Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 or 997S

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we at Rennlist at least keep the debate requiring neurones...

Nonscensical to characterise the Z06 as american garbage...as noted elsewhere it is an accomplished piece of engineering.

The achilles for this car - from my vantage - is the feedback quality.

If GM can crack that attribute, then we are very very close indeed
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny you hurt my feelings. I am picking up my toys and going home now.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmoney
riotgear dont buy american garbage!!!!!!! big ugly & sloppy. end story.
That's not a very nice thing to say!

I'll go pound sand now ...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Darn! This was a good healthy debate with current and former owners of both Z06/997 autos. Stop the non-factual bashing.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I have a 997S, had a C6 and took a 2006 Z06 belonging to a friend on a long run last week. Here's what I think.

If you're into power, it's no contest. The Z06 wins-game over end of discussion. If your into refinement the 997s easily wins.

While the Z06 isn't bigger, it feels bigger especially from the driver seat. I have to admit I got used to the wide flared fenders when I had my C6 but ergonomically I prefer the sloped front trunk and smaller bulge of the 911's headlights which arc inward toward each other. In the Z06 I feel like I'm leaning backward or pointing uphill, in the Porsche I feel like I'm leaning forward.

From a practical point of view, the Vette wins again with its large rear hatch area which can handle several full sized golf bags. No golf bags for the 997S, you just take another car. In the handling department, both are great. Different but great. The Z06 feels Nascar stiff and goes around anything providing you don't punch it hard and toss the rear end out. (easy to do). The 997 takes a bit more planning as you need to be on the gas and in the correct gear if you're going to get the most out of a corner. I prefer the feel of the 997 but both are a blast.

Even though the suspensions seem to have about the same stiffness, I felt the Z06 had a more comfortable ride because it has significantly softer seats. Note to Porsche, don't soften the suspension to appease the masses, keep it stiff and sporty and soften the seats.

As far as the interior, there's no comparison. The Z06 is pretty embarassing and most entry level Japanese cars have better. Fit and finish-ditto and it gets back to refinement. My C6 doors would swell in hot weather and wouldn't open. Didn't see much diference in the Z06. My 997s is rattle free, the Z06 and my C6 weren't.

In the "soundtrack" department, I much prefer the 997s with PSE. It sounds like a screaming race car at high RPM's while the Z06 even with the baffle fuse removed, sounded subdued. It needs an after market exhaust in my opinion.

Both are head turners but the Z06 gets more attention from men, the 997 gets more from women. (Nice looking women) That's a moot point for me as I'm married, but it's still a fun quality to have.

Which would I rather take to the track? Either. Which would i rather take on a date or to a high school reunion? The 997S. Sorry but it has more class by a pretty good margin IMHO. Still, you can have a lot of fun in either so it just gets down to your priorities.

Best write up by fare. I had a vette way back in '91, bought it brand new. It was total junk. I'm sure the new Vette's are leaps and bounds better than my '91 was. After owning several GM cars back in the 80's I am still terrified of buying GM. Maybe someday when the terror goes away I will look at one. For now I love the European cars especially the ones that start with a P
Old 10-04-2006, 01:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Johnny you hurt my feelings. I am picking up my toys and going home now.
I apologize. I didn't mean to. Don't leave. You can slug me in the arm if you'll call it even.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

look billc4s its still garbage whether you like it or not, sorry to hurt your feelings buddy, but its america and we have freedom of speech, try and have a good day and enjoy your 4s. plus your 4s has a much prettier behind then your vette right...

First you say don't buy American garbage and then you try and drape yourself in the first amendment. Hypocrisy anyone? Either say something intelligent or don't say anything at all.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
PV
Pro

Finally some good stuff and some fire again on the forum.

Just an hello from Europe with about 40000 km on the clock.

Go for the P-car, don't compromise if you don't have to.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
golfman
Instructor

hypocrisy, you asked for opinons and now this, dont forget im an american and can still hate american cars if i like to, you guys are vettey fans and should be on those forms if you cant take someone elses opinon, im out of this thread. later hater, sincerely your loyal porsche advocate....
I think you have seen the advertising from porsche to many times " There is no substitute." I agree with that to a certain point. I will say that the interior and maybe some of the build of the vette isn't great and maybe not up to porsche quality. But you can't find any fault in the corvette engines. Even the regular c6 motors are incredible. To make 400 or even 500 hp and get 18 miles to the gallon is incredible. The handling might not be up to par with the porsche as well but it can make up for it with the engines raw power. Don't get me wrong I love my porsche to death, but I respect the corvette for what it can and can't do. Remember don't believe the hype. I think the rap band public enemy said that. lol
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
soldmystang
Advanced

as the prices for C5 Z06's are dropping, why not p/u a used C5 and then get a 997S? the trade in for a C6 will always be there with a well maintained C5. compromise is for pussies.

btw, i am lurking. snap spin scares the crap out of me. i am seriously rethinking my future purchase choices. although a black 997S with natural leather interior is a very nice looking car.

after next weekend the Z06 might just scare the crap out of me too. but i can always return it to garage queen status.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Yo, wow. I was very reluctant to even open this thread because I remember our WWIII-like "conversations" on this topic in the past. Now, look how civilized we have become! You've gotta love the learning abilities of Rennlisters.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I'm good with talking about either car...both cars are lots of fun to drive!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
rmira
Instructor

I love my 997, but I'm in awe of the Z06s total performance dominantion of almost all cars costing less than $200K. (Check out the videos on www.m5board.com.)

Truthfully - how many of wish that our beloved 997s were a performance match to the Z06.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The handling might not be up to par with the porsche as well but it can make up for it with the engines raw power

Based on the Car & Driver report that I posted in the Cayman forum, the C6 holds its own with a Cayman S on a race track. So if you define handling as the ability to negotiate corners quickly, the C6 has nothing to apologize for in that department either. Furthermore the value proposition on the C6 is incredible. I have a friend who bought an '06 C6 from Kerbeck last month, and with the huge discount they offered he was able to get a nicely equipped car for $46K. Not bad for a 400 HP car that can easily run 1/4s in the 12s, and does a great job on the race track as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

My bud has an 03 C5 Z06 and he loves it. Black on Black as you are suggesting getting and it has more power and acceleration than anyone needs. I rode in it a few times and was decidely uncomfortable having that much acceleration and power and the two of us not being surrounded by a runway and a cockpit as we usually are when we go flying together courtesy of Uncle Sam.

However I did let him drive my 996 and most recently my 997 and he was impressed. Thought it was waay better than his vette in overall categories that are useful to most of us (speed, handling, steering, cost somewhat, name, and value). He thought the 997 especially looked like an exotic upscale sports car inside while the new vette looked better than his previous model but still didn't match let's say his wife's Lexus in interior posh and comfort. As for 500hp + speed; it nice if you're tracking the car and/or in Europe on the Autobahn but otherwise he says he only gets to use its raw speed and grunt late at night on very lonely highways! Otherwise they BOTH catch attention from what I've seen from onlookers and passers by especially when tastefully done!

Enjoy your choice...

Quick Reply: Z06 or 997S