Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am now hesitant to install this product......Been reading all the difficulties, and am considering returning this product. I decided to wait till others have done the install BEFORE I do mine for the above reasons..Any other feel this way?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Install is not that difficult if you are careful and follow directions, make sure all connections in plugs are solid, and treat the yellow & black wires with care!!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:32 PM
CJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing my install in the AM. I'll post the difficulty level tomorrow.I agree for the momet
with larrytrk. How difficult can the install possibly be ?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

make sure you dissect the yellow & black wires at the bottom far enough down so they are free and can be moved up on the left so you can mount the module above as is shown. I covered the tips of 1,2,3,4 with shrink wrap so there is no shorting if they bend. Be careful of the thin yellow/black tips.
Remember how the cap goes back on the plugs after you take them apart, I had to fiddle because I forgot how they go back on.
Otherwise it's a piece of cake..
It's a great module.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 AM
billco
Instructor

I think it is worth the effort to go ahead and install the product. You just have to be careful to make sure the connections are solid.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 AM
billco
Instructor

Not difficult at all... Just make sure all the connections are solid. (don't mean to beat a dead horse) The little silver colored "keeper" that holds the small plug in place is pretty flemsy. When you depress it to remove the small plug from the larger one, it may not retain enough spring to lock back in place when you reinstall it. Just make sure it sticks out far enough to re-catch in the mechanism when you reinstall. I had to bend mine out a little because it was not catching properly. Unfortunately for me, I didn't notice it was loose until I got the "air bag" message (in the screen at the bottom of the tach) and had to go back and redo it. After redoing it, the message did not return, but the idiot light stays on and apparently can not be turned off without a PIWIS machine.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Can air bag idiot light be turned off with Durametric software?
Maybe someone can answer or offer to try for you.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

I finally installed my RemoteKey yesterday without any problems following the directions completely. Tested the installation by closing the driver's door and locking/unlocking the car with the remote and hearing the beeps per instrucitons. Did not drive the car until this evening. After getting in the car, I noticed the indicator and warning lights on the instrument panel and the air condition screen panel briefly blinked after (windows completetly closed) I shut the driver's door. Drove the car, parked and noticed this thing happening again after sutting the driver's door. So to experiment, I opened and closed the driver's door a few times and each time the lights/AC screen blinked.

Is this normal? Has anybody experiend this?

I hope I didn't messed up my car.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 AM
billco
Instructor

Your issue sounds somewhat different than the one I experienced, but I doubt that you did any real damage. I worked through my problem with Stefan at IT. He is great to work with and appears to be very conciencious about making sure all of his customers are happy. Try giving him a call at 913-660-9064. I know you will be impressed with his desire to help.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Yep, all the indicator icons blink!!when you close the door!!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Beamer
Intermediate

Thanks all. It sounds like the blinking icons will stay plus the AC screen. I will still Stefan just to be sure...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

I did not talk to Stefan but with Sven. He said what I experienced was normal. His explanation was the blinking/cycle activates the remotekey to do its functions. I think they should say that in the instructions. Anyway, I am now releived
Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
CJC
Instructor

It's got to be something to do with saftey ie. kids hanging out a window?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 AM
ER911S
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

Installed mine yesterday and freaked out when I tested it as I got a "system fault" and the buttons on my driver's door became inoperable and my car would not lock any more.
I was dreading the idea of going to the dealer...
However I checked my install and had swithced the yellow and black wires that went into the module in spot 1 and 3. Now it works like a charm.
Reason why I posted this is for people to know just in case they do the same mistake.
Also, download the instructions online as the paper you receive has small pics for install and does not have instructions on how to change the settings.
Overall, if you are very careful, follow step by step the instructions, you will be fine. This was my first electronic custom change on a car and I was fearful.
Features are well worth the $$.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I also installed mine yesterday (nice way to while away the time waiting for turkey)! No problems, no lights, no worries.

The stalk push-pull interface is really, really silly though. I would've like (and paid more for) a better interface to change the features. I now have default all-on, and I guess it's okay, but a chirp as opposed to a horn honk would be nice.

Quick Reply: 997 Smart Key ADVICE!!!