Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C4S or Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
targa4S
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your comments, I think Im going for the Targa 4S as I will use it mostly on the street.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
After putting a couple thousand miles in this 4S coupe I'm starting to wonder about AWD... because the car seems to really, really stay planted to the road... I'm having a hard time making the tires chirp anymore. It really is like it is on rails.

Hey, any of you 4/4S drivers experience a difference between the way these AWD 911's feel under PASM Sport damper settings and the way 2WD 911's feel under the same stiffer setting? For me, the 4S in full sport damper settings is much more tolerable on the street.
If you have PS2's then they aren't a very chirpy tire. They squeal a bit, and then break free with little audible warning (at least that is what I've seen at the track). However, they are great tires and rarely break free, so it isn't necessary a huge knock on them - unless you are driving at the limit all day.

The 4s's are on rails. You've got to do something really stupid (usually intentionally) to break the back end free when PSM is on (although Sports Mode will allow roughly 18 degress of slip before it kicks in if you don't touch the brake). If you turn PSM off then you can toss the back end at will if you want. God I love the handling of these things in both modes!

I've not noticed any stiffer feel in the 2S with PASM Sport Mode versus a 4S. Was the 2S you were in a newer car? It takes about 4000 miles for the suspension to start to loosen up, so if you had a broken in 4S and compared to something like a 2000 mile 2S then you'd see a much stiffer ride in both modes with the 2S.

Quick Reply: 997 C4S or Targa 4S