Sponsored by:

Approx cost of paint-to-match

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:48 PM
fiftyfive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Approx cost of paint-to-match

I've been intrigued by several 997's on an area dealer's web site ( www.euroclassicsporsche.com ) they ordered paint-to-match. It's apparently sold, but they'd shown a Signal Green C4S with black-painted wheels, pretty striking with red calipers and black interior with red belts.

If I did this, it'd be a solid classic Porsche color. Any ballpark estimates on the cost, also the charge for black center-painted wheels?

Thanks,
John
Old 10-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Dave in Talent, oregon
Track Day

Default Paint to sample..

Paint to sample costs $4315. Painted wheels cost $1290.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The Maritime Blue is good looking.

http://www.euroclassics.com/cardetai...=6501&Type=New

They have 4 or 5 "paint to sample" 997's on their site. It is refreshing to see something other than Black, Gray or Silver on a dealer's lot.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I think that dealership is on the cutting edge of ordering really neat and well optioned cars.

Kudos for being a little off the mainstream. I hope the buying public sees these cars as individual as they are, and buys them so they keep ordering these different combos!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:56 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I think that dealership is on the cutting edge of ordering really neat and well optioned cars.

Kudos for being a little off the mainstream. I hope the buying public sees these cars as individual as they are, and buys them so they keep ordering these different combos!
I totally agree. I mean no disrespect to those who own Black, Gray, or Silver P-cars, but when someone posts that they have a new P-car and they post pics, I can usually predict that it will be _________ (insert the color of your choice: Black, Silver, or Gray). While they are very beautiful cars (what 911 is NOT beautiful?) it's just that...well... been there, seen that, seen that...

Most dealers order most of their cars in these "safe" colors so they don't get stuck with them. But buy following this practice I think the dealers have been perpetuating the Black, Gray or Silver syndrome. If all you see at the dealership is one of these colors, that's what you come to "expect" a Porsche to look like. It is very much like when you mention Mercedes-Benz to someone, most people will picture the MB in Brilliant Silver.

I hope Baggerdude does order his car in Forrest Green. That will be very a different and, IMO, very nice looking 997
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

My compliments and thanks to Euroclassics as well. In addition to being leaders in ordering unique color combinations, they were an extremely useful resource while helping me select a color combo and options even though they knew that I didn't plan on purchasing a car from them. I disclosed that I was in the process of ordering a car from a dealer in the Chicagoland area but that I would be appreciative if they could share their expertise. Two salespeople I spoke to could not have been nicer, more enthusiastic or more helpful. Maybe they should open a consulting branch of their business.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:32 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 899 Likes on 502 Posts

this baltic blue is very nice:

http://www.euroclassics.com/cardetai...=6229&Type=New

but when Porsche says "to match" - what do they mean? this color has a name, so they must know what it is, its not like you walk in there with a chip and they assign a name to it, right?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Dro
Instructor

I really like this Carmon Red Metallic with the matching wheels...

Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

The only downside to the painted wheels is the factory finish is very thin. Most folks I know who I've heard from with painted wheels noticed chipping in the first 1000 miles. But it can be a nice look, and can be done well by the right shop, even after delivery.

Mike Falcone (I've known him for years, used to be in Charlotte), orders a lot of his cars for inventory this way. Paint to sample, leather to sample, often using classic older colors and combinations.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Dro
Instructor

I have over 3000 miles and no chipping at all on my factory painted black wheels.

I do care for them well with a wash each week and an application of Zymol wheel coat after each wash.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nyca
this baltic blue is very nice:

http://www.euroclassics.com/cardetai...=6229&Type=New

but when Porsche says "to match" - what do they mean? this color has a name, so they must know what it is, its not like you walk in there with a chip and they assign a name to it, right?
Porsche will match almost any paint sample you supply them. Hence, the Paint to (match a) Sample.

There are some colors that they will not paint as Edgy01 found out when he requested Gulf Blue, a former Porsche approved color. Apparently, very light colored metalic paints end up looking slightly different on the bumper covers than on the body of the car. IIRC, Edgy01 (Dan) reported that there are about 130 (+/-) colors that Porsche will not accept as Paint to Sample colors.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The father of a friend of mine mailed in a bottle of his wife's nail polish, something like a dark red/burgundy not unlike Carmon, and the factory matched it and sent him a 996 in return. True story
Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kudos, to Euroclassics! Makes me want to order my car through them!

I agree regarding the silver, grey, black colors, how boring! I will probrably order Forest Green, as it seems to be the least ordered color, and I want something unique!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Years ago a story ran about a successful business woman who admired her pink pumps so much she sent them to PAG and had her Porsche made to match.

Don't believe it? Yep, true, and if you scour the factor paint books, there is one chip called "Pink Shoe"... Paint Code Y87.

True.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As mentioned earlier, Porsche will paint virtually anything to sample, save nearly 150 colors which are not compatible with their current painting processes on the 997s,--specifically, many older NON-METALLIC colors. It all comes down to the differences in clear coats from their many vendors.

Porsche actually does sit down in their paint department when a P-T-S order comes in and works to match it or create it. Keep in mind there are some downsides to a P-T-S order which has no presidence,--you will not be able to simply order a tube of touch up paint, or anything simple like that. Every issue with the car gets a bit more complex. But, on the positive side, you get something that is truly one of a kind, and today's body shops can match virtually anything, given enough time and $$.

We're lucky that the 997 automobile looks great in the more common silver and black, but I think is even more special when done in a P-T-S order. The Monroney form (window sticker) will always merely state "Paint To Sample" as they do not assign a name to a particular color,--necessarily. In my case I went back in time to a proven Porsche color (1996-7) and have found it that much easier to order touchup paint or to have something worked on that involves the paint. All paints will be assigned a number in order to differentiate them, but the name thing is rare and unusual.

Back to the original question, it's about $4300 for a non-metallic color and a bit more for a custom metallic,--all virtual bargains in the world of Porsche when you're dropping $100,000-120,000 for a Carrera.

I'd go through the whole nightmare again (it took about a year) to get something a little off the mainstream.

Quick Reply: Approx cost of paint-to-match