Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Exhaust early development pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a shot at Borla as it relates to my experience with the Borla exhaust on my E46 M3...

But the fitment/design of the Borla exhaust on my M3 was horrible. The sound was all right which is totally subjective, but the actual way they built it/designed it left me wondering where all the money went.

The Borla unit on the E46 M3 is two pieces and the passenger side piece would never line up correctly and would wobble on any sort of bump due to what I feel is poor design.

I hope you guys are doing better on the 911.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear your dissapointments with Borla, Choi, but many have had only positive things to say about their Borlas on their other cars. I don't think quality will be an issue with this piece, as I have one on my car first hand, and everything lines up correctly and nothing wobbles.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
david borla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
This is not a shot at Borla as it relates to my experience with the Borla exhaust on my E46 M3...

But the fitment/design of the Borla exhaust on my M3 was horrible. The sound was all right which is totally subjective, but the actual way they built it/designed it left me wondering where all the money went.

The Borla unit on the E46 M3 is two pieces and the passenger side piece would never line up correctly and would wobble on any sort of bump due to what I feel is poor design.

Have you given us a chance to resolve the fitment issue? We have sold thousand of these systems and have made many M3 owners very happy. I am certain that we can satisfy your needs as well. Please use our outstanding customer service team to ensure you are satisfied. In fact, if you want to email me directly at davidb@borla.com I will see to it personally.

Thanks for the feedback!

db
Old 06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
997driver
Racer

Originally Posted by david borla
The production piece is identical to your prototype. We are receiving a large volume of positive feedback regarding the sound of this system. Thanks for your interest.
I'm glad to hear that Dave, you guys really hit the nail with this one. It just sounds so good
Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Duplicate the sound and quality of Europipe for half the price (2500) and you will own the market. Go on their website and listen to the sound clips. http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
Old 06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

Well as someone else who had the Borla on a E46 M3 I had no issues with it bobbling or poor fit. It only fit somewhat poor when I added the Supersprint midpipe which was .25" to long on one side. I remember your problems when they first came out with the muffler reading about it on M3 forums. I fortunately never had these issues.

That being said when it came to the E46 M3 the exhaust was very difficult to deal with. Supersprint, Eisenmann they all had issues with the E46 M3 exhaust. Supersprints and Eisenmann's kept breaking, I know I had the Eisi and I am sure you read about the Supersprint breaking as well.

The Borla exhaust was one of the very few exhaust that actually made some hp on the M3. The GruppeM or Motek and such were $2k piece of art that made no power at all. The Borla and Superspint were the only ones that set the exhaust up with a true 2 can setup which is favorable to me. The 997 shouldn't have any of these issues as the exhaust can really only be one way.

Dave
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Duplicate the sound and quality of Europipe for half the price (2500) and you will own the market. Go on their website and listen to the sound clips. http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
Borla is going to be much more aggressive than the Europipe setup..can't wait especially with 200cpi race cats and headers.

Dave
Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 PM
997driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Borla is going to be much more aggressive than the Europipe setup..can't wait especially with 200cpi race cats and headers.

Dave
Definitely, just from those videos alone, I can tell the Borla has much more growl to it. I can only imagine what those race cats are going to do to the Borla's menacing sound.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

997driver - one of my major concerns with ANY aftermarket exhaust system is interior resonance. This is one of the things that has kept me away from some systems. In your experience with your system do you experience any resonance?

Thanks very much.

Matt
Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Well as someone else who had the Borla on a E46 M3 I had no issues with it bobbling or poor fit. It only fit somewhat poor when I added the Supersprint midpipe which was .25" to long on one side. I remember your problems when they first came out with the muffler reading about it on M3 forums. I fortunately never had these issues.

That being said when it came to the E46 M3 the exhaust was very difficult to deal with. Supersprint, Eisenmann they all had issues with the E46 M3 exhaust. Supersprints and Eisenmann's kept breaking, I know I had the Eisi and I am sure you read about the Supersprint breaking as well.

The Borla exhaust was one of the very few exhaust that actually made some hp on the M3. The GruppeM or Motek and such were $2k piece of art that made no power at all. The Borla and Superspint were the only ones that set the exhaust up with a true 2 can setup which is favorable to me. The 997 shouldn't have any of these issues as the exhaust can really only be one way.

Dave
Nah, every Borla I've seen in person always had the passenger side dangling a bit off from the other and it would move in movement because they fit on the stock hangars. If it fit right, it's because the owner went through some custom mods to get it to stick on correctly.

There's no variation about it. It's not a 1 piece design like most other E46 M3 exhausts. Plus, you can see through to the heat shield material because there is no muffler part behind the passenger tip which looks rather poor IMO.

I then went to the Larini and you are correct... aftermarket companies in general do have a tough time getting the exact fit consistently since there are even slight variations between cars. But this doesn't make the Borla any better does it now?

For the price, the Borla unit was a good value, but to me, I'd pay more for better sound (Borla on the M3 was a bit too quiet) and better looks. And I'm not even going to begin splitting hairs with you about how an aftermarket exhaust on a high strung NA engine pounded out more HP than the next brand when it's negilible to begin with comparing it to the factory unit.

I appreciate Davidb stepping up, but I've sold the M3 a while ago so it no longer applies to me.

Sorry for the tangent. I hope the 997 unit fits spot-on, doesn't jiggle around any more than the factory units, and sounds crazy good.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
david borla
Advanced

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is a value to all opinions. It just so happens that Tony Kanaan of IRL fame has 2 E46 BMW M3s with the Borla exhaust in question. One for him and one for his wife.

He personally told me he loves them and had no negative issues with them at all. As a matter of fact, he was so happy with the Borla product that he sent us this testimonial for us to use in our advertising.

"As everyone knows I love fast cars. While I get the racing out of my system on the track, I do love performance street cars. I try to pick the best parts to step these cars up. I have installed Borla exhaust on my street cars and I am impressed. The look, the sound and the performance. Perfect." - Tony Kanaan

This is an unsolicited testimonial and he's referring specifically to our M3 system. The same one in question. We do not "sponsor" Tony Kanaan..

Just thought that I'd show another opinion of our products.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Thanks for the heads up. With all due respect, we have them beat on sound and quality. What kind of warranty do they offer?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by david borla
Thanks for the heads up. With all due respect, we have them beat on sound and quality. What kind of warranty do they offer?
Have them beat on sound and quality... ??
With all due respect, how do you beat anyone on sound? And quality is almost as subjective.....

Not a slam, as I put a Borla on my 87 Carrera... It had the single tip and sounded ok. The "Million Mile Warranty" was a slick marketing tool that used effectively, back in the day...

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Have them beat on sound and quality... ??
With all due respect, how do you beat anyone on sound? And quality is almost as subjective.....

Not a slam, as I put a Borla on my 87 Carrera... It had the single tip and sounded ok. The "Million Mile Warranty" was a slick marketing tool that used effectively, back in the day...

Sorry if that came off as arrogant. I simply have a lot of confidence in our products. When you put heart and soul into something that has your family name on it you tend to get a bit protective.

Sound is subjective for sure. Quality is not as subjective but still may be to a certain extent. What type of warranty do they offer?

db
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I had Borla on the past 4 Corvette's I've owned from complete systems to just mufflers. I had zero problems with any of the systems. The guys in my Corvette club had Borla too and none had problems.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust early development pictures