Sponsored by:

Tom Tom install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Tom install

I put a tom tom gps unit in today. Since my 06 c2s had no nav and the dealer wanted $3500.00 to put it in. I was wondering if anyone else had put a mobile gps in and where did you guys install it in the car. I wanted to put it some where and leave it installed so I didn't have to mess with taking it out and hooking it up all the time. It fit nice on the left of the dashboard between the A pillar and the instrument panel. If any of you have pics of the location and install please post or email. Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a lot of money to put in a portable GPS.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Was 3500 to hardwire it to the ignition? thats BS.

One of the members here AJ (guy who planned the hamptons tirp) reported that manhattan motorcars wanted 3000$ to hardwire a valentne 1. We went to an enthusiast tech session from PPBB.com and Kevin the slow was kind enough to do it for free, took about 20 minutes...

This is a definite DYI.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he meant 3500 to have a Porsche Nav installed. The portable unit can be mounted on where you've put it - by the a pillar. The wire can be hidden.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:41 AM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by djantlive
i think he meant 3500 to have a Porsche Nav installed. The portable unit can be mounted on where you've put it - by the a pillar. The wire can be hidden.
Exactly, I guess my post wasn't very clear. The dealer wanted 3500 hundered to add stock nav to the pcm. I paid 499.00 for tom tom and installed myself. I did hide the cord there it came out looking pretty good. very easy to see the gps mounted there.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

leave it in and attached, put a hat over it to protect it from the sun and prying eyes.
Auto insurance covers it for theft!
My 2 previous cars a 911C2 and my Lexus RX300 Had Magellan Roadmates in them and I kept one for car rentals.
My 06 C2S and Lexus Hybrid have nav so I don't use anymore, however I did use in the Lexus for 2 months because easier to program than the factory unit. Easier than the Porsche unit also!!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

The TomTom unit is wonderful here in Europe with the updates to safety cameras (speed cameras) and traffic downloads that speed up you cross country trips, also a plus I can take it with me to the states and put it in the rental car. However I do not see a very good way to install outside of the suction cups. If you find a better solution let us all know and include the pics.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rountreed
The TomTom unit is wonderful here in Europe with the updates to safety cameras (speed cameras) and traffic downloads that speed up you cross country trips, also a plus I can take it with me to the states and put it in the rental car. However I do not see a very good way to install outside of the suction cups. If you find a better solution let us all know and include the pics.
I used the suction cup in the corner of the windshield on the drivers side. Looks and works great. I guess you could velcro it to the front of the dash over the grovebox but that isn't any better than the suction cup. Might stop some prying eyes. The hat idea is great since I wear one almost all the time.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I would love to see pictures of your intall. I was considering it and decided not to do it given its cost. I would love to see the pics--thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I would love to see pictures of your intall. I was considering it and decided not to do it given its cost. I would love to see the pics--thanks.
I will charge the digital camera and snap some pics to post. Should be up later tonight. I think I have to join to post so I need to do that as well. Stay tuned.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
golfman
Instructor

Can't upload photos til they give a password and username for the membership area I guess. They said could take a day after I joined to get email.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
Can't upload photos til they give a password and username for the membership area I guess. They said could take a day after I joined to get email.
you can upload your pictures to www.photobucket.com (free) and copy and paste your photo link in your message
Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 PM
golfman
Instructor

ok here we go. Thanks for the help

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

The one thing I don't like about the Porsche Nav is that you have to look down at it. I like the install on your dash the best. The nice thing the Porsche Nav is that it has the voice prompts come through the radio.

It's just too bad if you have the Nav added to the PCM after the purchase, it becomes a Gold Plated option.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a really nice, clean solution to both installation issues. another option would be to get a mount from proclip - www.proclipusa.com - no affiliation, but a satisfied customer. i use one of their mounts in my suburban for a magellan roadmate 700. good stuff. they actually have 997 model specific mounts.

Quick Reply: Tom Tom install