Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a C4S, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:04 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well someone on another forum was asking about trading in his p-car for an RS4 because he needed more room.. I dunno, I am going to look at the C4S tomorrow. I am excited to see the difference. I'll report back. Obviously both are great cars, have different things about them.

Thanks for all the great constructive feedback so far
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

I have the RS4, an '05 997S, STI, and EVO...
The STI fully modded is a BLAST. The EVO is a IX so it's not quite as modded as the STI yet (Fun car though). The 997 has full Fabspeed, Ceramics, and is getting the Bilstien PASM shocks installed now. The RS4 is currently stock, except for a more aggressive alignment (so worth it!). Next week it gets a full Milltek exhaust.

Of course the 997 and the RS4 are like driving bank safes, albeit nimble ones, when compared to the Jap rally duo. The RS4 draws far less attention than the 997... I like that. It's too quiet, but that will be fixed. I have the Stasis/Ohilns coilovers on my Allrod (allroad with RS4 plumbing and software), and think the RS4 would benefit from them. One can fit way more shft in the RS4 because the rear seat folds down, but not people! There is absolutely no leg room in the rear. The 997 is a really sweet car (I have no experience with the 4), but is not an every day car in a non-wealthy environment. At least for me, screams $$ more than the RS4.

It must be me, but... none of these cars are perfect from the factory. They need tweaking, and that can be expensive. Maybe the coming RS would work for me without mods, but I don't know.

I think the RS4 is a 'classic.' It's a monster when you drive it hard. With a Stasis suspension, no interior, and a full race exhaust and tune, it would be fantastic. I like the really thick Nappa leather too much to do that. REVO has sent some tune's for my car though, to go with the exhaust... should be interesting. If I had the guts, I'd rip out the interior, put the front seats in my Allrod... and... uh...
oh well.

Last edited by edwardschmedward; 09-22-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

edwardschmedward, what do you mean by the 911 not being an every day car for a non-wealthy environment? you mean if you live in an area that is not used to money, it attracts too much attention?

you said some intriguing things about the rs4. i would love to lose some of its weight, but not its luxury. you are getting REVO software to go with your milteks? i would really be interested in hearing if you get any performance gains out of that.

what about putting lighter wheels and ceramic brakes on the RS4? The reduction in unsprung weight would have what effect on its accelleration and handling?

also you mention a more aggressive alignment. what effect has it had on your RS4? any loss in comfort?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

Yes, 997 shouts money in a primarily middle class area... My Ford F-350 fits right in.

Apparently the Ceramic brakes are VERY expensive. I am changing wheels too.
It's a 4-door what do you want... drive a modded STI, it has more low down tourqe than the EVO so is more tractable... see if you like that. MUCH less $ Less $ to modify Less status...

The alignment only affected the steering feel, it's not so 'vague' now, it has more 'road feel.'

Check out Audiworld.com RS4 forum...
Old 09-23-2006, 12:24 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

are you changing wheels for weight savings or just for looks?

i don't care about expensive, if i can keep the four door and beautiful interior of the RS4 and gain some power/weight ratio I would do it. but it has to be noticeable.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

2nd question for you edward. i see you're in the Hudson River Valley area. I am not far from there, in CT. Who did you use to do the install on your suspension?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

FarnbacherLoles in the Danbury Airport Complex...

They are Great. Ask for Spencer, tell him I sent you... His old boarding school friend... he's only got one... Edward. Great place to see. Mine will be there next week getting the exhaust, the 997 is there now. My EVO's there too, getting seats out of a GT2. They are doing Audi's now as well as P-cars. I can't say enough good things about the shop. REVO connection too, good one. The principals are there from London quite frequently, they took data from my RS4 when I got it, and have maps made now. www.farnbacherloles.com Not a great web site, but I'm working on them!

They did the alignment for me too. GET IT DONE! It's a different car with it...
If Spencer isn't there, ask for Kip. Roger would be next.

Last edited by edwardschmedward; 09-23-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:56 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Edward, thanks for all the info.

Can you think of any weight savings to be had on the RS4 short of taking out seats?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Well I just came back from the 997 C4S test drive. I want to write up a nice little review of my day. It will have to wait until later. In short, it's a fantastic car.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quantimouse
Well I just came back from the 997 C4S test drive. I want to write up a nice little review of my day. It will have to wait until later. In short, it's a fantastic car.
We will be waiting for your review. Until then ...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 AM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

Yeah.... well....???
Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

I'll write it up soon sorry, I wanted to do a good job and not rush it so bare with me.. thx..
Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 AM
quantimouse
Instructor

I haven't forgotten, the 997 C4S is greatness.. just bare with me..
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

well, two very different cars.
i had S4 and driven a RS4 pretty hard not long ago. RS4 is a great SUV, sport utility vehicle, i would use it to haul my track tires for my track cars. it's fast but boring.

C4s isn't exactly light either (lotus is light, not porsches), but it sure feel more nimble and sporty then RS4. if you dont need the utility and space of RS4, i would take C4S over RS4 anyday.

but keep in mind that C4S will not have the thrust and grunt of RS4, by a long shot.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

I've been an Audi person for a few years and I therefore did consider the RS4. That was only for a brief second though... I went for the C4S and I LOVE IT!

You really won't regret the move... do it and begin the experience!

BTW, the AWD is not just for the snow... it is an amazing car in the wet.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a C4S, thoughts?