Sponsored by:

Crystal Cove is history

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Crystal Cove is history

Some are saying the Irvine Company has closed down the Saturday morning get together. Can anyone confirm this?....GR
Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's true. CC Cove in nore more. Rumor has it that there is a local guy that has agreed to move it to his lot just a few miles away.

Sniff.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

I just heard that Ford will be hosting it at the PAG HQ located in the Irvine Spectrum......GR
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GR997S
I just heard that Ford will be hosting it at the PAG HQ located in the Irvine Spectrum......GR
This is true, starting on the 21st. This should be a good alternative and at least they welcome the car show unlike the Irvine Co. stinkers.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
tkarwin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where am I supposed to get breakfast now? There was good food and even better cars at CC.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Yes it is Ford the car company. PAG stands for Premier Auto Group ( Volvo, Land Rover, etc). They are based in Irvine...GR
Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tkarwin
Where am I supposed to get breakfast now? There was good food and even better cars at CC.
They're not opening till 9:00 AM for a while to try to shake everyone off. Just go get breaky at 9:00. Better yet don't spend your money there
Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
They're not opening till 9:00 AM for a while to try to shake everyone off. Just go get breaky at 9:00. Better yet don't spend your money there
that's not fair srfcity.
the retailers are paying for the location to do business.
nothing wrong w/ them wanting to have parking space for prospective customers.
you know b/t the nice cars and the people coming to see the nice cars the lot was being used by a lot of people that were not customers.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icon
that's not fair srfcity.
the retailers are paying for the location to do business.
nothing wrong w/ them wanting to have parking space for prospective customers.
you know b/t the nice cars and the people coming to see the nice cars the lot was being used by a lot of people that were not customers.
The car show brought a ton of business to CC which the Irvine Co. denies. I'd go as far as to say that the show put CC(Crystal Cove) on the map. Now, the Irvine Co. backs off(after benefiting from the free PR) and does not support it and cancels the show. Many of the retailers were bagging on the show too. Why should enthusiasts support a shopping center and company that do not support us? YOU can choose to shop where you want but I'll choose(plus a lot of other car peeps) to shop elsewhere. Except for Starbucks, as they were there to service us from day one. I say let them feel the pinch and figure out where their business was coming from.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

since they don't retail high end cars at crystal cove i don't see how they could have benefited from "free pr".
most gated communities like seclusion not notoriety.
you also seem to be forgetting they did support the car meet for quite a while.
why are retailers that have nothing to do with the car business supposed to support car enthusiasts
by letting them have free use of the lot they are all leasing in hopes to make a living?
in what way are you supporting car enthusiasts to that extent?
of course you can shop where you want but your view is shortsighted and unfair.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icon
i don't see how they could have benefited from "free pr".
Jeez, forget it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that is was a "liability thing" for the Irvine Co., but I could be wrong too...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I heard that is was a "liability thing" for the Irvine Co., but I could be wrong too...
Yes, that's the real reason. I spoke with an Irvine Co. VP and he admitted that. All the other reasons were things that sounded good but hard to argue i.e. it grew too large, too commercialized, residents etc. Below is a copy of the news release. I even contacted this Bill Rams guy and he just reiterated the new release. Oh well, time to move on

N E W S R E L E A S E

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Irvine Company
(949) 720-2675

WEEKLY CAR GATHERING OUTGROWS
NEIGHBORHOOD SHOPPING CENTER

Search Is On For New Event Venue

NEWPORT BEACH, CA (October 2, 2006) -- The search is on for potential new sites for an early morning Saturday car show that has outgrown a community shopping center parking lot at Crystal Cove Promenade.
The show began in 2003 with a few dozen enthusiasts showing off their antique and exotic automobiles early Saturday mornings. It has evolved into a weekly gathering that regularly attracts more than 200 specialty vehicles, 600 observers and commercial enterprises promoting their businesses.
“For more than three years, we’ve tried our best to accommodate this spontaneous and informal car show,” said Susan Jennrich, general manager of Crystal Cove Promenade. “It has grown in size and complexity into an enthusiastic weekly event that is no longer appropriate for a shopping center parking lot near a residential area.”
The show has no single leader or sponsor, but in discussions last week several participants were told the shopping center’s parking lot no longer will be available for the
car show after October 14. Flyers to that effect will be distributed to participants at the next two events.

-more-

2-2-2
The Irvine Company

Jennrich said the car shows have reached a size and scope that they should be subject to a municipal special events permit that would require insurance and trash removal, among other things, and would regulate issues such as hours of operation and noise. Shopping center events held throughout the year are subject to permits issued by the city.
Several car enthusiasts who want to keep the show growing have been in discussions to find a more appropriate venue in Newport Beach that can handle its growing popularity.
“We hope they find a location equipped to handle the significant number of participants, spectators and businesses involved,” Jennrich said.

###
Old 10-12-2006, 06:49 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

From 6speedonline:

ATTENTION ALL CRYSTAL COVE ATTENDEES

Larry Kordower, General Manager of the Ten Restaurant Group (www.tenrestaurantgroup.com) has just announced that he be the new host for the Saturday morning Crystal Cove meetings. The Ten Restaurant group is located at 4647 MacArthur Boulevard Newport Beach, CA 92660. This location is perfect because it has a huge parking lot, and is located in an area with no residential restrictions (meaning no hassle from the police or anyone, it is in a business district). The parking lot is located two minutes away from John Wayne Airport, off the corner of MacArthur and Campus drive. Please send this out to as many people as you can. If anyone organizing the event has any questions, please feel free to call my father, Larry Kordower at (949)-290-9466 (cell). This will go into effect starting Saturday, October 21st at 7:00 A.M., and will be a weekly event with no ending time (stay as long as you want). Pass it on!

Thanks guys, and this is not spam. I am just trying to keep CC alive!

Keep it alive everyone! Dont let a good event go dead!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

I don't think that is final. If you check some of the feedback (Ferrarichat), it appears that the Ford location is still preferred by most...GR

Quick Reply: Crystal Cove is history