Sponsored by:

Borla Exhaust early development pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b911s
No offence, but are you kidding about the weight difference in the the tips with the Borla fins and standard round tips.Take a dump before you go out on the track and you'll save the wait difference, or cut down on the ice cream, also invest in a lighter helmet, shoes, gloves, dont wear socks, no underware, remove all your carpet, strip out the radio, remove the passanger seat, rear seats, no sun visors, remove all the emblems from the car, turn signal stocks, remove all the bulbs from the headlamps and turn signals, all the plastic trim in the trunk, take out your side windows, remove the arm rests, headliner, interior trim, etc etc, I could go on and on. Look, these are mainly street cars that we occaisonally take to the track, even if you do it 20 times a year for DE events it's still occaisional. You cant bust these guys nuts for a pound or 2. If you were that worried about weight you would step up to the plate and spend the money and have a custom titanium exhaust made. Not preach to a mass manufacture about it. Actually you should really step up to the plate and buy a full blown race car. I dont think there is a professional driver in the world that could make better lap times with tips that weigh 2 pounds more or less. In addition those are Borla's trademark tips and I think thats one of the things that set them apart. Buy the exhaust and have custom tips to your liking made if you what a Borla that bad and dont like em.

Ok, well flame away, I can dish it out as well as take it. Just my .02. Plus this makes for better reading!
Weight difference is for the "cans" which, everyone seems to know except you, mean mufflers.

Flame away? Who cares?

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 11-14-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: had to puke a little
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
david borla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoney
David, how much true h.p. can we expect to see and what type of sound are you aiming for...

Thanks for your interest,

We are early enough in our development that we have not done any dyno work other than the stock baseline so I'm am not sure about what kind of power to expect yet and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone. I can tell you however that we will be offering at least two systems if not more for the 997. Basically they will fall into two categories (race and street) with, per the suggestions of this forum, tip options also (intercooled and non-intercooled).

There will be a big difference in power between the two systems because the race system will be for track/off road use only and will eliminate the catalytic converters. Obviously there is much restriction in the cats but federal law prohibits cat removal or replacement (even with hi-flo cats) so our street legal system HAS to work with the OE cats. You might be surprised to know that even systems that replace the factory catalytic converter with an aftermarket converter are illegal according to federal law (EPA).

The race system will be a full header back exhaust and will include our patented vacuum wave collector mufflers

http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=5&type=67&desc=XR-1%26reg%3b+Racing+Exhaust|XR-1%26reg%3b+Collector+Mufflers

Borla vacuum wave collector mufflers are the mufflers of choice for many super-comp drag racers (see attached picture with Borla headers as well) and we use these mufflers in the crtically acclaimed header system we designed for the Ford GT (Ford racing) because they are highly effective with high output engine configurations and actually CREATE POWER. I am certain that the Porsche community will be pleased with the HP gains from this system.

The "street" system will include shorty headers and Borla's XR1 patented multicore mufflers while utilizing the factory cats. "Multicore" technology is one of the many exhaust patents Borla owns and it refers to any muffler with 3 or more cores. Using multiple cores allows us to increase the internal diameter of our mufflers (allowing greater flow) while maintaining a desireable sound attenuation. I am also certain that the Porsche community will be please with the HP gains from this system.

Due to the utilization of Borla's patents, these systems will also undoubtedly sound different (and hopefully better in your opinion) than any other system currently on the market. Of course sound is subjective and it's ultimately up to the Porsche community to decide if the sound is desireable. All we can do is use our knowledge of sound attenuation and 28 years of experience to design what we feel will be well received.

We DO NOT use multi-core and vacuum-wave technology in the majority of our products because it would be overkill. However, both technologies are highly appropriate for this application.

Please let us know your thoughts and thanks again for all of your assistance.

db
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

David,

Sounds perfect - something for everyone. Track only system, Street System with basic tips or "fancy". When can I get one? ;-)

Ron
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Sounds great!

Re: lighter tips
well as a general rule of thumb for every ten pounds removed, add one horsepower. So 2lb's here, a lb there, a few hundred grams all over the car, etc... And eventually it'll begin to add up. The extra lightness and weight savings on the exhaust is more of a side benefit, something that's thrown in the marketing... Because again, a lb here, and there.... Eventually it begins to add up. Even more so if you pull carpeting and the like...
Or as you so eloquently put it, if you take a dump before you go on track....
If that weighs two lbs, and the tips weigh two lbs, you've just gained .4 horses...
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

It also matters where the weight reduction occurs, Bret...in the case of the mufflers it's in the right spot to improve handling.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmoney
David, thanks for all the info please continue to update us as things progress, im sure you will do quite well from us renlisters, borla has always been at the top of list from way back when... lets talk soon.
p.s. those borla tips look real hot...well done....
Thanks Appreciate the kind words!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris C.
It also matters where the weight reduction occurs, Bret...in the case of the mufflers it's in the right spot to improve handling.
Yeah that too, I thought of that afterwards actually but alas, was too lazy to edit my post.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 PM
DK911
Advanced

Thanks for keeping us posted, I'm looking for an exhaust for my C2S. Also, I vote for stock appearing tips since mine can't be used.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:51 AM
jnsv
Intermediate

so david,

when can we expect the completion of the exhaust......do u have an approximate ETA?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave
It's been quite a while now. Any sound clips yet of the prototypes so we can give our collective opinions?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by jnsv
so david,

when can we expect the completion of the exhaust......do u have an approximate ETA?
We are in the process of building and calibrating production fixtures for this system. Once this is done the system will be drawn and then released! A few weeks at most...

db
Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David...am holding off on exhaust purchase till I hear yours, which I prefer. Need sound clips and pics...Perhaps you could post on a separate thread when ready so as not to lose the new launch of your exhaust in an old thread...Can't wait till it's ready...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

looks real nice.......
Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Dave, do you think the exhaust will sound radically different from the prototype on my car? I could post video clips of it if you don't mind.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey Dave - Any updates ?

Thanks

Matt

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust early development pictures