Newby With Dealer Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Weebs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby With Dealer Question

Good Evening, Everyone -

I'm new to the forum and have tried using the search feature without much luck, so thought I'd post a question about it.

I've been lusting after these cars since long before puberty, and stopped by a local dealer last Friday. Long story short, I can't stop thinking about that '06 997S that I drove!

I have only been to one dealer here in Northern Virginia and wanted to know from those of you that are in this area which dealers you recommend. Most seem to have decent selections of '06 cars, and some with exactly the options I'd want.

Who have YOU had luck with as far as deals are concerned? And service?

(note: on some forums, discussing dealers is a no-no. Don't hesitate to let me know if I have proposed a no-no question!)

Thanks in advance! I hope to add a pic of my first P car soon!

Mike
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"Since long before puberty" ???? Wow, you really are smitten.

Originally Posted by Weebs
Thanks in advance! I hope to add a pic of my first P car soon!

Mike
Well Mike, I like your optimistic, positive attitude! Welcome aboard!
I'm sure there are many here who can steer you in the right direction regarding dealerships.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
esef
Instructor

I live in the DC area and just bought a Porsche from a local dealer. Since I'm not sure about the forum's dealer policy, PM me.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Weebs
Track Day

Ben -

Yes, LONG before puberty. I'd say the obsession started when I was nine or ten. With two kids born while I was in college, I have waited (not always patiently) until recently to allow myself to go to a dealership because I KNEW when I did it was all over.

I went last Friday... yes, it is all over.

Thanks for the reply, Ben. Talk with you soon.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Weebs
Yes, LONG before puberty. I'd say the obsession started when I was nine or ten.
Wow, sounds like that one commercial was made with you in mind. If you haven't seen it, you can check out here in our good friend's (Coochas) website:

http://coochas.com/porsche/coochas-911videos.html

It's number 9 in the list there. Select Hi-Res.

If you haven't seen it, it's guaranteed to send chills down your back! ... It did for me!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Bum
Advanced

I'm STILL afraid to test drive any P-car yet because I know I will loose all objectivity. I'm still in research mode on what needs to be done before I'm ready to committ to the beast and I can still haggle in a calm demeanor.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Weebs
Track Day

Yep. That's me in the video. Thanks for the link... there is a lot more out there to enjoy also.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

I too live in the Baltimore-DC area and recently bought my 07 C2S, but not from a dealer in the immediate area. I am very, very happy with the deal I negotiated but had to drive a short disctance to make it happen. PM if you need more information.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Weebs - Welcome to the best Porsche Forum on the 'Net! I can't help you with a dealer recommendation in No. VA. but if you are looking at getting a new '06 model, you should be able to get 10% + off MSRP. While the car itself may be new, it is, in reality, one year old so the appropriate discount should be expected.

You could go the Porsche web site and do a search on dealers within xxx miles of your zip code. You can then look at their "new" inventory for a car you would be interested in purchasing. It is not uncommon for guys (and gals) to travel 500 + miles to pick up their new car and drive it back home. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 AM
wetstuff
Pro

I'm down on the Eastern Shore and all dealers for us are about two hours on three points of the compass. We bought our BoxsterS in CT and it looks like Friday I'll pick up our 997S in Miami. Probably the best source for DC/VA dealer info is the local Region of the PCA. There's lots of comments on both P-dealers and indy resources. www.pcapotomac.org/pca/sitemap.shtml

Good hunting.

Jim
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

I bought mine from Jay at Tischer...
Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Weebs
Track Day

Default Much Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I did take the suggestion above to look at Porsche's website, find local dealers and look at their inventory. Turns out the only dealer locally that has my desired vehicle/options is the one I visited last Friday.

I'll look again tonight and see what dealers that are further away have in their inventory. In the meantime, I've gotten the payoff on my existing car, gotten approval for a short-term loan, and am warming up the checkbook for the downpayment.

Scary. Very scary indeed.

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

If you need someone local, I can't help you. If you are willing to go north (Chris Sanner @ Porsche of N. Olmstead) or south (Jeff Rapoport @ Hennessy Porsche), I know of two folks who will give you a great deal and treat you very well. Chris mentioned they could get rates below 5.74% last week if you want to finance.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to pop in- I'm pretty much in the same category as Weebs and Bum, but I know I'm set on a Targa. Targa or bust. Don't know why. There is no rational reason behind it. But if there is any inside info on who to go to or who to avoid in the DC area (I live in Kalorama in the District) then by all means please PM me as well! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Weebs
Track Day

Geof et al -

Great info! I don't have any issues with traveling a bit to find something that I want, so I may take a couple of you up on dealers that are further away.

Geof, I don't think my decision is rational at all, so I support your Targa focus entirely. I hope your pursuit of your Targa is successful!

Mike

Quick Reply: Newby With Dealer Question