997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s or not s

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 11:51 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Completely agree with above. I was on the track and wished that I had the 18" wheels. The brakes performed AWESOME but may be the standard brakes would have been just fine.

Bottom line is, I paid so much for the 997, so mind as well throw in the extra 10k for the "look". Hey, if I pay 80k to join a country club, mind as well pay another 10k for the Rolex, designer clothes, and a nice set of golf. Face it, all of us, maybe 99%, who buy 997 are not only into it for performance. We are a bit vain and we want to make a statement, perhaps not as loud as we would like other to think. So I say, pimp it out as much as you can afford.

If you want performance, get a 914 or 993 and mod it.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:33 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdonline
Now you are talking...but no thanks. I would love the X51 but I'd be pyschologically damaged for life when the 914 passes me on the track.
i can see you were much smarter and bought a 997s
i've had a 914 2.0 but not a six of anything tuned.
please elaborate on your thoughts.
are you that bad of a driver or do you really think a production 914 is that good of a car?
i'm a mid-engine fan myself, but it takes a lot more than just mid-engine
design to make a car that's performance would equal or surpass the 997.
of course if you notice the gt3rs vs. tuned cayman thread this is already
being discussed.
btw the '74 914 2.0 i had wouldnt have gotten close and would be the
one being lapped given drivers of equal ability.

Originally Posted by mdonline
Face it, all of us, maybe 99%, who buy 997 are not only into it for performance. We are a bit vain and we want to make a statement, perhaps not as loud as we would like other to think. So I say, pimp it out as much as you can afford.
If you want performance, get a 914 or 993 and mod it.
please speak for yourself.
i think 99% is a little high!
it's nice to hear how much you paid for your country club membership and rolex tthough.
why not a cayman for performance modding?
i don't pimp my cars but try and figure out ways to reduce weight.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:42 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Icon,

Ok your point is well taken. I am just being extreme. I love my car. And yes, the first time on the track, the 914 did pass me. But by the second run, I beat the crap out of it. The 914 was in my rear mirror for the remainder of the two day track.

Yes 99% is high. And no I don't have a country club membership. Yes I got money to buy the 997S as a second car to drive on the weekend for fun. No I don't flaunt my car around. Most of my co workers don't know I have the car. I bought it cause I think I deserve something good in life. And man, I love every minute I am in that car. And yes, I love the S. And YES, if I have the money, I would definitely get the X51.

Icon, please don't take my comments the wrong way. Your car is beautiful and I would love to have it.
Old 10-27-2006 | 06:51 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

I would consider a used 997 and chip it; add aftermarket suspension and wheels. I've driven one set up correctly and it's a blast for less than a new S.

Quick Reply: s or not s