Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:27 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Default Car wash question

I want to strip the wax off my car the next time I wash it. I have read that Dawn dishwashing soap works well. Will other liquid dishwashing soaps work equally well, or is there something special about Dawn? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2006 | 04:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Use a product called Paintwork Cleanser for stripping off old wax, that's what it's made for. Never use Dawn or any dishwashing detergent for that matter.

To learn why, see the first post in the second link in my sig.
Old 10-13-2006 | 08:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I read some time back that they used Dawn on all the critters up in Prince William's Sound after the Exxon Valdez incident. They say it's pretty friendly stuff. If you REALLY want to remove all the wax I'm sure that would work fine.

I try to use as little soap as possible to keep from drying out the paint. Maybe I'm insane.
Old 10-13-2006 | 10:47 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Yes ... Dawn will remove the wax. Zaino recommends washing it TWICE with Dawn then doing all their stuff.

I use a dilute solution of Simple Green ... which will NOT remove wax. Just for comparison purposes. But, then again ... I don't use wax.

BAGGER
Old 10-14-2006 | 01:10 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Dawn is fine for wax removal. Will not harm paint as it's not that alkaline to do damage to the finish nor will it dry out plastic/rubber if used only a few times for wax removal.

After that, wash with a normal car wash soap to remove any leftover Dawn film that you may have missed. Rinse well.

Start your claying of the finish. Wash again one more time with normal car wash soap or whatever brand of wash you may be using in tandem with a polish or wax.

Polish your finish with the least abrasive polish first, like a paintwork cleanser. If this does not remove defects, then move up on the aggressive polishes by one step.

Finish with a good glaze if using a wax. If using a sealant, stay away from glazes as they contain oils and sealants cannot bond if oils are on the finish.

Start your LSP (Last Step Product) wax or sealant or maybe both if that's what you like.

Maintain with washes and QD work. Always use high quality MF towels! Use sheepskin mitts when washing and use a two-bucket method one for soap, on to rinse, both with grit-guards. For rinse, I have a hose ends all cut off, no metal on ends to avoid any possible contact with paint.

For starters, go to Autopia.org or Detailcity.org and review threads, product reviews and pictures of what you're looking for in finishing your paint to look the best. CHeck out local detail shops, ask other Porsche owners where you can see what is on the finish. Then with all that, make your choice on what and how you want to go from there.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-14-2006 | 08:58 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deanski
Dawn is fine for wax removal. Will not harm paint as it's not that alkaline to do damage to the finish nor will it dry out plastic/rubber if used only a few times for wax removal.

After that, wash with a normal car wash soap to remove any leftover Dawn film that you may have missed. Rinse well.

Start your claying of the finish. Wash again one more time with normal car wash soap or whatever brand of wash you may be using in tandem with a polish or wax.

Polish your finish with the least abrasive polish first, like a paintwork cleanser. If this does not remove defects, then move up on the aggressive polishes by one step.

Finish with a good glaze if using a wax. If using a sealant, stay away from glazes as they contain oils and sealants cannot bond if oils are on the finish.

Start your LSP (Last Step Product) wax or sealant or maybe both if that's what you like.

Maintain with washes and QD work. Always use high quality MF towels! Use sheepskin mitts when washing and use a two-bucket method one for soap, on to rinse, both with grit-guards. For rinse, I have a hose ends all cut off, no metal on ends to avoid any possible contact with paint.

For starters, go to Autopia.org or Detailcity.org and review threads, product reviews and pictures of what you're looking for in finishing your paint to look the best. CHeck out local detail shops, ask other Porsche owners where you can see what is on the finish. Then with all that, make your choice on what and how you want to go from there.

Regards,
Deanski
Very good advice, Dean. This will, indeed, yield a very clean and gleaming finish. One question ... when do I get to drive the vehicle?

BAGGER
Old 10-14-2006 | 10:08 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Very good advice, Dean. This will, indeed, yield a very clean and gleaming finish. One question ... when do I get to drive the vehicle?

BAGGER
I know what you mean, it's time consuming to do a full paint detail. Hell, I didn't even touch the interior yet..

Bottom line, For just stripping wax: Dawn, Meguiars APC, and other "degreaser" type solvents as long as it's diluted correctly. This would remove wax in those tight areas. Any paint cleanser will work also, but tuff in hard to reach areas.

Now, after all that hard work, go drive and get it dirty!

Deanski
Old 10-14-2006 | 06:35 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

What do you guys use to clean off really stubborn bug guts or tree sap? There are a couple spots on my wife's SLK32 with black paint I need to deal with. I'd like to avoid anything harsh since black likes to show off all the problems.

Thanks,

Allan
2004 GT3
1975 914-6 3.0 conversion
Old 10-14-2006 | 07:19 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Allan ...

I use WD40.

Clean the area ...Dry the area, spray WD40 on, let it set for about 15 minutes then use a cotton towell to gently wipe it off.

Black seems to leave scratches no matter what you use. You may have to follow with a 3M Swirl Remover, then top off with a good wax/polish/sealer.

Others may differ. I'm sure you'll get other responses.

BAGGER
Old 10-14-2006 | 11:16 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AllanJ
What do you guys use to clean off really stubborn bug guts or tree sap? There are a couple spots on my wife's SLK32 with black paint I need to deal with. I'd like to avoid anything harsh since black likes to show off all the problems.

Thanks,

Allan
2004 GT3
P21s Total Auto Wash (also sold as Porsche Bug & Tar Remover) works well. I use it on my Black Mercedes and Midnight Blue 911.
Old 10-15-2006 | 08:17 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thanks,

Allan
2004 GT3
ALso having a solid black finish, I hear your pain.

Wash with your normal wash and mitt (sheepskin I hope). To try to minimize marring, I use an ultra-fine claybar and lube to remove any surface problems (tree sap, bugs that do not come off) then follow with a paint cleanser if needed, normally you should be fine. Or, use a stronger degreaser such as Meguiars APC and dillute, then wash with normal wash and re-wax the area.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:58 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deanski
ALso having a solid black finish, I hear your pain.

Wash with your normal wash and mitt (sheepskin I hope). To try to minimize marring, I use an ultra-fine claybar and lube to remove any surface problems (tree sap, bugs that do not come off) then follow with a paint cleanser if needed, normally you should be fine. Or, use a stronger degreaser such as Meguiars APC and dillute, then wash with normal wash and re-wax the area.

Regards,
Deanski
Ya mean I'm not supposed to use a brillo pad? Which reminds me...many moons ago some kids were doing a car wash to raise money. Among their supplies was Mr. Clean, dirty rags and steel wool. They didn't get many takers.

Thanks for the info, guys. I've been using Meguiar's shampoo and a nice wash mitt but that combo doesn't stand a chance on the tough stuff.

Allan
2004 GT3
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:09 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

I was given one of those Mr. Clean car wash kits. It has its own soap and deionizing filter that is supposed to leave the car spotless. I have washed four cars with it, including my wife's black BMW, and I have to say that it does work as advertised. It doesn't strip wax, either, hence my post.
Old 10-16-2006 | 03:14 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Hi Allan,

There are probably cheaper alternatives, but I use Einszett (1Z) "Anti-Insekt + Pre-Cleaner". It comes in a 1/2 litre spray bottle, works like a dream - spray it on the bugcrud, wait 3 mins, wash normally - no scrubbing req'd.

See their website at www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/precleaners/

-don
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Hi Allan,

There are probably cheaper alternatives, but I use Einszett (1Z) "Anti-Insekt + Pre-Cleaner". It comes in a 1/2 litre spray bottle, works like a dream - spray it on the bugcrud, wait 3 mins, wash normally - no scrubbing req'd.

See their website at www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/precleaners/

-don
This is one product line I highy recommend to Porsche owners! They make a very nice leather treatment, rubber seal treatment as well as other wonderful items. I love the PERLS wash! The Cockpit Premium works so very well on vinyl or plastic items. The Anti-Insekt works damn well!

Thanks Don for bring this product up!

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Car wash question