Sponsored by:

Option 666 phone reception

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by wbibbins
I'm in Atlanta. 666 option with Cingular works as well as, if not better than, my handheld. Hope you guys in Texas are able to sort out the probs you're having.
What part of Atlanta? I get horrible connection on 400.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 AM
tlsmithx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As posted I have been having horrible issues with dropped calls using the Cingular service in my 997.

I live in Dallas and I decided to try another carrier to see if it is the service or the car (Cingular works great for me on my Blackberry 8700c).

Well, I put in a T-Mobile SIM in the car and the reception is amazing and I haven't had a single call drop since I installed it a week ago.

I highly recommend switching to T-Mobile if you have option 666 and live in Dallas (and maybe other parts of Texas) and have been having issues.

I hope this helps.

(this is consistent with the theory that significant portions of the Cingular service in Dallas are on freq 850 (quad band only accessible) and option 666 is a tri-band system). Luckily it seems that T-Mobile's infrastructure is all tri-band in Dallas.

- Tom
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Tom,

I just moved to Dallas (Park Cities) and need to make some Pcar buddies. Let's do something soon... my car needs to get out of the city (and go faster than 30 mph.)

I was the leader of a pcar group in Scottsdale and we had a blast.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

don't want to hijack the thread but if you dfw guys get together, let me know
ps.. maybe i'll start a new thread asking for interest.
bob
Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

There's a reason it's option code "666". lmao
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
tlsmithx
Intermediate

Patrick,

Welcome to Dallas. I'm also a transplant - moved here from Chicago about 5 years ago. We should definitely get together. Also, there are a lot of DE's offered in the area and new tracks are being built closer to Dallas. Send me a PM. Bob also!

- Tom
Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works fine in Tucson, although you got it a lot cheaper. And just in time for the Porcshe dealer survey.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread, because I finally got fed up with the uselessness of my Porsche cell phone, and as a last gasp effort, I bought a T-Mobile pay as you go phone, and put the sim in my car. And... reception is MUCH better. I experimented with both the Cingular and the T-Mobile, sim driving the same stretch of road, first with one, and then the other. There was a significant difference, with T-Mobile giving much better reception. This is in an area where my cingular handset works just fine, but the Porsche phone doesn't work worth a crap when I have the Cingular sim in it. (hw 290 from the loop out to Barker-Cypress).

For all you Texans who are fed up with the reception you get with your P-phone using Cingular, you might try what I've done & see how it works. You can get a T-mobile pay as you go for $30. Your minutes are good for 90 days, so it works out to $10/month provided you don't talk a lot on the car phone. I don't, I use it as a convenience thing. Gonna look at moving my family's contract (four phones + the car phone) over to T-Mobile though.

Quick Reply: Option 666 phone reception