Sponsored by:

Watch enthusiasts [totally off topic]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch enthusiasts [totally off topic]

Since I know we have a bunch of watch nuts in the forum (a love of fantastically engineered things is something I think we ALL have in common), I have a question for you. I am interested in a particular watch (Glashutte Senator Navigator Chronograph Date) and have found it at (link removed) for what appears to be a great price. They have a great eBay user rating, are an eBay power seller, etc. Does anyone here have any direct experience with them? Any big red flags about dealing with these guys, or in general buying a fine, relatively expensive wristwatch online? I'm really struggling over this one so any help you can provide would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any knowledge about the positives/negatives of this particular watch, that would also be appreciated.

Last edited by IB Member Support; 03-04-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Link Removed by Request
Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i dont know luxurybazzar, but they do have nice inventory and good rating on ebay.
have you looked into "watch u want", out of FL. he has lots of stuff as well and i have friends who dealt with him and was happy with the purchase.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've dealt with Luxury Bazaar and they are straight up.

They are also heavy duty car guys. Call them up.

Oh and BTW, nice choice in watches.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default G.O.

Originally Posted by ds2k1
(Glashutte Senator Navigator Chronograph Date) Also, if anyone has any knowledge about the positives/negatives of this particular watch, that would also be appreciated.
Watch is terrific. Great movements and good construction. I have a Karree Perpetual and will add a new Senator Perpetual with the new Cal.100 movement when I go to a Glashuette dinner on 10/17.

Now we just to train you up to Lange & Sohne...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Watch is terrific. Great movements and good construction. I have a Karree Perpetual and will add a new Senator Perpetual with the new Cal.100 movement when I go to a Glashuette dinner on 10/17.

Now we just to train you up to Lange & Sohne...
Happen to be wearing my Anniversary today!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
ace4n6
6th Gear

Default Caveat

I have no experience with the site you mentioned. However, I am very aware of an amazingly elaborate invasion of counterfeit watches. (A 'friend' brought three Rolexes back from overseas.) They were known to be counterfeit and cost $20 each, however, the detail was exquisite. They were automatic movements and even a non-Rolex jeweler was fooled. The crown fell out of one of them and the plating wore off the second. The third still looks and works but is not worn. This, over a period of four months. Anyway, I would simply advise caution.

Tourneau is a highly reputable dealer of fine watches and pre-owned watches that include a warranty. You may want to check their web site or a nearby store.

On the other hand, I recently purchased a new Meistersinger from WatchBuys.com. It's a German watch company, though assembled in Switzerland. It's 43mm as it is made from a pocket watch movement, finely finished and totally unique. It has just one hand. It's a no-brainer to tell the time to within a couple of minutes and, "no one needs to know the time to the second". It gets lots of comments and was easily affordable. Tim was my contact and has been wonderfully helpful. (Funny insight - now I have to look twice when I see a clock with two hands.)

I've put away my La Tradition to wear the Meistersinger.

For what it's worth,

Harry.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. And, BTW, would love to move up to the Lange & Sohne, but not ready to commit that much coin to a fledgling obsession. With that said, I can very easily see becoming thoroughly obsessed with a few of the Lange & Sohne watches in the not-too-distant future - absolutely marvelous pieces of engineering.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:37 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Before you buy, go to www.timezone.com. They have a brand forum for that watch. Ask on the forum about the dealer and the watch, you might want to go to the classifeds as well. I bought a WG Daytona this past year and did a lot of my homework on this site.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Harry: the MeisterSinger is an awesome design. Have you looked at the Sinns, also? Beautiful detail, very reasonably priced. The 6100 Regulateur is a classic...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Before you buy, go to www.timezone.com. They have a brand forum for that watch. Ask on the forum about the dealer and the watch, you might want to go to the classifeds as well. I bought a WG Daytona this past year and did a lot of my homework on this site.
I 2nd this reply as timezone is an awesome website with a ton of real world info.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What do you guys think about Porsche Design Watch like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORSCHE-DESI...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know the cheapest place to buy an officine panerai pam188?Ive tried to get hold of one here in the uk but have had problems sourcing one even at list price.There have been a few for sale on ebay in the US but Im wary of buying from another country without a recommendation.

Quick Reply: Watch enthusiasts [totally off topic]