997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Install, is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006 | 09:35 PM
JDC48
Intermediate

Default Radar Detector Install, is this ok?

Is it ok to hook up a passport x50 to any open fuse space in the fuse panel? I want to make sure that I will not damage anything if I use one of the open ones. I know somebody said they used the rear wiper fuse. I don’t have a rear wiper, but I have a fuse in there. Can I pull that one out and hook up the wire there. Also if you have hooked up a radar detector to the fuse box, where did you ground it?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006 | 12:39 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No problem in using any open circuit. You porbably only need a 3A fuse for the detector.

I grounded mine to a bolt near the fuse block. You can check for a good grounding spot with a simple test light.
Old 09-22-2006 | 01:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Some people like to use a 'switched circuit' so that when the car is running, the detector is on. (It saves you having to turn it on and off each time at the switch of the unit,--and makes sure that you didn't FORGET to turn it on each time.)

My plan is to use a switched circuit and then override it if I must at the unit,--but it will be on potentially whenever the engine is running.
Old 09-22-2006 | 03:17 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

On my '06 997 C2, the 2 power outlets and the cigarette lighter outlet are "on" all the time, even when the key is out of the ignition. I'd like to hook my V-1 to a circuit that goes "off" when the ignition is "off", so I don't have to bother turning on/off the radar det. every time I turn the ignition on. Any suggestions about circuits.
Also, is the outlet "on" situation programmable, so the outlets can be "off" when the car is off ?
Also, anyone know why the Porsche manual recommends that accessories not be plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet ? Is it not OK to plug a radar detector or I-Pod into the cig. lighter outlet (like every other car I've done so) ?
Old 09-22-2006 | 06:20 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

I think there is a possibility that plugging things other than the cigarette lighter will damage the prongs in the outlet. Then the cigarette lighter won't work. You can get around that by getting a radio shack adapter, then you can plug in as may things as you want.
Old 09-22-2006 | 07:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Do a V1 search on this forum. This has been described nicely ad neuseum...

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Install, is this ok?