Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a C4S, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
BTW, the AWD is not just for the snow... it is an amazing car in the wet.
AND the dry.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally I have a chance to write up my about my test drive. I loved the C4S. I found that it had a much more involving feeling of the road. I attribute this to the fact that the DRC in the RS4 is soaking up a bit too much information, even though it provides a very firm and flat ride. Additionally I suspect (but could be wrong) that the fact that the C4S has only 5% power up front under normal circumstances allows the front tires to transmit more feel of the road to the steering wheel, where as the RS4 will hug every pivot in the road when on a crappy pavement. On the perfect road the differences were negligable.

I found that the 911 was more nimble in the sense that it was able to be a bit more agile with steering inputs. The RS4 in contrast was more scalpel like. It goes exactly where you point it with no variety or surprise. Which is better is purely preference. I thought the 911 exhibited a bit of oversteer, at least in comparison to the RS4 which I think until extreme circumstances will remain closer to neutral than any past Audi ever has. This could be just my not being used to a rear engine car.

About the rear engine. You can definitely feel its presence in the C4S. This is not a bad thing, but its there. The front engine in the RS4 is not noticeable at all, unlike past Audis such sa the S4. You have to take it quite far to feel it, where as the rear engine in the 911 can be felt at only 4/10ths of the car. Again, not a bad thing, but it took some getting used to. You really felt like the 911 was pushing you through turns, where as the RS4 with its closer to full-time AWD was sucking you forward in a frenzied blur. Again, which is better? Preference I'm afraid or frankly both.

As far as the feeling of speed, grunt and torque, the RS4 provided it in more evidence. Driving through the same twisty backroads in a back to back comparison (RS4 being 2nd on the way home from the dealer) and it was evident that the RS4 was beastlier in this regard. I would describe it in comparison to the C4S as a Monster that dances on its toes while wearing ballerina shoes. It can dance as no other monster can. It can almost dance as well as the petite and well trained young lady, but it has a fiercer and more passionate sweeping motion.

I just gave you a comparison that went back and forth. The truth is that when I got out of the C4S I was thoroughly impressed, so much so that I was thinking of how I can break it to the wife. But then I got back in my RS4 and did the same circuit of backroads on the way home. Within about 1000 feet I had become engrossed again in the RS4. It was fiercer, if not as nimble and I found that I preferred its slightly more predictable character, its almost knife-like accuracy, in comparison to the C4S, which felt at times like its front moved independently from its rear. Its rear always coming in behind slightly after the front (again, not a bad thing, a different thing)..

The comfort of the RS4 was obviously an advantage. I found the C4S to be a much more enthralling, hey I'm on the actual road kind of car. The RS4 felt more of a "hey don't get in my way i'm driving a jet airplane" kind of car.

So where does that leave it? Well first of all, its all opinion but let me rebuke the fellow who said the RS4 was an SUV and "boring". Uh, I strongly disagree if you can't tell. These are two amazing cars.

So amazing that I won't trade my RS4 for a C4S... but, I won't stand for not owning a C4S. I'm afraid I must have both... That will be a neat trick with the wife. And with the R8 recently unveiled in Paris, the choice just became harder.

I don't know what I'll end up doing. For now I will continue to enjoy the RS4 and wait to figure out my move on the C4S or possibly R8. But one thing is clear, the C4S 997 is one hell of a car. Is it a better sports car than the RS4? Without a doubt. Is it a better car than the RS4? Not really, no, not considering that I mix my spirited driving with hauling the occasional client or friend.

Like I said, the answer just might be to have both

Cheers and thanks for the chance to learn about this amazing car!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RS4 is an awesome car. If I didn't want a bigger car, it would've been in my garage already. I also think Audi is stupid not to offer Euro Delivery, esp for a car like this.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Hey thanks for the review. Cars like the RS4 and C4S are a passion and not a must-have; therefore, the feelings you experience when you drive the car matter most.

Thanks for the honest feedback and keep lurking on the board to keep us informed as to what Audi has in store for the world. If the Audi dealer network did not suck in Florida I would consider buying one for the wife. As it is I just bought a 335 (the new twin-turbo variant) for the wife until the next M3 ships.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
evansaero
Pro

Default off topic sorry

Originally Posted by Driveby
Hey thanks for the review. Cars like the RS4 and C4S are a passion and not a must-have; therefore, the feelings you experience when you drive the car matter most.

Thanks for the honest feedback and keep lurking on the board to keep us informed as to what Audi has in store for the world. If the Audi dealer network did not suck in Florida I would consider buying one for the wife. As it is I just bought a 335 (the new twin-turbo variant) for the wife until the next M3 ships.

Cheers.
Whats your initial thoughts of the 335?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

Funny enough I also test drove the 335 a week ago down the exact same roads that I drove the C4S and the Cayman S. My reasons for testing it though were pure curiosity, I am not looking for a car in its tier so take my comments with some salt.

I thought that the 335 steering was as good (almost) as the Cayman S. It didn't have quite as nice a road feel to it, and handling was a little less neutral (obviously?) but it drove very very well.

That said about the 335, I had some major issues with it. Steering wheel circumfrence was too small (although appropriately thick). The clutch pedal was placed too close to the brake pedal (I did an oopsy on the turn out of the dealer lot). The clutch was a tad vague on the uptake. Seat positioning no matter how I placed it always felt like awkward when looking out of the car compared to any of the other cars I've recently test driven. The gearbox was snappy (better than the Cayman S, not anywhere near the 911 or RS4 however).

And last but not least I didn't care for the interior which felt cramped (and far less comfortable than the cabin of the 997 or Cayman S).

I'm not meaning to bash the car. It does what it was intended to do. The car is quick, although doesn't provide an exciting exhaust note and isn't as riotously fast as the 911 C4S or RS4 (obviously). I still think they did a very solid job on the car for what its meant to be. Styling-wise I am also not a fan but that is a matter of taste. As far as turbo lag, its highly minimal, but I think it's still there, just barely.

Very good car, but IMO not quite the car that they auto press and hype have been suggesting. Driveby, hope you don't take offense to my review, afterall it was for your wife right This car is not meant to compete with the other cars we're talking about in this thread so again, for what it is it's a wonderful car. I probably would still take my old 2005.5 S4 over the 335 simply for comfort, practicality, style, sound and performance, if not for nearly the same performance level.

But I can't fault anyone for chosing the 335. Seems like a very intelligent car in a sea of wannabes

Happy driving.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by evansaero
Whats your initial thoughts of the 335?
The 335 is a fantastic car for the money. Yes, my wife had an E46 M3. We both had two M3's for awhile but mine was heavily modded. She likes the 335 better than the M3 because it is just as quick and is more comfortable and feature laden: bluetooth phone to yap on, width-adjustable sports seats, better stereo than the HK crap in the M3, and that lovely 300 ft lbs of torque at 1400 RPMs. The downside is a bit less steering feedback from the steering wheel.

We swapped cars for just one day and I felt very comfortable in it. The big thing I missed was the modded exhaust of my C4S. At least the 335 does not have the awful chain saw sound of the M3 that I tried to mask on my car with new piping from SuperSprint to no avail.

I considered the new 2007 G35 for a moment but then thought of the first ECU flash I saw that will take the car to 360 HP. She does not want to do that. Instead she like the great service we get from our BMW dealer and free maintenance means she can practice stomp, stay, and steer all day long without writing a check.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:27 AM
devon7
Advanced

Quantimouse - great review thanks. I've just been offered an RS4 so so very interested in your comparison.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

devon7, my pleasure. If you're in the UK then you have it better as the RS4 has the Euro steering wheel we lack on our models across the pond. I'll be installing mine soon however.

Best thing to do is to take a test drive in an RS4, preferably one that is broken in because I can tell you that before 3k miles the engine is tight and the ECU in the Audi limits power until 1500 miles has been hit.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a C4S, thoughts?