Sponsored by:

911 2S better than cayman s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006 | 09:24 PM
apostolosm
AutoX

Question 911 2S better than cayman s?

HI,

I need help here! Any help will be appreciated! the other posts were helpfull but we are talking about a new car not used! and I really wonder about the sound (not adreesed) I am confused. I am thinking about buying a 911 2S.
The problem is I cannot test drive one (in greece). I managed to drive a cayman s. Price is pretty irelevant since I can afford the carrera s. (and I found a good deal on one with the crono package).

What I loved from the cayman was the sound. After 5k rpm the engince was music to my ears (since the engine is inside the car). Furthermore, I think it is more precise than the 911 for an unexperienced driver (like me, I own a tt).

Will the carrera 2s sound the same? I was the co driver on a cabrio carrera 4 and it did not sound the same, and also felt not as speedy!!. Kind of bland and not as good. How does the carrera 2s sound? Better than the cayman (FROM INSIDE, dont care about from outside).

Comments??

THx a lot.

PS also are the standard leather seats any good on the carrera ??

Last edited by apostolosm; 10-02-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 09:59 PM
raffi
Pro

the carrera S with the stock exhaust is not as loud
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:05 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

You need option XLF, Porsche Sport Exhaust.

The Cayman is a fine car, but it is not a 911. Don't base your purchase decision on the sound alone! And, I do not know the "rules" in Greece - however, if anyone expected me to spend the equivalent of 100,000 USD on a car without driving it first, well... I'd tell them to take a long hike off a short pier...

Good luck!

-don
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:05 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

the cayman exhaust is raspy and kind of annoying when heard from outside the car.
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:08 PM
gweedo911
Racer

IMO, if $$ is no concern, then go w/ the 911. Don't hesitate.....
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:29 PM
apostolosm
AutoX

"""the carrera S with the stock exhaust is not as loud ""

""You need option XLF, Porsche Sport Exhaust.""

Does it sound as good with XLF as the cayman? From outside i dont care I will be driving it

Oh and it costs much more than 100k

How about feel? Does the carrera s feels as fast?

THKS guys

We are talking about a Major decision here

Great forum!!!
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:56 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

just checked the prices for p-cars for you guys.... C2S 127,000Euros, CaymanS 89,000Euros
that's over $161K for the C2S and $113K for the CaymanS

makes the 997Turbo at USD $125K look like a bargain here

speaking of test-drives, in most of the US, you can't get your hands on the 997 Turbo (yet)

I am guessing that the supply/demand is similar for you for the other models as well

hard to answer your question Apostole, depends on what you're looking for.. too many variables to consider in the driving 'experience'. I assume that by TT you mean the Audi TT 180 or 225, fwd/quattro. Even for that car, driving a FWD 180Roadster is very different than a 225QuattroCoupe so not sure where you're coming from but both cars will be very, very different.

You may want to consider the C4 or C4S since Greece is known for slippery roads and you need all the traction you can get

Overall feel is very different for the Cayman vs. 997: gearing/power favors the 997, chassis is more balanced on the Cayman... 997 is more of a 'challenge' to drive, some argue it's more rewarding once you master it...

both cars are very safe, even for inexperienced drivers.. you'll never come close to the potential of either car on the street... the days of the snap oversteer of the 911 are long gone..

have to experience both to find out... ignore the magazine reviews.. see what YOU think!

as far as a cab C4 not seeming as speedy (esp, from the passenger seat!) I can only say that it was the DRIVER, not the car... then again, these cars are more about driving/handling, not so much the shove-you-hard-in-your-seat acceleration.. look at a 997 Turbo or a Vette Z06 for that.
To really enjoy the 911/Cayman/Boxster you have to wind up the engine!

have you driven a 996 or 993? what were your thoughts?
planning to use it as a daily driver year round? do you plan to track it?
do you need the extra seats/storage space?

I would start by driving a pre-owned car... as others said, it's hard to buy the car without having driven it... if you want 'sound' definitely get PSE!

cheers

PS> COUNTERPOINT: consider a base Cayman, not the S. Tons of fun to drive, you have to push it harder to go as fast as some of the other cars.. perhaps more rewarding as you can explore the limits easier than on a 997
Also, amazingly good gas mileage... much better than any 911... since gas in Europe is $$$ it will save you some $ that you can put toward tires--- which you'll need lots of if you have fun with the car
Old 10-02-2006 | 11:24 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

if money is of no concern take a PDE course.
Old 10-03-2006 | 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

the 997 is a great automobile, but it's no cayman.

one car isn't better than the other, just differnt. i can afford both, but bought cayman, well several caymans, but no 997's.

inside the cabin, cayman engine noise is louder.
inside cabin, 997 exhaust is louder.

outside cabin, cayman has almost no exhaust sound at all.
but i wouldn't buy either car due to exhaust notes. you can fixed that easily, just bypass the muffler, both will sound like B747's taking off.

the two cars drive very very differently. one drive, you will be able to decide.
Old 10-03-2006 | 05:52 AM
apostolosm
AutoX

"hard to answer your question Apostole, depends on what you're looking for.. too many variables to consider in the driving 'experience'. I assume that by TT you mean the Audi TT 180 or 225, fwd/quattro. Even for that car, driving a FWD 180Roadster is very different than a 225QuattroCoupe so not sure where you're coming from but both cars will be very, very different."

Have a chipped 205 audi tt fwd (for 8 years almost, got it when it came out).

"makes the 997Turbo at USD $125K look like a bargain here "

The only thing we have better it that the law is much more lax here and we can race the cars much more often . oh and gas is chaper than most of europe.

"You may want to consider the C4 or C4S since Greece is known for slippery roads and you need all the traction you can get "

due to the olympics road condition is much better , plus I want to try the reardriving experience.

"I would start by driving a pre-owned car... as others said, it's hard to buy the car without having driven it... if you want 'sound' definitely get PSE!"

Can you put it afterwards??? The 911 we are talking I can get now but has no PSE.Preowned is not an option since they would kill me in the family

Furthermore, are the standard seats any good??

THX mate I appreciate the help!!!
Old 10-03-2006 | 06:40 AM
Queram
Instructor

I am quite happy with my standart seats and also agree about the relaxed law comment would not buy this car otherwise. We have the most expensive gas though and fuel consumption is just terrible in town.
Old 10-03-2006 | 07:41 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

I recommend the 911 C2S. While both are excellent, words can't begin to describe the differences between the 911 and Cayman. The 911 is an unforgetable experience
Old 10-03-2006 | 08:26 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

If you are deliberating this much about the cars, then you'd do yourself a favor by driving them the way you'd normally do and the best place is a Porsche Driving Event. I did 2. One at Magny-Cours and the other at Imola. You'll have to pay for the rental of the vehicle which is a cheap way to ensure you get the car you want. One thing, call ahead to check if they have the car you want to test drive. I assumed they'd have the C2S available for driving at the France PDE. They did not but that gave me an excuse to go to Imola. The S x51 is what I bought after the 2 PDEs. I did however lose to my wife on color choice. Don't toss a coin on color.
Old 10-03-2006 | 09:26 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

If you are going to spend that much money on a car you must drive it! If they will not let you take a test drive then book a short vacation to Germany and drive them both on the Autobahns and back roads to see which you like. I take vacations out of Germany for Greece for not much money so I would think the reverse would also be possible. Best of Luck
Old 10-03-2006 | 11:28 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

911 C2S>Cayman S "."

Quick Reply: 911 2S better than cayman s?