Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has the best potential as a track car? The GT3 RS or a Cayman w/45k in tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
well you asked for the better track car, not the better handling car. if you are talkig purely about handling, ignoring oil starvation if i ran slicks on banked ovals, ignoring cayman has no lsd, ignoring cayman does't have a easily regearable box, yes, cayman handles better and more neutral than GT3. but i dont think those things can be igonred, right? if you add these up, it's not so clear which is better.

for one thing, my GT3 never blew puffs of smoke at high g loads while my cayman does. the GT3 doen't spin the inside rear tire while cayman does. i only have 5k track miles or there abouts on the cayman so i dont know if these issues will become a prob in the future. if you also consider these factors, the pix gets even muddier.

simplistically speaking, cayman has a more balanced platform by laws of physic, but weather a better track car or not, remains to be seen. for one thing it's not being supported by the factory like GT3's are. if your GT3 broke, you can easily buy cup car parts to replace. not so with cayman.

now if you are asking which car has the theoretical potential as far as chassis design goes (not the actual execution) then i would say cayman is superior. but then this becomes a CGT (a perfectly excuted cayman would be more or less a CGT, ignoring price) vs GT3 question, no?
You're just trying to confuse us.

Answer this Mr Smartypants;

If Green Lantern and Superman had a fight, and there was a yellow light nearby but facing the other way, but there was also Kryptonite in an alumnum case 1 mile away,

Who would win?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROTFLMAO
Old 10-27-2006, 10:06 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

well you asked for the better track car, not the better handling car. if you are talkig purely about handling, ignoring oil starvation if i ran slicks on banked ovals, ignoring cayman has no lsd, ignoring cayman does't have a easily regearable box, yes, cayman handles better and more neutral than GT3. but i dont think those things can be igonred, right? if you add these up, it's not so clear which is better.

for one thing, my GT3 never blew puffs of smoke at high g loads while my cayman does. the GT3 doen't spin the inside rear tire while cayman does. i only have 5k track miles or there abouts on the cayman so i dont know if these issues will become a prob in the future. if you also consider these factors, the pix gets even muddier.

simplistically speaking, cayman has a more balanced platform by laws of physic, but weather a better track car or not, remains to be seen. for one thing it's not being supported by the factory like GT3's are. if your GT3 broke, you can easily buy cup car parts to replace. not so with cayman.

now if you are asking which car has the theoretical potential as far as chassis design goes (not the actual execution) then i would say cayman is superior. but then this becomes a CGT (a perfectly excuted cayman would be more or less a CGT, ignoring price) vs GT3 question, no?

I see what you're saying, I hadn't thought of it this way. I guess I was confusing greatest potential for best handling + power combination vs. best track car.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
You're just trying to confuse us.

Answer this Mr Smartypants;

If Green Lantern and Superman had a fight, and there was a yellow light nearby but facing the other way, but there was also Kryptonite in an alumnum case 1 mile away,

Who would win?
easy, mr. smartypants wins

yeah i know it is confusing b/c i think about this issue all the time. i have both cars, i like them both but for very different reasons. so why not combine the best of both. sure porsche did it in CGT, but my bk account is not big enough for one

certainly cannot afford to wad one up on track!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quantimouse
I see what you're saying, I hadn't thought of it this way. I guess I was confusing greatest potential for best handling + power combination vs. best track car.
if you don't mind me asking whare are you located quantimouse?

yeah i know it is confusing b/c i think about this issue all the time. i have both cars, i like them both but for very different reasons. so why not combine the best of both. sure porsche did it in CGT, but my bk account is not big enough for one
certainly cannot afford to wad one up on track!
you know eventually you are going to get a engine swap!
dooooo it! doooooooo it!
you ought to at least fly up to conn. and drive the farnbacher-loles and give us all a report on what you think!
i know you are concerned about reliability but only time is going to answer that.
meanwhile life keeps moving on!
dooooooo it! dooooooooooo it!
i'll go for immoral support!
we could maybe even start a rennlist "mooty engine swap" contribution fund.
i'd contribute just to hear how it turns out!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
if you don't mind me asking whare are you located quantimouse?
East coast.. why do you ask?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quantimouse
East coast.. why do you ask?
for some reason i thought you were from the uk !?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
for some reason i thought you were from the uk !?
Hmm, weird.. Dunno what gave you that impression.. UK is cool, but I ain't from there

Quick Reply: What has the best potential as a track car? The GT3 RS or a Cayman w/45k in tuning?