997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-depth article on 997 and 997S

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006 | 08:38 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

I didn't know the joke but I think I worked out the punchline from these responses.
Old 10-26-2006 | 10:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by billco
This guy goes to the trouble of posting something he thinks would be interesting to the rest of the group and you take a shot at him. Now I know where the joke "What's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine" came from.
You are terribly mistaken.

I did NOT take a shot at him, like you just did me. Now I know where the term hypocrite came from.

Reread the post to refresh your failing memory or poor comprehension. I was merely pointing out that the article was old and that some of the info there may be obsolete, in case anyone was looking to rely on info based on a pre-production 997. The poster may not have known the article was old, and so I was doing him a favor by pointing that out to him so he wouldn't be potentially misled by outdated data. And if he did know it was old, he should have tipped us off by saying something along the lines that he found some good info in an article that was old and probably outdated, but that maybe the rest of us might find it useful as well.

The tenor of my post was consistent with playful ribbing. Nowhere were there derogatory terms of any kind, were there? And to make it obvious that it was meant in a friendly manner, I closed the post with the friendly smiley face.

Now as for you, you owe me an apology. ... And learn some manners too, while you're at it.
Old 10-26-2006 | 10:27 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Oh, no need to worry, Romey.

I classified you a long time ago. And you haven't disappointed me since.
Oh my god I am going to lose sleep over this...My intelligence has been judged by OC Ben....

Dude...read the posts...people think you act like a condescending ***** when you make posts like #2 in this thread....Why give the guy a hard time? Isn't it obvious there may be people who missed that article, especially if they are new buyers of a pre-owned car. Duh!
Old 10-26-2006 | 11:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Good post Mcoupe. I'd never seen that article before, and it had some info that I was not aware of in spite of being on my second 997
Old 10-26-2006 | 11:15 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Mcoupe, thanks for the post. Who the F(%#$@! is OCBen??? Think he needs to take a vacation to chill out... Sometimes common sense isn't so common.
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:12 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Enjoyed....thanks for posting.
Old 10-27-2006 | 08:39 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

As a first time 911 owner I enjoyed the article regardless of how old it is. I'm still in the absorbing mode when it comes to information about my new car.
Old 10-27-2006 | 10:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Don't take it personally, MCoupe, and thanks for sharing.

Certain self-appointed moderators of intelligence are due for another vacation anyway for not realizing (despite their towering intellect) the importance of playing nicely with others ...
Old 10-27-2006 | 11:19 AM
JHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MCoupe
Good read...learned a few things I did not know.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...y/gcf/porsche/
Thanks for posting
Old 10-27-2006 | 12:08 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

is this true? that's what the article said.

"a routined driver at the wheel of the new 911 Carrera S is now able to lap the Northern Circuit of Nürburgring some 20 seconds faster than in the former 911 ! "
Old 10-27-2006 | 12:13 PM
billco
Instructor

You just can't make derogatory comments and think it's ok because you end with a simley face. I think it will make people reluctant to participate. I don't think one in a hundred people reading your post would think you were really trying to help anybody.
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by billco
You just can't make derogatory comments and think it's ok because you end with a simley face.
Bill, I couldn't agree with you more.
Just show me the alleged derogatory comment, and I'll gladly apologize. Really.

For some reason you thought I had made one (and apparently still think that way) and so you felt justified in taking a shot at me and effectively called me a *****! ... My response to you was to set the matter straight.

Wow, it baffles me how people read into things what they want to. I've read and reread my original post and can't see where I was being mean or hurtful or not being nice, as Little Chris alleges.

And I was not the only one criticizing the article either. Have we become so thin-skinned that nothing negative about a post is to be tolerated?
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:32 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Well, apparently we are turning into little girls here. I don't miss the personal attacks in the style of MMD or Ojpimpson, but responding this way to an OCBen post that was factually correct (after all, it IS an old article) is a complete overreaction in my eyes.

Maybe Ben did not use his Sunday morning church etiquette, but what is really screwing up this forum, is that every little critical comment is considered a personal attack.

You gotta be able to point out flaws in posts without being considered rude or deragotory just because you don't use highly affectionate terms all the time. If it is a repost, you gotta be able to say so. If it is old information, you gotta be able to say so.

And if you are the person posting old stuff (without pointing it out!), then you should be man enough to accept that not everybody is gonna love you and marry you. Man, my students get harsher responses from me than what Ben said, and they don't start whining.

Aside from that, I think this forum still rocks. And aside from THAT, I just passed the 10,000 miles mark... still the best car on earth.
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:49 PM
vegascomedy
Instructor

Thanks for posting the link! My first time reading that. Good info.
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:56 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Gee, guys, but after reading all this invective, I shudder to think what you're gonna say when I ask for your opinion on whether I did an OK job welding the towbar on the back of my car to pull my Hobie.

Quick Reply: In-depth article on 997 and 997S