Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Germany Vacation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Germany's roads...both in the mountains and the Autobahn...are a car enthusiast's heaven. However, heed TheOldMan's warnings...it could very well be snowing in December, which can be very treacherous on said unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car...especially a 911. I'd plan on taking trains, and go with the car as a back-up if weather permits. Could be a real bummer of a trip otherwise. And as wonderful as the Nurburgring is, they close it if it gets icy.

And regarding currency, before charging up your credit card or withdrawing cash with your ATM card, check their international transaction fees...my Visa is 2%, my credit union ATM is 0%.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Thanks everyone for the great information provided... my first visit to Germany, so we are very excited! I now feel that I now have a general understanding on what I need to do!

I called Germany at # 9-011-49-8997-597600 (Avis), but they patched me to Spain their customer special vehicle request department. Spain will call Germany and ask for a special request on a (997) and call me back for availability and final cost. Also, asked for a navigation system, manual shift, and the P-car in Speed Yellow. I hope they can meet the above minimum request. According to Spain a two day rental will cost approx. $567.00

We plan on staying near the Alps for some skiing and snow boarding but will certainly go on many tours offered by the resort. We plan to drive directly to Stuttgart and looking forward to the (7) hour drive to the southern point of the Autobahn from the Munich Airport our pickup and drop-off points.

Again, thanks for the great information!

S/Carlos
I just returned from 5 days days behind the wheel of a 997 S in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. I was lucky as the weather was very good and the roads clear.

I rented from Avis at the Frankfurt airport. All the cars were available were silver or black and came equiped with Porsche's navigation (essential).

Just a word of warning about Avis: I booked my reservation through the Avis U.S. customer service line and I was promised unlimited kilometers for my rental. However when I arrived at the counter they said they never rent Porsches on an unlimited kilometer basis. Instead, you get 200 kilometers per day free and each additional kilometer is 1 Euro. With my laptop, I called U.S. customer service via Skype in an attempt to reconcile the conflicting information but to no avail. In any case, this is not a great way to start a vacation especially if you've just stepped off a long flight tired and jetlagged.

Also, I wanted a 997S coupe with a manual. However when I arrived, they had a cabrio lined up. I had to insist they make an effort to locate a coupe (which they did) although it took an extra 45 minutes.

Lastly, the Avis staff was very casual at check out. The car I rented had 13K kilometers on it and not surprisingly had some minor flaws. I asked them to note the flaws and in the process further discovered the CD for the navigation system was missing. They were able to locate another one however it was another 30 minutes before we left the garage. It was a good thing I took such care before I took the car as Avis very carefully scrutinized the car upon return (there were no problems as I took great care with it). Just be cautious here.

While all this might sound like it was an ordeal, the trip was wonderful and I would actually consider doing it again.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I drove from Vienna to Munich and back in a day. I had a Porsche schedule but I got a
big Mercedes instead. I would look at Switzeland for driving. Lots of windie roads
and the people are great. I was in Italy in September and the Euro is in. There
are ATM machines around the big hotels and they spit out lots of Euros.

Have fun and drive safe.

Paul
Old 11-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you need to arrange a English Tour at the factory in advance thru PCNA in Atlanta. Call Owner Relations there. Definitely do the Mercedes Museum. Park your car in Stuttgart and use the U-Bahn to get around. You can get a Tourist Transit Pass at your hotel.

Try to carry an ATM card with the Cirrus logo, as it was more common the last time I was there a few years ago. You can get Euros 24-7 from ATMs at the airport. ATM rates there are far better than getting the currency here, at the local hotel or at Change Bureaus. Make larger and fewer ATM withdrawals, as you pay a flat fee per transaction (check with your bank).

Be aware that your Amex, VISA or Mastercard will add 3-4% service charge (except for Capital One cards). For no good reason except that they can.

Carry more than one credit card in case one gets lost and has to be cancelled. Call your credit card company and tell them where you are going, to prevent them from blocking the card due to suspicious or excessive activity - Citibank is really bad at this.

If you don't require a Porsche, Sixt Rent a Car is a German company that may offer better rates.

Small Stuttgart hotel with an excellent restaurant : Hotel Wörtz-Zur Weinsteige www.hotel-woertz.de
Check out the Wine cave in the basement.

Relax and have fun, don't try to do too much. You will go back.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM
kmg
2nd Gear

Carlos-

I've been to just those parts... stayed in Munich, visited GarmischPartenKirschen -- don't remember the correct spelling, got as much autobahn time as I could. I picked up my E36 M3 in Munich in 99. I've also been to Spain several times... some of the comments are generally applicable - as far as I can extrapolate - to Western European countries.

Here are some comments you might find somewhat useful...

Money should be very, very easy there. Just take your ATM / Credit - grab a hundred marks or so (I'm sorry - euros now right?) in the airport - depending on what you have to do prior to reaching your accomodations, probably just taxi though. After that, use your plastic around town - generally, modern european countries have compatible ATMs.

In town, Munich that is, your English will be understood in probably 60 - 70% of establishments, maybe more. They speak great English there and sometimes I had to strain to detect a German accent.

Skip castle visits - well if you must go, then... - but I couldve done without my visit to Neuschwanstein. Bleck! Boring. Corny. Tourist.

I found hotel hosts to be very friendly and accomodating... but I am remiss if I don't mention that we
found a very akward reception outside of town - in GarmPartKirch. I am black. As are my parents, of course... chuckle. (I took my parents - corny? Maybe. But we had fun -- picking up my car on my 25th bday.) We thought we'd get down there and have a beer in a pub or something... any reason to jump in the car and hop on the autobahn. Dropped into a pub; all eyes on us. And I'm not sensitive - period. Needless to say - well - we didn't stay long. Just didn't feel right... and sometimes, well, that's all the indication one needs.

Beyond that - Munich is an evil town to navigate... you'll be hardpressed to find "right angles" in the layout of the city streets. Lot's of rings and round-abouts. So get a good map and study it well before leaving the hotel in the morning - or you will spend hours lost and confused. For me, that's part of the fun, though.

Finally, I absolutely loved the art district - if memory serves - it is called the Lehel. It's beautiful, clean, well manicured, sculpted. Attractive little shops, kunsthalles - art galleries.

I could tell you more -- including getting absolutely smoked by a 911 on the autobahn - and how people in junkers seemed to completely overdrive their cars to the point of nearly losing it... Happy to share more if you're interested.

keithan
Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Thanks everyone for the great information provided... my first visit to Germany, so we are very excited! I now feel that I now have a general understanding on what I need to do!

I called Germany at # 9-011-49-8997-597600 (Avis), but they patched me to Spain their customer special vehicle request department. Spain will call Germany and ask for a special request on a (997) and call me back for availability and final cost. Also, asked for a navigation system, manual shift, and the P-car in Speed Yellow. I hope they can meet the above minimum request. According to Spain a two day rental will cost approx. $567.00

We plan on staying near the Alps for some skiing and snow boarding but will certainly go on many tours offered by the resort. We plan to drive directly to Stuttgart and looking forward to the (7) hour drive to the southern point of the Autobahn from the Munich Airport our pickup and drop-off points.

Again, thanks for the great information!

S/Carlos
I forgot to mention that Avis will only allow you to take Porsches into Switzerland and Austria from Germany. There is no extra insurance you can buy and no exceptions to this rule.

This was a bummer for me since I wanted to see the Dolomites in northern Italy.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

If you BUY your Porsche over there YOU call the shots in where it goes. I thoroughly enjoyed southern Italy in mine this summer.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

renting a C2S with summer tires in december in germany might not be the best idea. on top of that if you go through avis, you are limited to 200km a day and then it gets pretty expensive at 1 euro per km. if you do go through with it, pick it up at a city rental facility rather than the airport. you'll save on additional fees you have to pay. the porsche fleet is not kept at the airport locations. they have to be driven out for your pickup.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
renting a C2S with summer tires in december in germany might not be the best idea. on top of that if you go through avis, you are limited to 200km a day and then it gets pretty expensive at 1 euro per km. if you do go through with it, pick it up at a city rental facility rather than the airport. you'll save on additional fees you have to pay. the porsche fleet is not kept at the airport locations. they have to be driven out for your pickup.
Great advice... thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
fayence
Instructor

Audi and Mercedes factory tours are great.

Either early morning or later in the evening is fun for high-speed autobahn, daytime can get congested.

See if Porsche will let you drive their track in Leipzig.

Quick Reply: Germany Vacation Advice