Sponsored by:

Rejex on a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejex for me...

I'd love to use Zaino, but I'm lazy. Rejex works very, very well and personally, I like the "saran wrap" look...

-don
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2006, 07:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I found the saran wrap coment funny...I went out and looked at my c2S and bmw x5 again and they just shine with a very deep see your self in the mirror look.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Deanski...and others....
Are there any differences or pros/cons of Rejex on a lighter colored car vs wax like Zanio or P21S? Does the color of the vehicle make a difference. I have an Arctic Silver/black 997 so I don't know if the "wet look" applies as much as it would somebody with let's say a 'black/black" vehicle.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Deanski...and others....
Are there any differences or pros/cons of Rejex on a lighter colored car vs wax like Zanio or P21S? Does the color of the vehicle make a difference. I have an Arctic Silver/black 997 so I don't know if the "wet look" applies as much as it would somebody with let's say a 'black/black" vehicle.
Rejex does look good on silver metallic cars due to the very high reflective look to Rejex. On darker cars, Rejex looks too sterile and that's when you really notice the "Saran Wrap" look to it. Some like it, others don't. Due to the high reflective nature of Rejex on silver, it will have a wet look apperience to it in a way, but not a deep wet like other sealants and waxes. Very bright is another way of describing it.

Wax, P21S on silver makes it POP as well, very nice wax. Their Paintwork Cleanser is one of the best mild polishes out.

Darker colors red/black benifit from Souveran wax or other sealants that to not look too sterile, unless that's what you want. Zaino has improved the look 100% in that it now has a deeper wetter look to it. Souveran wax is one of my favorite wax for black. A good glaze prior then applying Souveran makes black look like a rolling pool! Very wet and deep looking.

Sealants are very clear optically, wereas wax due to the nature of it tend to have a deep wet look, but muted or somewhat distorted effect. Unless you're used to looking at this all the time, you'll never tell.

The other sealants: Klasse, FK1, Wolfgang, Poorboys, Meguiars, Blackfire, 4 Star etc all have somewhat different looks. When Meguiars released NXT, it was to somewhat blend the effects of a sealant (longer life) and wax (wettness) in one formula. It does what it was designed for and works darn well.

There's always the "wax on wax off" method of some sealants and others (Zaino) taking more steps to gain what you're looking for. The FK1 sealants seem to work very well, easy t use and have a nice deep look to them. They are somewhat anti-static.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I still love that "Saran Wrap Look" comment...too funny! I love ReJex and it works and looks extremely good for me. I drive my car everyday and love the lasting protection.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mike - when we racing?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

For dark collors, do you use glaze on top of the sealant? Assume sealant would not bond it glaze under it.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by robbonds
mike - when we racing?
Hey Rob, ready when you are! You should sign up for the Sebring traqck day in Nov through the local Suncoast Porsche club. I am signed up and can't wait. Anyway, I am around this week however I am under the weather right now but getting better.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

997C2, I just washed my car and appiled the Rejex and wiped it off. I waited another few weeks and a couple of washings and applied a 2nd coat. It's amazing stuff.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997 C2
For dark collors, do you use glaze on top of the sealant? Assume sealant would not bond it glaze under it.
Correct! Glaze contains oils and fillers (clay) and not one sealant will bond correctly.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
I found the saran wrap coment funny...I went out and looked at my c2S and bmw x5 again and they just shine with a very deep see your self in the mirror look.
That's right. the "see yourself in the mirror look" is known as the sterile look to some sealants and Rejex is one of them. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. In fact, I see quite a few MB black cars having a very similar look to whatever sealant the dealer did for the customer. It normally would be Auto Magic product or another one hyped as a long term sealant, but still needs "maintenance" or warranty void as to sealant.

You will get a more deeper wetter look with Zaino or wax. More so with wax as Zaino is close, but not quite there yet, close but not perfect. Wax will always give a very deeper, wetter look. Only drawback in waxes is that it will look a bit muted or distorted. Sealants do not have that effect unless a wax was mixed in with it (Poorboys EX).

Being in the detail industry for many many years, I've seen quite a lot of new products and different items. The latest rage is the "glass Fiber Micrograin" and MOH'S hardness of 6 all lasting 5 years! Most Japanese mfg have this "new" techno and hype it often.

Anyway, enjoy whichever looks good to you. Wax, sealants, combo of the two? It's what YOU like. It's only when you see the same car with a better look that you will try newer products. Most of the look (98%) comes from proper prep of the finish. The glossier it is on it's own w/o any wax/glaze/sealant is when you know that whatever you put on it will look stunning.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Deanski, what do you recomend for my clear bra? Should I just put ReJex on it, wipe down with Novus or Plexus or just leave it alone?

Also it makes sence of what you say about waxes looking more muted or distorted and ReJex looking brighter, shine and that clear saran wrap look. I guess the oils in the traditional waxes do that to the finish and the ReJex does not. I use to use nothing but carnuba type of waxes like S100, PS21, Mequires, Colonite and so forth and noticed they had a more oily type of feel and the ReJex does not. I've never tried Zanio or Griot's that a lot of people talk about so maybe I will some day but for right now I enjoy the ReJex durability, ease of use and the clear mirror like finish on my black car.
take care, Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Deanski, what do you recomend for my clear bra? Should I just put ReJex on it, wipe down with Novus or Plexus or just leave it alone?

Also it makes sence of what you say about waxes looking more muted or distorted and ReJex looking brighter, shine and that clear saran wrap look. I guess the oils in the traditional waxes do that to the finish and the ReJex does not. I use to use nothing but carnuba type of waxes like S100, PS21, Mequires, Colonite and so forth and noticed they had a more oily type of feel and the ReJex does not. I've never tried Zanio or Griot's that a lot of people talk about so maybe I will some day but for right now I enjoy the ReJex durability, ease of use and the clear mirror like finish on my black car.
take care, Mike
As for the clear bra film, I'd stay with Plexus. You don't want to add too much to it as it may start to degrade the film. Best is to always find out from the mfg what reacts to the film. Most waxes only yellow it. With the sun hitting it, you do not want a whole lot on the film.

Waxes are full of oils. Glazes even more oils! That's what gives the illusion of wet-look on a glazed finish. It's also important to remove that oil for any sealant so the sealant can bond correctly. Besides, with the removal of glaze you'll see the marring it hid, which then means you have to remove that marring prior to sealing or it will show up like mad. I'm in he same boat, black 997 C2S. PITA to keep perfect.

If the Rejex is working for you, no need to rush out and change. I used to give out samples to some detailers when Menzerna released P085RD and 106FF polishes. Those polishes were made specific to MB/Maybach "Ceramiclear" clearcoat finish. We found out that on nomal finishes, it works damn well as it works fast w/o haze and bring a finish to a very very high shine w/o going down to a cleanser polish or resort to a glaze. Now, you cannot get it in the USA as they stopped importing it, but the 106FF is in a "consumer grade line" of polishes from Blackfire called Blackfire Scratch Resistant CLear Finish Polish.

If I have to do black on a MB or Porsche and the owner likes the look of a wax, the only one I use is Souveran with a good glaze under it. Once done, it looks like a wet, deep rolling pool. Then you have the MB owners who want "freshen" the dealers sealant. All are commercial grade sealants and very (your favorite analogy) Saran-Wrap looking (bright gloss, no depth) But very very reflective. It looks like a black mirror as opposed to the pool effect in laymans terms.

Enjoy what works for you and stick with it!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Great Wax Example

OK, here's a link to Autopia and one member who does some exceptional work with waxes. Those that have Autopia accounts will see what Souveran can do and what Meguiars 16 can do as well. The last pics of the black '06 Z06 Vette were in a garage.

Here's the link:Depth of waxes: Meguiars and Souveran

Interesting, the SC430 pics are the same color and combo I used on my own red SC430 with Ecru interior.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Deanski
OK, here's a link to Autopia and one member who does some exceptional work with waxes. Those that have Autopia accounts will see what Souveran can do and what Meguiars 16 can do as well. The last pics of the black '06 Z06 Vette were in a garage.

Here's the link:Depth of waxes: Meguiars and Souveran

Interesting, the SC430 pics are the same color and combo I used on my own red SC430 with Ecru interior.

Regards,
Deanski
Deanski, that link goes to a Infinite G35...it looks really really shiney and nice though. I have some S100 still around so want if I applied it over the ReJex? Any extra protection? Would with give me some depth? I might try a small spot on my black X5 to compare. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Rejex on a 997?