Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all, a quick Intro and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 PM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hello all, a quick Intro and a question.

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. I am a huge porsche fan and have driven the 996 and 997 many times. I am a huge fan of the 993 and although haven't driven one, i have been driven in one and i loved it.

I have lurked about here many times over the last 3 years and thought i might aswell join. I have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of all things porsche, i have been a subscriber to porsche GT for 2 years + and an occasional reader of a few other p-car mags. I am not very up to date on the 997 however.

I currently drive an s2000 and plan on a porsche within the next 12 months.

Here are some old pchoped photos of my fairly new ride. I currently have some ultra rare Blitz Type 01's custom powder coated black with a polished lip - it looks amazing!

A few pics of my current ride:

Anyway my question is:

Does the 997 C2 's' have the widebody, or is it just the C4 'S'?

I am really hoping it is both, as i don't want or need the extra weight here in LA and i am a rear wheel drive enthusiast, yet i MUST have the widebody, i like a fat ****!

Thanks in advance, i look forward to spending more time on here,

Josh.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 PM

The 997 has more of a 993 flared look compared to the 996 with the 4S's being wider than the C2's and C2S's.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:11 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Ah that's what i wanted to know, thanks for the response. I guess i will have to test drive and see if the width is really worth the weight of the awd system...is there any chance of a widebody coming out without the c4s for the naturally aspriated models?

I have driven the 997 a great deal, the interior alone is such a step up from the 996, hence the reason i am not getting a 996 turbo when i purchase. It really was an 80% change from the 996.

I guess as long as i don't get too worried about finances, i will be looking to buy a 997 C2'S', C4'S' or here is the worry - the vette C6 Z06...it is such a tremendous bang for buck that i could live with the lack of a refined interior. The obvious factors holding me back are the image (especially here in LA), the lack of a drop top in the 'z' form and the worry that the car doesn't feel as fast as it is when driving - something my s2k gives me great joy in - you don't have to do double the speed limit to feel like you are going quick, just redline in second and third!

We'll see what happens nearer the time, whether i will be on a power trip - c6z06 which will dominate most of the cars on the road, or whether a classier vehicle with prestige and proven performance will be enough to entice me...it's a back and forth decision right now,

Josh.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche claims that none of the wider bodies (22mm on each side) will be offered for the Carrera S or Carrera models. Only the C4, C4S, 997TT, and Targa 4/Targa 4S wil come with the wider bodywork.

If you get some time to look under a 997 and compare it to the 996 you will see a significant transformation.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:39 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche claims that none of the wider bodies (22mm on each side) will be offered for the Carrera S or Carrera models. Only the C4, C4S, 997TT, and Targa 4/Targa 4S wil come with the wider bodywork.

If you get some time to look under a 997 and compare it to the 996 you will see a significant transformation.
Right - that's why i stated that i see the 80% change...i wasn't being sarcastic!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:24 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LA Brit
Right - that's why i stated that i see the 80% change...i wasn't being sarcastic!
the gt3rs is also a widebody.
so it's all 4wd models and the gt3rs!

good lookin s2000
jeff
Old 09-30-2006, 07:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
the gt3rs is also a widebody.
so it's all 4wd models and the gt3rs!

good lookin s2000
jeff
Jeff - I see you are getting ready for Halloween with your new avatar!
Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, Josh! I see you are from LA... good to have another Rennlister from Louisiana!

Okay, just kidding.

You've probably already seen the 20 million threads comparing the Vette and the 997. That should help you in making a decision.

Again, good having you on board.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Thanks for the welcome Soulteacher.

To be honest i am completely confused and i know i am going to regret whichever car i will buy for one reason or another, here are my thoughts:

If i buy say a 996 Turbo Cab, which is roughly the same price used as a new z06, i will regret not getting the new body style 997, though i'll love the cabriolet and turbo. The interior will bug me, as i know will be driving the older style and i know how huge the difference between the 996 and 997 is first hand... I will also be very scared once it is out of warranty.

If i get a 997 cab, i will be happy. I will want it to be the C4'S' however and that is pretty pricey - much more than a new vette. It will be amazing - it has prestige, enough power to keep me happy, an amazing interior, rear seats, which can at least house an adult sideways. Only problems with it really are the fact that here in West LA they are everywhere, i MUST have the widebody if i am going to spend this much money, it isn't that much more, but i don't want the awd to be honest. I can live with it though, i would want the widebody. It would be great as it would have a new warranty. It really would be amazing, but at $105k or so, it is going to be too rich for my blood if i am honest with myself, i can afford it, but it will be a stretch and no car is worth doing that for.

If i get the vette, it will not be a cab, huge disadvantage. It has terrible brand image, yet although it is no porsche in terms of build, interior and other issues, it is actually more unique here in West LA at least compared to the dime a dozen porsche's. I have seen very few in the last year - 4 in West LA compared to the 20 997's i see on my 10 min commute to work. It doesn't have the lust factor or a Porsche however, and i think my snobby side will regret not being able to say i own a Porsche.

The Vette is an amazing performance bargain however, and if i got what i wanted - black on black, carvaggio seats and steering wheel, powder coated black rims, de-badge, limo tint etc, it would look amazing. It would still have a hardtop however, and i have heard awful responses from owners complaining they only realise how fast they are going when they look at the speedo - it has no sense of speed. I don't want lots of speeding tickets just because i want to go fast. It is a great deal cheaper however, something that i can afford more comfortably, especially when you consider that services are about $150 cheaper minimum. I will miss the top down experience, but i do have a motorcycle for that...

As you said, a test drive will seal the deal ultimately, i have no idea what i'll end up with, but i have been on many forums and am a complete car nut and am not going to come on here, or go back to corvette forum/ z06vette.net to talk crap about why i did or didn't buy the car belonging to the forum, i just appreciate all 3 cars for what they are in different aspects.

Tough decision for me, i am SURE i will change my mind on a weekly basis until i buy one, which is another thing i am not sure about, depends how much longer i can live with the s2000 for!

I believe all the above are the random thoughts of a car-nut!

Josh.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's a suggestion,--order a Paint To Sample Porsche. Frankly, way too many Porsche drivers today seem stuck on silver and when you walk up to the valet and ask for the 'silver Porsche' it takes the some time to figure out which one it is. With a custom color you get the exclusivity back. Why this is not more popular I do not understand. Sports cars are fun cars and they need to be bright, cheerful colors!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Nice suggestion. I would go with cobalt blue most likely with a tan/natural brown interior. I do agree with you RE silver. I really dislike silver cars and will not own one again.

Yours is a lovely color, congrats - i read all about your trip picking yours up on here - i have scanned through the last 25 pages from the last year on the 997 forum on rennlist!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm obviously biased - love the Cobalt Blue. But agree with Dan, get a bright color - keep it cheerful. Either "paint to sample", red, or yellow.

As for interior color, I have the grey and really love it. I also have the grey LLyod's mats with "Carrera S" sticthed in red.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM
birdman
Instructor

Josh - I went through a similar decision process prior to my first Porsche. I drove a soft top 'vette and did not care for it. The dealer stated they would call me when a coupe was in stock. I stopped by the Porsche store and drove a 987 Boxter which I bought the next day. The P-car dealer called me to come and drive the Cayman when it arrived. I became attached to the additional power of the Cayman and then started thinking about a 997. I drove both non-S and S versions and nearly pulled the trigger on an '06 S coupe when a "deal" came along. The "deal"? A 996 C4s cab. I took that car for a test drive and noted it felt just as solid as the coupe. The interior was as quiet as the coupe. I'm a new car sort of guy so the decision came down to a 997S coupe or a 997 cab. I chose the 997 non S cab and am very happy with the decision. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:11 PM
LA Brit
Racer

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
I'm obviously biased - love the Cobalt Blue. But agree with Dan, get a bright color - keep it cheerful. Either "paint to sample", red, or yellow.

As for interior color, I have the grey and really love it. I also have the grey LLyod's mats with "Carrera S" sticthed in red.
I am with you on the Cobalt Blue. Exotic blues are my favourite colour, which is why i have laguna blue on my s2k right now.

I am very opinionated regarding colours on cars, my uncle's 997 in yellow is nice...for a month, it is just too gaudy.

A bright red shouldn't be on any car except a Ferrari or possibly an Alfa, whenever i see a bright red on a Porsche i always think it is trying too hard although it does look good.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

The thing is, you will probably never make an ultimate decision, no matter how much time you spend on thinking this and thinking that. I contemplated on my order for six months before placing it (slate gray 997 S Coupe). Then I ran to the dealership at least once a week to make changes. Just after my order went into pre-prod status, the dealer received a seal gray cab. Not at all what I had ordered, but my best friend convinced me to test-drive it; what can I say, I wrote a check and took it home the same day. I am more than 100 percent satisfied, even though it wasn't what I had initially thought about. But you simply cannot go wrong with a Porsche, any Porsche.

Quick Reply: Hello all, a quick Intro and a question.