Sponsored by:

DIY exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 AM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY exhaust install

Can anybody who has installed an aftermarket exhaust or pse give me some hints on this diy.
I searched here and 6speed and was able to find some basic guidelines but am still having trouble.
i removed the bar which is attached to the bumper and right in front of muffler, disconnected the muffler from the cats, and removed the 3 nuts that hold the bolt into place on mounting the muffler.
Now, what is the next step to get the muffler loose, i cant seem to remove the bolts since there is very little play and even less room. did I miss a step?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Raffi - I know that the 997 mufflers are slightly different than the 996 mufflers, but here is what I did to remove my mufflers on my 996. I don't have a copy of the 997 version of the PET exhaust assembly, but I have included the 996 exhaust assembly from the PET. Hopefully this will help you get over the hump.

Jack up the rear of the car and slide jack stands under the jacking points.
Remove the rear wheels.

There are only 5 bolts/nuts per muffler you have to remove to get them off of the car. I have attached the PET exhaust diagram and have highlighted the connections you will have to loosen or remove.

Removing the old mufflers
1. Loosen the two nuts on the clamp (#29) that connects the muffler to the cat and slide the clamp onto the cat.

2. Then remove the three nuts (red arrow) from the bolts on the muffler bracket (#28).

3. Once those are loose, you can push the muffler toward the fender and rotate it toward the rear wheel to get it out of the cavity.

4. Remove bolts (#24 & #25) to get the bracket off of the muffler. You will need to transfer the bracket to the new mufflers.

5. Remove the exhaust tip clamp (#22).

Repeat the process for the other side.

Installing the new mufflers
1. Pre install the muffler tips on the new mufflers, but DO NOT tighten the clamps completely, because you will have to adjust the alignment of the tips once the new mufflers are installed.

2. Install the bracket (#28) on the new mufflers, but reverse the direction of the bracket bolts. Instead of inserting them from the top (like in the diagram) insert them from the bottom. This way if you ever need to remove the mufflers again, you can remove these two bolts (#24 & #25) to get the muffler off.

3. Position the new muffler in the cavity and slide the 3 bracket bolts back into the holes.

4. Place one nut on one of the bolts. Keep this loose so you can complete the next step.

5. Align the muffler pipe and the cat pipe and slide the clamp on the muffler pipe and snug up the nuts slightly (do not tighten completely at this time).

6. Tighten all 3 nuts on the bracket.

7. Tighten the muffler/cat clamp.

8. Adjust the muffler tips to the correct alignment and tighten the clamp.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2006, 09:47 PM
raffi
Pro

Thanks Tim, much easier with the picture.
popped right out.
i just put in the awe mufflers, they sound pretty good.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Chris986S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The awe mufflers sound pretty good.... or are they really a big improvement over stock?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 AM
raffi
Pro

just pretty good, the pse is much louder and rumbly in my opinion.
so it depends on what you are looking for.
i think i had already achieved a better sound than stock with my K&N cold air intake. the awe mufflers now give the exhaust a better note, sounds better but not louder by any means.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

From what I've heard...the AWE mufflers are the most quiet aftermarket mufflers from the Tubi, PSE and Fabspeed.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:26 PM
raffi
Pro

yeah they are pretty quiet but still an improvement.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:42 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question

Are they still quiet with Headers and the bigger Cats?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM
raffi
Pro

i have heard that the cats and headers do make a difference in sound although that is not what they are meant for so dont think that if you get the whole system you will be much louder.
you can tell in the awe video on there site that the whole system is not much louder than stock.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 PM
C43
Intermediate

Do you really have to remove the rear tires? Also where did you place the jack to lift the rear evenly?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 PM
C43
Intermediate

I have worked on many cars but the 997 is scaring me. I should have a porsche mechanic do it.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

IF you want a super cup car type of spund the Fabspeed will give you that. My wife nor I feel it's too loud though. Also the Tubi muffler (more expensive) sound really nice too.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
dndodd
Racer

Default Scared to work on a 997

"I have worked on many cars but the 997 is scaring me. I should have a porsche mechanic do it."

I was a little uncomfortable jacking the 997 up with a floor Jack. So I bought a small somewhat portable Hydraulic Scissor Lift for the whole car. It will take the car up as high as 48". For $1500 I think its a good investment.

Makes detailing easier too.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
C43
Intermediate

You wouldn't happen to have a link for the scissor lift? I am having the same problem with the floor jack. Where do you place it? On a rear wheel car I also put it under the pumpkin. I hate to shove my engine through the cabin. lol
Old 11-05-2006, 02:31 PM
dndodd
Racer

It is a Bend-Pak Model MD-6XP. I don't remember where I bought from if you need it I can figure it out. I did several searches and found a company out of the North East witht the best price, under $1500.
Had it delivered to my workplace, then put it on a trailer and brought it home. It is heavy. Had to use a come along to get it off the trailer. Assembly is basically hooking up one hydraulic line and adding fluid. I found it was easier to move with it raised about 4". It also sucks amps so don't have anything else on the circuit when you use it.

I also had to add 2" x 12" to drive the Porsche on for clearance. Other than that it works great. If you want pictures send me an e-mail at ddodd100@charter.net and I will send you several with the Porsche on it.

Quick Reply: DIY exhaust install