Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new invention for drivers like Boo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default A new invention for drivers like Boo.

So did you hear Boolala? Lexus has this new feature on their sedans, the car will parallel park itself. You can just press a button and go back to drinking a latte.
I guess we are going to see a defection of Porsche drivers to Lexus now. After all, why would anyone be so stupid to actually own a car that they have to park themselves when you can buy a car that parks for you?

I bet you the self parking car is faster on the track too.

B
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, no need to rag on Boolala just because he might prefer a tip over a 6-speed.

I too on occasion hate shifting gears and being concerned with clutch action. There's nothing glamorous about having to do things manually if there is a more efficient automatic means of accomplishing the same objective.

With your logic you would prefer to use a manual crank to start your car instead of an electric starter.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 PM
B-Line
Drifting

I don't rag on Boo because he prefers a tip. My daily driver is a Steptronic transmission.

I rag on Boo because he insists that those of us who enjoy driving stick are "wrong" about what type of cars we buy and why. And that manual transmissions are being phased out. And that "tips are better".. And he keeps bringing it up over and over, like using quotes from HH is going to convince us that Boo is right and we should all trade in our H box for a slush box to satisfy his ridiculous arguement.

- I understand why people buy tips. I just don't start a thread about it monthly saying that they have made a bad purchase. Some people don't like H box, some drive in traffic, some have bad legs, some have wifes that don't drive stick. Some are just "girly men" who have no real idea what it means to "drive" a car.

I am sure in the very near future there will be a car manufacturer that invents something for people who are afraid to turn left. Yes, there are people out there who are literally afraid to make left turns. This invention along with laser guided cruise control, and self parallel parking, and all the other new inventions we will soon see might be good for people who want transportation. But me, I want to drive - Parking, shifting, making left turns, included...

B
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I too on occasion hate shifting gears and being concerned with clutch action.
you pantywaist! just joshin benny!

boo is a little obsessed w/ tip vs. manual.
when the sequential shifters come out it won't be as big a cause for debate.
then maybe boo will find peace of mind!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by B-Line
I don't rag on Boo because he prefers a tip. My daily driver is a Steptronic transmission.

I rag on Boo because he insists that those of us who enjoy driving stick are "wrong" about what type of cars we buy and why. And that manual transmissions are being phased out. And that "tips are better".. And he keeps bringing it up over and over, like using quotes from HH is going to convince us that Boo is right and we should all trade in our H box for a slush box to satisfy his ridiculous arguement.

- I understand why people buy tips. I just don't start a thread about it monthly saying that they have made a bad purchase. Some people don't like H box, some drive in traffic, some have bad legs, some have wifes that don't drive stick. Some are just "girly men" who have no real idea what it means to "drive" a car.

I am sure in the very near future there will be a car manufacturer that invents something for people who are afraid to turn left. Yes, there are people out there who are literally afraid to make left turns. This invention along with laser guided cruise control, and self parallel parking, and all the other new inventions we will soon see might be good for people who want transportation. But me, I want to drive - Parking, shifting, making left turns, included...

B
I see your point, but not your need to deride him by singling him out and making him the object of scorn in your ill-advised thread title.

You could have accomplished the same thing (pointing out this new invention) in a more friendly setting that would be better suited for lively discussion.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
you pantywaist! just joshin benny!

boo is a little obsessed w/ tip vs. manual.
when the sequential shifters come out it won't be as big a cause for debate.
then maybe boo will find peace of mind!
Personally I would prefer a superbly engineered automatic over a manual any day of the week. Porsche just hasn't designed one yet.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

I see your point, but not your need to deride him by singling him out and making him the object of scorn in your ill-advised thread title.

You could have accomplished the same thing (pointing out this new invention) in a more friendly setting that would be better suited for lively discussion.
Yes, your right.. But what fun would that be?

LOL !!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by B-Line
Yes, your right.. But what fun would that be?

LOL !!
Well, so long as he's okay with it, and realizes it's just a little ribbing for his pro-tip stance, and doesn't take it personally. For all I know you two could be best of buds and enjoy teasing each other (like me and Jeff above ), and he'll get a good laugh after seeing the thread title. It's just that it comes across otherwise to those of us not in the know, that's all.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the new GT3 come with tip?
I must say that when Porsche has a true electronic "Clutch" system like the F-cars I would be interested. Do not know the cost but I would look.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But would one go for a new double clutch "F-One" type system from Porsche on the first revision?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first....no. not unless they use it in the motorsport arena for a couple of seasons.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Well, so long as he's okay with it, and realizes it's just a little ribbing for his pro-tip stance, and doesn't take it personally. For all I know you two could be best of buds and enjoy teasing each other (like me and Jeff above ), and he'll get a good laugh after seeing the thread title. It's just that it comes across otherwise to those of us not in the know, that's all.
Good points Ben..
Boo and I do not know each other. And I would assume if we ever met face to face, we would get along just fine. I do like his taste in Avatar's !!
However, any ribbing that I shell out to him is a direct result of my annoyance of this continued tip vs. h box thread.

B
Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
But would one go for a new double clutch "F-One" type system from Porsche on the first revision?
as long as they are taking to come out w/ it i would.
they must be trying not to have a repeat of customer complaints like
bmw has had w/ smg by perfecting the system b/f introduction.
plus they do have audi's dsg to look at as a good working example.
but i think i would still have to have a manual shift as well.
just need a little more garage space
Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmoney
this is such an old topic,
actually dmoney, this is a new topic.. I have yet to see anyone post a thread about cars that "self park"..

Old 10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the Lexus system is truly self-park as it still requires you to modulate the brakes. Now if the can perfect that together with GPS parking space location..

Quick Reply: A new invention for drivers like Boo.