Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison of 997s to Aston V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AMV8 is simply one of the best looking cars out there. Just beautiful. Now if AM would just pump up the HP, then it would compete better in performance.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devon7
I turned down my slot for the AM at launch and went for the C2S.

I do have to agree with the other comments - the AM is beautiful; but after seeing one parked next to my 997 I was surprised how much smaller the AM looks. Too small for my taste, I even thought it looked a bit too pretty to be honest, if you know what I mean.

Now if only I could run to a Vanquish, that'd be a different story!
i agree about the amv being small...it detracts from its looks...my neighbor bought one last month....after driving it i have to say it sounds great but doesnt have same level of performance as the 997s..also the interior is nice but i dont thinks its as functional as the 997s and i like the seat position better in the porsche...the other negative to me is that the new xk jag looks similar from the back...i believe the jag and aston martin have the same chassis if i am not mistaken.....one other factor..the amv is 30k$ more than the 997s, its in the 997 turbos price range, and the turbo will absolutely kill the aston martin,,,actually any aston martin....
Old 12-28-2006, 06:05 AM
kilikay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had a tough time deciding this as well.. My previous cars within the last 2 years include, TWO SL55's, a 360 F1, a Gallardo E-Gear, and afterwards I thought I was going to settle down and stay away from the exotics with a nice 'ol 997 C4S Cab... I REALLY REALLY wanted to buy the Porsche and loved the idea of a great looking car, that was reliable, handled WONDERFULLY, came with a convertible top, and had a nice zippy engine that felt just as fast as my 360 (although not quite a gallardo or SL55). THEN I looked at the AMV8, it was not as quick but I fell in love with the lines. Even without a drop-top (and I live in Los Angeles), the AMV8 just mesmorized me. I know I will eventually find my way into a Porsche, either the 997, or the restyled 997 coming out later this year (or next year), but for now.. you can't beat the styling of an exotic with better reliability than in an Aston Martin. My Gallardo was always in the shop, and the 360 was just expensive to maintain. On the other hand the Aston V8 is quite cheap, clutches only take a day and don't cost $3,000, and it is even more fun to drive than the Gallardo or the 360 because of the better visibility and amazing ride/handling

Now if this were my daily driver i'd be more concerned, but being a secondary car the Aston is "just" reliable enough that I don't have to worry, and cheap enough to fix, while having just the right amount of "exotic" built in. And like the previous posters have stated, in Los Angeles Porsche's are a dime a dozen which I HATE because the car is beautiful, but sometimes you just want something a little different... (and you don't wanna be labeled the mid-life crisis guy .. lol)
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Aston has a real dry sump like a GT3!

Quick Reply: Comparison of 997s to Aston V8 Vantage