Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Problem - Key doesn't fit...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
i would try sticking the toyota key back in and turning it off and seeing what happens
Good call!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 AM
R997C
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1995 997 S caused by the same key. I unlocked the ignition immobilizer by inserting a stiff paper clip into the ignition switch, then inserting the 997 key into the ignition as far as it would go until the protruding pins stopped its progress, then pressed the paper clip into the ignition switch to depress the spring loaded interlock at the bottom of the ignition switch, I turned the key, the electronics in the dash beeped twice, the ignition switch immobilizer unlocked, I pulled the paper clip out, pushed the key fully into the ignition switch, sat in the car and started the engine. The paper clip pressing the spring loaded switch at the bottom of the ignition switch fooled the electronics into thinking the key was fully inserted the ignition switch.

This little bit of work saved me a $700 ignition switch replacement and tow that the Stealership in Rocklin California quoted to me(*&*&)*)(*)!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

WOW, you must have gotten a VERY EARLY version of the 997 S!

Maybe you meant 2005 instead of1995?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Are those the pins that suppose to keep ur key from being removed when its in any position but 1?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:03 PM
iandc
2nd Gear

Smile THANK YOU!!!

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Even down to me inserting a Toyota (Rav4) key in the Porsche! The advice about retrying the Toyota key and switching it off worked a treat!! Thank you so much. I was really worried I had broken the lock and, as the car was tucked up in a garage with difficult access, I was wondering how I could get it fixed if it needed a new lock. You are a saviour!!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Moral of the story: The second car should also be a Porsche
Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 PM
iandc
2nd Gear

You are correct. Sadly it would have to be a Cayanne as I need a 4WD as a daily driver, and here in Portugal the tax on cars is huge so unfortunately out of my budget. The Spyder was purchased in UK so affordable. I really panicked when the key wouldn't go in but the superb advice on this forum was invaluable.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:09 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

What I said was with a bit of irony

Glad the problem is solved.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:25 AM
MikeGahrns
1st Gear

Same thing happened to us. My wife inserted and pulled out a Toyota Sequoia key in my 997 Turbo. Afterwards it was impossible to insert the Porsche key.

Initially I suspected that she wrecked the tumblers, but she said she barely inserted the key and didn't put much pressure inserting it. I drove to look at what was going on, and sure enough there appeared to be two pins blocking entry. There didn't appear to be any damage to the ignition switch, but instead some type of anti-theft deterrent blocking key entry.

I tried obvious things that I thought might unlock and reset things to show we had the real key. e.g. locking car door and then opening with real key to no avail.

Also tried the paper clip reset shown here:
to no avail. (The 997 had a similar piece you could pop off, but there didn't seem to be a button. There was a middle hole, and I tried several times with the paper clip inserted in the middle hole but couldn't catch anything to cause a reset.)

I called a Porsche dealer. He was suspect when I said it appeared that some type of locking pin engaged and that there should be a way to disengage/reset it. He said only option was a tow to dealer and about $900 for new ignition switch.

I did some more research and found this thread. Thanks guys! Really glad to have saved at least a thousand bucks for tow and ignition so thought I would also post here to share my experience.

When I did go back and insert the Toyota key, the first time it didn't go in. But it felt like it had some play, so I tried a second time a little more forcefully, and jiggled it and got it past the locking pins. I was then able to turn the key hard left to off and the pins disengaged and I removed Toyota key. Porsche key went in fine after that.

P.S. Not sure if there is something unique about Toyota key shapes that help trigger the lockout or allow them to reset the locking pins, but it seems like a really weird coincidence that the other two people having problems here that fixed it with this method also had Toyota keys.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

As a fairly new forum member I am constantly amazed with the breath of knowledge being shared by fellow members. This member's predicament and the seemingly quick solution is a case in point. That and the fact the OP did not have to part with maybe $1,000+ to solve the problem.

Since I joined I've found tidbits such as this and have created my own "DIY" via a simple MS Word document that has a concise description of a problem and the link to the post in this forum.

I realize that it's not the most elegant way to do this and I would suggest that the moderators expand the "DIY" section of this forum to include a section of problems/solutions of tihs sort.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saved by Rennlisters yet again!! I just got a call from the paint shop that the key won't go into my 997 C2S ignition so I did a quick google and ended up here. I was on the way to the paint shop wile reading through this thread and luckily I was in in my "Toyota" Tacoma. So I got there popped in the Toyota key, turned left and right and heard the pins disengage, my Carrera key went straight in!

Thanks guys! I think I'll keep a Toyota Key permanently in the car
Old 11-23-2018, 03:12 PM
caymanislands
2nd Gear

Updating the solution:

What's happening is that the lock out pins (which keeps the key in place while driving) is being activated (usually by a Toyota key being inserted and turned to the right). The solution is to deactivate the lockout pins (reinsert Toyota key and turn to the left). You can also fix the problem by using any long and thin object, like a paperclip, pin, or screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver deep enough to activate the ignition. Simultaneously turn the ignition to the left using your original key. You'll hear the lockout pins deactivate.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problem - Key doesn't fit...