Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Exhaust early development pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I much prefer the look of the Dual Round Rolled Angle-Cut - much less 'busy' - Porsches have akways had a 'clean looks' 9well up until the new turbo, yuck!) and I think the cleaner tip design might help.

Intercooled tips? Is this a marketing gimmick? I'm not convinced, that's all - sell them to me
Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Borla full exhaust would be a HUGE hit if they could come in as the same price for a C6 Vette full exhaust price. I look at the Ecklers catalog and see a full Vette exhaust for as much as us Porsche owners pay for mufflers only! I just do not understand why a Porsche exhaust cost's so much freakin' more than a Vette exhaust? Same materials and less piping than the Vette so the cost should be the same or even less.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like the tips even more after looking at the pictures more, it gives it distinction among the other exhausts. It doesn't look stock, and it doesn't look like other aftermarket exhausts. It'll give it a distinct Borla identity.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
johnny,
ruf will sc an x51!
however, since they lower the compression ratio and replace the intake manifiolds the
end result is pretty much the same as putting a kompressor on a regular 3.8 liter engine.
Life is getting weird. Now engine shops won't take my $25 grand. I got an email return from RUF... Gunther, or Wolfgang, or Ricky Bobbie... (forget the name as it's on the other computer) saying nothing more than "...we don't supercharge X51 motors. Best regards..."

In my initial email to them I did ask alot of questions though, like... How much does the kit weigh?, How would the kit's power numbers translate to an X51?, Do I get to keep all the parts that come off the motor?

Damn, now engine builders shine me on, too. Women and engine builders... I never would have thunk it.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Women and engine builders... I never would have thunk it.
DEFIANTLY Women!!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Life is getting weird. Now engine shops won't take my $25 grand. I got an email return from RUF... Gunther, or Wolfgang, or Ricky Bobbie... (forget the name as it's on the other computer) saying nothing more than "...we don't supercharge X51 motors. Best regards..."

In my initial email to them I did ask alot of questions though, like... How much does the kit weigh?, How would the kit's power numbers translate to an X51?, Do I get to keep all the parts that come off the motor?

Damn, now engine builders shine me on, too. Women and engine builders... I never would have thunk it.
Don't know about the weight or the X51 question but you can keep all the takeoff parts except the cats and the ECU.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 PM
ngregson
Intermediate

I just do not understand why a Porsche exhaust cost's so much freakin' more than a Vette exhaust? Same materials and less piping than the Vette so the cost should be the same or even less.
Because they can get away with it. I has nothing to do with the cost of production, and everything to do with the relative price sensitivity of the customers. People who can afford Porsche 911's are on average richer than the average Corvette owner and are less price sensitive. Plus, the target market for the Vette exhaust will be much bigger, so guess the cost of design/production of the exhaust will be amortized over a larger number of units. There's way more to it than the cost of materials...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Looks good. Since you are at it...how about re-releasing the exhaust system you once sold for the 964 models?

There are many of these cars still on the road and some of us have a need for a well made, American made exhaust.

Thanks for your consideration
Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
david borla
Advanced

Originally Posted by Very Risky
Should you need a local S to test on, look me up.

Thanks,

will do.

db
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM
david borla
Advanced

After reading your posts we researched the possiblity of having the option of using OEM tips. Unfortunately, we found that the inlet diameter of the OEM tips is too small to be used in conjunction with the Borla system. Without getting too technical, Borla's tuning process includes utilizing less restictive mufflers, tubing and tips than the OE. In this case, the less restrictive Borla mufflers and bends are defeated by the restrictive OEM tip. Fluid dynamics tells us that a major restriction at any point in the system will control the flow for the entire system. In other words, the restriction in the tips can actually cause unwanted back pressure. This is also a reason that Borla often times doesn't build the biggest tubing for a particular application. We look at the diameter of the exhaust valve, the exhaut ports and the catalytic converter to generate a combination that is "tuned" for maximum velocity and performance. In this case that means NOT using the OEM tips.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

David,

I personally am not suggesting OEM tips, but rather that there be "plain" tips that are most efficient and functional. If people want a multi-piece "expensive" tip option, then they can perhaps pay for it. On the other hand, enthusiast track junkies that want the lowest possible weight can take the "standard tip".
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

David Borla, you all know what is going on so I can't wait for your system. Also thanks for asking for our opions on this forum! I see you are in Oxnard, CA. I work for DW Drums and we manufacture all our products in Oxnard and the sales office is there too. However I am in Tampa FL and handle sales and product knowledge for the Southeast, I get out to Oxnard about once a year. My boss has a new Carrera too.
see ya, Mike Carter
Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 AM
b911s
Intermediate

No offence, but are you kidding about the weight difference in the the tips with the Borla fins and standard round tips.Take a dump before you go out on the track and you'll save the wait difference, or cut down on the ice cream, also invest in a lighter helmet, shoes, gloves, dont wear socks, no underware, remove all your carpet, strip out the radio, remove the passanger seat, rear seats, no sun visors, remove all the emblems from the car, turn signal stocks, remove all the bulbs from the headlamps and turn signals, all the plastic trim in the trunk, take out your side windows, remove the arm rests, headliner, interior trim, etc etc, I could go on and on. Look, these are mainly street cars that we occaisonally take to the track, even if you do it 20 times a year for DE events it's still occaisional. You cant bust these guys nuts for a pound or 2. If you were that worried about weight you would step up to the plate and spend the money and have a custom titanium exhaust made. Not preach to a mass manufacture about it. Actually you should really step up to the plate and buy a full blown race car. I dont think there is a professional driver in the world that could make better lap times with tips that weigh 2 pounds more or less. In addition those are Borla's trademark tips and I think thats one of the things that set them apart. Buy the exhaust and have custom tips to your liking made if you what a Borla that bad and dont like em.

Ok, well flame away, I can dish it out as well as take it. Just my .02. Plus this makes for better reading!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much out of your total horsepower are we talking about pushing around two pound tips?? No offense...but just a simple observation.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b911s
No offence, but are you kidding about the weight difference in the the tips with the Borla fins and standard round tips.Take a dump before you go out on the track and you'll save the wait difference, or cut down on the ice cream, also invest in a lighter helmet, shoes, gloves, dont wear socks, no underware, remove all your carpet, strip out the radio, remove the passanger seat, rear seats, no sun visors, remove all the emblems from the car, turn signal stocks, remove all the bulbs from the headlamps and turn signals, all the plastic trim in the trunk, take out your side windows, remove the arm rests, headliner, interior trim, etc etc, I could go on and on. Look, these are mainly street cars that we occaisonally take to the track, even if you do it 20 times a year for DE events it's still occaisional. You cant bust these guys nuts for a pound or 2. If you were that worried about weight you would step up to the plate and spend the money and have a custom titanium exhaust made. Not preach to a mass manufacture about it. Actually you should really step up to the plate and buy a full blown race car. I dont think there is a professional driver in the world that could make better lap times with tips that weigh 2 pounds more or less. In addition those are Borla's trademark tips and I think thats one of the things that set them apart. Buy the exhaust and have custom tips to your liking made if you what a Borla that bad and dont like em.

Ok, well flame away, I can dish it out as well as take it. Just my .02. Plus this makes for better reading!
Offense taken from the insults and negative attitude and I don't see how tearing into a member makes for better reading. All-in-all, very un-Rennlist...

You obviously don't get the point. David asked for opinions and philosophically his exhausts have been marketed as very light and performance oriented. Why would somebody trying for simple and light rather have a heavier exhaust, even if it's only 2 lbs more? If a Porsche owner doesn't care about 2 lbs, how about 20, or maybe 200? Load on the luxury options, this 997 is a boulevard cruiser, not a performance car. If as you say a professional race car driver won't be impacted by 2 lbs, then that theory projects forward to 20 and 200. Think of all of that wasted R&D trying to lighten Porsches and race cars in general.

David asked how we liked the tips - all you had to say was "I like them". You dishonor David's request with your mean-spirited editorial. Friendly suggestion - Troll elsewhere to save our bandwidth for constructive purposes.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust early development pictures