Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 2S better than cayman s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The 997 S with the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) sounds awesome and IMO better than the standard Cayman S.
I think the Cayman S is the better car (I own a 997S) as it is based on an awesome midengine platform. It is just missing some power and some people care a lot about that.

On the other hand, if you pick a 997S from the dealer lot (at a good discount 10%+) I think that's the better value car, as for a street car it is better equipped and more practical (rear seats for kids if you care about that)

If it weren't my daily driver and I had no kids, I would have bought the Cayman S and will have probably invested a few $ on bits and pieces to get the extra HP the 3.4 engine can truly deliver - 325hp? (before being handicapped by Porsche)
Old 10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
apostolosm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, so the cayman may be more fun to drive? I do not have kids but that will be my only car....

Apostolos
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
928Buyer
Advanced

Cayman + $5k mods > 911 C2S HP
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 928Buyer
Cayman + $5k mods > 911 C2S HP
I think it will take a lot more than $5K to > C2S HP. C2 maybe. More likely just C2 acceleration since the Cayman has a weight advantage.

My 2 cents: As others have said, drive both. The Boxster/Cayman do not have the prestige of the 911, but the mid-engine is way fun and very thrashable. It might be an easier transition from a front engine/FWD. Of course, things can happen fast in a mid engine, so you still need to be on your toes. I think the Cayman S exhaust note from the outside is great. On the inside, there is more engine noise--even more than Boxster. Mufflers are relatively easy to change though. Other things to consider are outward visibility, resale, etc. I also think the 997 has nicer hips. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1 word answer - ofcourse
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
tocho1
Instructor

How about this?

3.8 liter GTR - based on the Porsche Cayman platform
400-HP 3.8 liter X-51 Engine
REVO Software
Cold Air Intake
Custom Headers and Free-Flow Exhaust
Third Radiator for Additional Cooling
Hi-Performance Clutch
Limited Slip Differential
Short Shifter
CROSS 15-way Adjustable Coilover Suspension
Upgraded Front and Rear Sway Bars
Porsche Ceramic Brakes (PCCB)
Fikse Lightweight Wheels
245/35-19 (f) and 285/30-19 (r) Yokohama ADVAN Sport Tires
997 Euro Cup Aero Front with Splitter
Carbon Fiber Height-Adjustable Rear Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Side Intakes
Carbon Fiber Side Mirror Housings
- plus optional interior upgrades

$118,500 Complete
$56,450 Conversion only

http://farnbacherloles.com/st/projects.asp
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Default standard seats are great ..>>

Furthermore, are the standard seats any good??

standard seats are wonderful and, imo, much improved in the 997
but my preference is for sports seats for more support
however, it depends on your build.. some folks find them less comfortable
try a search for more opinions; many threads discuss adaptive vs. sport, etc.

plus I want to try the reardriving experience

makes sense! other than the FWD TT what is your driving experience?

are you in northern greece (and have to deal with more severe winters) or the south (where it pretty much just gets rainy/colder)?

Can you put it afterwards???

Absolutely, you can have it installed at any time for about $3K (here in the US)

Preowned is not an option since they would kill me in the family

not sure I undestand the comment completely... why would they kill you?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arenared
I think it will take a lot more than $5K to > C2S HP. C2 maybe. More likely just C2 acceleration since the Cayman has a weight advantage.
Yes, my buddy fancied up his Cayman S to 327hp with the Sportec treatment. I like the Cayman's handling but without a LSD to put power down, all the power in the world won't help in corners.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
apostolosm
AutoX

""makes sense! other than the FWD TT what is your driving experience?""

Other crapier fwd cars like a renault megane 2.0 and others. The tt I had for 8 years and I trashed the engine (guess was too speedy the first few years).

""
not sure I undestand the comment completely... why would they kill you?""

They dont feel that a car like a preowned porsche that was maintained well and not "tortured " exists. So they feel I wont be safe

""are you in northern greece (and have to deal with more severe winters) or the south (where it pretty much just gets rainy/colder)?""

Noi suburb of AThens , we get some snow every couple of years but not enough to justify a c4 or c4s

Thanks for all your input !!!!! I appreciate it
Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
apostolosm
AutoX

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Yes, my buddy fancied up his Cayman S to 327hp with the Sportec treatment. I like the Cayman's handling but without a LSD to put power down, all the power in the world won't help in corners.
So that 2 much power for the cayman to handle?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by apostolosm
So that 2 much power for the cayman to handle?
no, he's saying that without LSD, you can't get the power down as quickly as you would like to.

however, this issue really only applies to tight low speed corners and usually on the race track. large radius turns and street use, you dont really need LSD, that said, it would be nice if it had one.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by apostolosm
HI,

I need help here! Any help will be appreciated! the other posts were helpfull but we are talking about a new car not used! and I really wonder about the sound (not adreesed) I am confused. I am thinking about buying a 911 2S.
The problem is I cannot test drive one (in greece). I managed to drive a cayman s. Price is pretty irelevant since I can afford the carrera s. (and I found a good deal on one with the crono package).

What I loved from the cayman was the sound. After 5k rpm the engince was music to my ears (since the engine is inside the car). Furthermore, I think it is more precise than the 911 for an unexperienced driver (like me, I own a tt).

Will the carrera 2s sound the same? I was the co driver on a cabrio carrera 4 and it did not sound the same, and also felt not as speedy!!. Kind of bland and not as good. How does the carrera 2s sound? Better than the cayman (FROM INSIDE, dont care about from outside).

Comments??

THx a lot.

PS also are the standard leather seats any good on the carrera ??

First, if having a bit of extra inside space is not important than get the Cayman S over the C2 if you love it. I considered it as well but wanted the rear seat... however... if you can get the C2S than get it and add the exhaust package. However, if you LOVE the Cayman S why get something else that will cost you a ton more and needs Mod's to make you happy? Regardless, you can't go wrong!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Default Apostole, I think you need to wait and consider your decision some more..

as other suggested, if money is not an issue, spend some on travel and experience the cars that interest you
since it sounds like you may keep the car a long time (had TT for 8yrs) I would urge you to make sure it's what you want.. not what the mags say or what everyone says on the forum

they are expensive cars and the depreciation is steep for a quick resale

They dont feel that a car like a preowned porsche that was maintained well and not "tortured " exists. So they feel I wont be safe
LoL! the advantages of new are many and if cost is not an issue, go for it.
On the other hand, if you're getting new, why not custom order exactly what you want?

You were asking about the seats and mentioned the leather.. you do know what different options you have, right? I mean the difference between standard, full leather, soft ruffled leather, etc., and how it applies to the interior (not just seats).

if you don't have to have a sunroof and want something close to the practicality of the AudiTT, the Cayman is IT! It's a blast to drive, rides on a better balanced chassis (mid-engined), you're almost never likely to approach the limits of the car on the street.. engine note is intoxicating at high rpms.. as with most p-cars, you need to wind it up to get performance (part of what makes it fun and why you should not dismiss the the 2.7L Cayman)

a point of reference: in the US, the difference in price between C2S and CaymanS is only $22K or so... no where near the premium you're looking at in Greece.. imo, save >$50K and go with the Cayman

PS> yes, I know this is the 997 board
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 AM
lazlo9
Advanced

On second thought... the real reason I chose the C2 over cayman S besides more space inside was b/c its history, it's quirky back heavy drive (which I LOVE), and because it's gorgeous. I like the cayman s, but I kind of think it looks like a Dodge Crossfire or whatever that car is and I also HATE that Porsche is holding back the power on the Cayman S so it's slower than the C2 (for obvious reasons) and I can't support that.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
no, he's saying that without LSD, you can't get the power down as quickly as you would like to.

however, this issue really only applies to tight low speed corners and usually on the race track. large radius turns and street use, you dont really need LSD, that said, it would be nice if it had one.
Yes. What results is that you spin the inner rear wheel and destroy the tires trying to put the pedal down. In a less than 100% effort, you still have the imbalance and wear on the inner tires trying to put power down out of corners. I personally think that is the type of driving in twisty roads that will be most common. Of course, you can lessen it by keeping PSM on, but even in sport mode there's a little of the wheelspin going on.
Porsche really watered down the Cayman to prevent it hurting the sales of the 911.

Quick Reply: 911 2S better than cayman s?