Sponsored by:

Heard PSE For First Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heard PSE For First Time

Stopped by my dealer this morning to hear PSE live for the first time and wow! That is what I thought a Porsche should sound like. Certainly an option I wish I could have heard back when I ordered my car last year. I now really want to add it to my car. The decision now is whether or not to get the switch installed. Has anyone had PSE installed in their car without the switch (PSE on all the time)? I just wonder if it will be problematic down the road at sale or trade-in time to not have the on/off functionality (thought it sounded better than stock even when off).

Also, once I make the switch I will have a set of the Porsche Chromed Exhaust Tips to sell (had them added on at the time of the tip recall). They have less than 2,000 miles on them.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Dro
Instructor

If you get it installed without the switch it is just hooked up to the Sport button.

Only way (and the best way IMO) to have it on all the time is to unplug the orange connector in the engine compartment. Search for it and you will find details with pics.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Actually when I was talking to the dealer they offered two options: Installed with no wiring work done at all ($2,300) so it will be on all the time or Installed with the switch (approximately an extra 5 hours of work to run the wiring and install the switch) for $3,000. My car does not have the Sport Chrono so I do not have the sport button.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:06 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

While we are on the subect of PSE....

Is it possible to add PSE to the C2 (rather than the C2S)?
I thought no from reading somewhere on this forum but just wanted to confirm.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

sharmat, the answer is yes. It's available for both versions of the 911
Old 09-30-2006, 05:24 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharmat
While we are on the subect of PSE....

Is it possible to add PSE to the C2 (rather than the C2S)?
I thought no from reading somewhere on this forum but just wanted to confirm.

ive got the pse on my non s 997 i have it wired to the sport button as described above and after only two days disconnected the plug and have it on all the time.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:31 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

If you don't install the "switch" (whether or not you have Sport Chrono) you are just putting new mufflers on and they are loud all the time. That's how mine is. I can't imagine it would make any perceptible difference when you sell the car, and you can always add the "switch" any time if you later decide to do so.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I ordered it on my car,--after much review here on the Rennlist. I thought it was a rather pricy option for simple acoustics. But I like the ability to turn it off when I feel like it. There are times when I like to change the 'personality' of the car by quieting it down (particularly as I am entering my neighborhood).
Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree with Dan. I seldom thunder into my neighborhood with all four pipes open, and I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it. Just like they appreciate that the teenaged-kid who lived on our street and drove the very loud Camaro SS has moved to San Diego. Buh-bye.
When I'm on the freeway or out in the country - it's PSE ON. I'm glad I have the switch.

Good to see you Saturday morning, Dan. Your car is even more striking in person than it is in photographs!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

A little suprised to hear that you guys think it is so loud. The car that I listened to was on the showroom floor when my salesman started it up. He switched back and forth a couple of times and then pulled it outside for me to listen to it. It was loud but not obnoxiously loud (not nearly as loud as a BB Triflo exhaust I had on a 3 series a while back). Also, from the posts it seems as if quite a few people are doing the always on modification to their cars.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I agree with Dan. I seldom thunder into my neighborhood with all four pipes open, and I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it. Just like they appreciate that the teenaged-kid who lived on our street and drove the very loud Camaro SS has moved to San Diego. Buh-bye.
When I'm on the freeway or out in the country - it's PSE ON. I'm glad I have the switch.

Good to see you Saturday morning, Dan. Your car is even more striking in person than it is in photographs!
Good to see you,--what a crowd that event got!

I bailed out about a 1.3 of the way into it as I had other business up county. Foxen Canyon Road has some great stretches,--but it needs serious resurfacing!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

I ordered PSE on my C2S, thinking that I would want to quiet it down for the neighborhood. However, after unplugging the orange connector and listening to the rough idle it settles down into just after cranking it each morning - I said SCREW THE NEIGHBORS and left it unplugged.

I happened to bump into the next door neighbor one day and he commented on how much he loved the sound of the car each time I crank it up.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PSE is not that loud. In my neighborhood I can't begin to tell you how many custom choppers and Harleys plus rice rockets we have...must be around 20 or so out of 50 houses. they come back from bike nights or dinner loud pipes and all.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:15 AM
dnp_now
Instructor

Does anyone know where I can get good download clips of the PSE? I've been sitting on the fence about this option for the past 2 months! I've never cared for loud noises. So i'm trying to understand what is all the fuss about, especially since there's no performance benefits with the PSE.

I understand the PSE won't make it sound anything like a screaming ferrari. So what am I missing by not having PSE? It's a $4k option in this country, main reason for my hesitation.

For $4k, I can veg out in front of a new plasma tv after a rough day at work
Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

If you search the Rennteam 997 Forum someone had posted video clips of their car before and after installing PSE. They actually went so far as to post the car starting up in the garage, taking off, and driving by. PSE just gives the car a much deeper more pronounced sound, kind of what you would expect from a Porsche. A couple of my neighbors have 911's and the sad thing is that I find the sound rather underwhelming when they drive by compared to other cars in the neighbor (not exotic at all).

Quick Reply: Heard PSE For First Time