Sponsored by:

Creating mp3 CD's for Porsche CD player

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating mp3 CD's for Porsche CD player

Just thought I'd share my last hour of experimentation. I'm sure there are experts out there who can correct anything I say here which my not be technically correct.

I use Yahoo music service, which is WMA-based (I think i-tunes will work similarly, but I'm not sure).

SCENARIO 1: Songs purchased on-line
1. For songs which are purchased, and downloaded in WMA format, I found that I needed to burn an "audio" CD (as opposed to an mp3 CD) with these songs.

(This may be obvious to most, but an mp3 CD is essentially a CD-R with data files, whereas an audio CD is like the one's purchased in stores.)

2. From the audio CD, I then "ripped" the songs back to my computer in mp3 format using the Yahoo music engine.

3. I could then burn these mp3 files back to another CD in mp3 format (i.e. data files).

4. The obvious benefit of an mp3 CD (as opposed to an audio CD) is that they can hold a couple of hundred songs because of the mp3 compression. A CD-R is about 700 megabytes, and songs are around 3 to 4 megabytes.

Presumably the sound suffers compared to an audio CD, but the audio CD can only hold 15 to 20 songs. In casual listening, I couldn't tell much difference in audio quality between the two, however.

SCENARIO 2: Songs from your own Audio CD's
For songs which I ripped from CD's I owned, I could burn those directly to the mp3 CD without the interim step described above.

SCENARIO 3: Subscription songs
To my knowledge "subscription" songs (perhaps unique to Yahoo) cannot be burned to a CD in any circumstances.

I am by no means an expert on this topic, just wanted to share what worked for me.

Hope this helps.

P.S. the logo on the Porsche CD player says both mp3 and WMA, so presumably unprotected WMA's could also be played. I haven't tried this, however.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

why did you not try to just convert them to mp3 on the computer?

So I assume you found out how to create files for mp3 cds?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD

I don't have a program for direct conversion (unless this can be done in Windows Media Player). Also, do you think this would work given the fact these songs are WMA's from Yahoo Music Engine." I assumed that although Yahoo has this service, and allows purchased songs to be burned to CD, it still needs to make things difficult for mass copiers.
Yes. Works fine on Porsche CD player
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Roxio's Easy Media Creator is also a great product for ripping MP3s as well as converting. Best Buy sells it.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD

For protected music, the easiest way is to burn and re-rip. There are however, programs of suspect legality that will do it for you.

Of course, if you are the rightful owner of the digital content this isn't an issue, but these programs are frequently used for ... less than legal activities.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What's the best way convert Itunes music into mp3? Is there a cheap program to do this?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:03 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
What's the best way convert Itunes music into mp3? Is there a cheap program to do this?
Anyone have answer to this. Not trying to do a mass duplication for commercial purposes, just for my car. A search on Google list a lot of options, but what will work. I have a Mac....Thanks ..GR
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

iTunes can be configured to import using different encoders.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:38 AM
W211
Racer

I use Roxio's Toast to burn mp3 CDs on my Mac. The Porsche PCM actually recognizes folders as well.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zumaron
iTunes can be configured to import using different encoders.
I don't have a problem with import mp3 format into itunes. I want to export my music from itunes on to a cd in mp3 format.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

For iTunes if you select the song and then right click you'll get an option to convert it to MP3. It actually copies it to MP3 so you'll have both versions on your PC. It works great.

Matt
Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
For iTunes if you select the song and then right click you'll get an option to convert it to MP3. It actually copies it to MP3 so you'll have both versions on your PC. It works great.

Matt
Will this work( and how?) on a Mac. Can I then burn an MP3 cd with songs that were bought from the iTunes store? Thanks for the help....GR
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
chbj
Advanced

Originally Posted by meaker

I'm using AudioGrabber from www.tunebite.com. It costs about $20. This has been working fine for me. I also tried Hymn (hymn-project.org) which is free, but couldn't get it to work.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

The issue with iTunes is on purchased songs from iTunes, NOT songs imported from a CD. Songs that are purchased from iTunes carry a protected AAC format. These protected songs will not convert nor download into MP3 format. The only method I currently know to get these purchased songs to MP3 is to make a regular CD and then re-import the CD ensuring your download format is set to MP3.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

question: with all this reformating/ importing/ exporting of the song, would it degrade the sound quality to the point that a regular person can hear the different? If so, why spend all the money on a high end stereo system?

Quick Reply: Creating mp3 CD's for Porsche CD player