit more depth and slightly more volume, ramping up to mechanical music at the higher revs so that when I want to laze around the neighborhood, I can do that, but when I'm on the track (or on-ramp), I can get that special Borla Grin.

Honestly, I'm not feeling it with the tips. I'd just assume have stock tips - eye candy means nothing to me, but performance, simplicity, weight savings do.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 PM
QuickSix
Track Day

I agree with deanski. I like the Tubi sound the best but didn't buy it because of the price.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I would say that the ability to mount to the OE tips is a definate plus...those, IMHO remind me of a 'vette.......just my opinion..... sound wise, the PSE is wonderful, as is the AWE and Fabspeed.But the PSE as wonderful as it is, it's very heavy, and there is no power gain whatsoever.

It seems that a system that could easily mount to the OE tips, have a sound similar to the PSE, but still distinctly BORLA......AND increases power and reduce weight.... Even if it's a little will be a winner.

You've already got a great name, I know by experience that the Porsche crowd is a very distinct crowd, and at times, very hard to please. BUT when you win, you WIN big and they are EXTREMELY loyal.

Chris

Ps. I've known your company since i was 14 (I'm 33 now) back when I had my 1986 mustang 5.0, and I know you guys can make some incredible systems. Very impressive that a company of your size and reputation would ask this community it's opinion.

Very impressive indeed!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks great David, I can't wait to get my car back on the road and let everyone know my thoughts on the system! Thanks a lot for the oppurtunity to help Borla out, i'm glad my car could be of good use to you. As far as my personal input, other than the obvious such as being lightweight and able to make power, my favorite Porsche exhaust tones are the 996 C4s, as well as the Tubi. Both are much louder deeper and throatier than my car sounds now. As far as the tips, correct me if i'm wrong but they will be included with the system unlike the other systems that don't come with tips or charge hundreds for a set of tips.Regarding the style, it's nice but looking through your catalog in the office I also liked the more simple round rolled angled cut, as seen on the turbo at Sema.

Last edited by 997driver; 11-10-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Mr. Borla, thank you for posting here and asking for advice from Porsche owners. Personally my self I am more into function over form. I would rather have a exhaust system that really does product more power than one that just sounds good. Also on the performance side please make sure your mufflers are much lighter than stock or Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE).
I have Fabspeed mufflers on my car right now. They sound awesome under throttle and get even better as the rpm's get up to 5000 and on up to redline at 7200rpm. They sound as close as a Porsche racing cup car as I have ever heard.
The tips look very very nice too. Maybe offer 2 or 3 style of bolt on tips. This would give the customer a choice he does not have with other company's. Also lastly be very price competitive with Fabspeed and AWE. There mufflers are $1150 which I feel is way too expensive. I see Borla new Corvette mufflers are much less money than Porsche 996 and 997 mufflers so hopefully Borla can come into the market extremely price competitve.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

Thanks for the opportunity to respond… system should:

-Allow the OEM tips (S and Non-S)
-Sound between (PSE, Tubi)
-HP gains
-Reduce weight
-Sell price around ($800-900)

If you can meet the above objective they will sell like hot-cakes!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
CJC
Instructor

David,
Just checking does the 997 system fit the 997S 3.6 vs 3.8 ?
Thanks
Craig

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust early development pictures